Can't get steering wheel off

/ Can't get steering wheel off #21  
Re: Can\'t get steering wheel off

Cheaper to get a brass hammer at Harbor Freight!

/ Can't get steering wheel off #22  

Cheaper to get a brass hammer at Harbor Freight!

/ Can't get steering wheel off #23  

I'm still confused about the brass hammer , Eddie. I'm going to hit the nut, not the shaft. If I bruise the nut, they're about $.25.

/ Can't get steering wheel off #24  

I'm still confused about the brass hammer , Eddie. I'm going to hit the nut, not the shaft. If I bruise the nut, they're about $.25.

/ Can't get steering wheel off #25  

That ought to work right now. It would make it a 2 man job. One needs to be pulling up on the wheel while the other hits it. (the shaft)

/ Can't get steering wheel off #26  

That ought to work right now. It would make it a 2 man job. One needs to be pulling up on the wheel while the other hits it. (the shaft)

/ Can't get steering wheel off #27  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm still confused about the brass hammer , Eddie. I'm going to hit the nut, not the shaft. If I bruise the nut, they're about $.25. )</font>

If you leave the nut high enough just to hit it then it will crush down on the threads and end of the shaft. I have crushed the nut and damaged the end of the shaft using a regular hammer. A brass hammer will not crush the nut or damage the shaft. A dead blow hammer will work also. You do it however you want to, but I will always use a brass hammer after a problem I had one time.

/ Can't get steering wheel off #28  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm still confused about the brass hammer , Eddie. I'm going to hit the nut, not the shaft. If I bruise the nut, they're about $.25. )</font>

If you leave the nut high enough just to hit it then it will crush down on the threads and end of the shaft. I have crushed the nut and damaged the end of the shaft using a regular hammer. A brass hammer will not crush the nut or damage the shaft. A dead blow hammer will work also. You do it however you want to, but I will always use a brass hammer after a problem I had one time.

/ Can't get steering wheel off #29  

I realize how the shaft is made, etc. I think a lot are made that way. We don't know how bad the rust is, if any. My suggestion to use penetrating oil and just drive it around is not going to get it off any time soon but it does work.

/ Can't get steering wheel off #30  

I realize how the shaft is made, etc. I think a lot are made that way. We don't know how bad the rust is, if any. My suggestion to use penetrating oil and just drive it around is not going to get it off any time soon but it does work.