Can't get steering wheel off

/ Can't get steering wheel off #11  
Re: Can\'t get steering wheel off

If the steering wheel has a small threaded hole on each side of the shaft you can use a harmonic balancer puller. That's probably the cheapest puller you can buy that will work. It usually comes with several sizes of bolts, some of which are metric. If not, be patient and take the nut off, shoot some penetrating oil on the shaft and use your tractor as usual. The vibration and p-oil will eventually do the job.

/ Can't get steering wheel off #12  

If the steering wheel has a small threaded hole on each side of the shaft you can use a harmonic balancer puller. That's probably the cheapest puller you can buy that will work. It usually comes with several sizes of bolts, some of which are metric. If not, be patient and take the nut off, shoot some penetrating oil on the shaft and use your tractor as usual. The vibration and p-oil will eventually do the job.

/ Can't get steering wheel off #13  

Repaired the steering gear box on my tractor several years ago. Had the same problem pulling the steering wheel.

Puller didn't work
Took it to local tire shop and they couldn't do it

Took it with me to dealer when I was picking up parts. Service manger looked at it, said "Hmm" took it back into the shop for several minutes and then came back with the steering wheel off. He used the Brass Hammer!

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Can't get steering wheel off #14  

Repaired the steering gear box on my tractor several years ago. Had the same problem pulling the steering wheel.

Puller didn't work
Took it to local tire shop and they couldn't do it

Took it with me to dealer when I was picking up parts. Service manger looked at it, said "Hmm" took it back into the shop for several minutes and then came back with the steering wheel off. He used the Brass Hammer!

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Can't get steering wheel off #15  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The vibration and p-oil will eventually do the job. )</font>

No amount of penetrating oil and vibration will work. The shaft is tapered. As the steering wheel goes down it wedges, by design, to keep it from coming loose.

I don't think these steering wheels have holes to use harmonic balancer pullers. My YM2020 doesn't. I took it off to replace the dash panel on it.

/ Can't get steering wheel off #16  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The vibration and p-oil will eventually do the job. )</font>

No amount of penetrating oil and vibration will work. The shaft is tapered. As the steering wheel goes down it wedges, by design, to keep it from coming loose.

I don't think these steering wheels have holes to use harmonic balancer pullers. My YM2020 doesn't. I took it off to replace the dash panel on it.

/ Can't get steering wheel off

Eddie is right, there are no holes to hook a regular steering wheel puller to. All you can work with is the wheel itself or the back of the hub and the end of the column.

Don't have a brass hammer. Could obviously get one.

What do you think about a block of wood on the column, hitting it with my rivet gun (a gloified and more expensive air hammer) while another person pulls on the wheel?

/ Can't get steering wheel off

Eddie is right, there are no holes to hook a regular steering wheel puller to. All you can work with is the wheel itself or the back of the hub and the end of the column.

Don't have a brass hammer. Could obviously get one.

What do you think about a block of wood on the column, hitting it with my rivet gun (a gloified and more expensive air hammer) while another person pulls on the wheel?

/ Can't get steering wheel off #19  

1. buy a new wheel.
2 saw of or use a cutting torch on the old one
3 repair dash
4 install new wheel

/ Can't get steering wheel off #20  

1. buy a new wheel.
2 saw of or use a cutting torch on the old one
3 repair dash
4 install new wheel