Car Insurance skyrocketing

/ Car Insurance skyrocketing #61  
I just got off the phone with my SF agent to pay my bill for the wife's car. Our rates have been going up about $10 every 6 mo for that car. The lady on the phone said we are way better than most people as her rate jumped $200 this last time.

/ Car Insurance skyrocketing #62  
Man, I feel lucky after reading some of these post. I have a F150 and an Escape with high amount liability, collision with 1000 deductible, full comprehensive and 95 ram with liability only for 647.00 every 6 months through Farm Bureau

/ Car Insurance skyrocketing #64  
The cheaper the fuel, the more a person drives.

My mother gave my nephew an almost new Honda Insight about a little over a year ago, getting about 50 MPG, and he has put nearly 50,000 miles on it.

My guess is if he had a vintage pickup that got 6 MPG and had saddle 20 gallon tanks, he would be driving a heck of a lot less.

I have wondered about automatic everything in a vehicle. With a 3 speed manual one is much more in tune with driving and road conditions.

/ Car Insurance skyrocketing #65  
We have State Farm for all our cars. It hasn't gone up appreciably. Yet.

If you got a ticket or had an accident they'll jack your rates up for years.
State Farm will just straight out cancel you if you make two back to back claims. Even if there was nothing claimed for 10 years. Meanwhile the wife has had many accidents, and damage to her full coverage car with Pimco and they pay out with no rate increase.
Its weird, cause i wanted to see if she could get on Progressive as a consolidated policy, and they said it would be prohibitive and more expensive, if you did that. Gotta love good USA based customer service. :)

/ Car Insurance skyrocketing #66  
Everything is going up, but ask some certain folks and they will tell you the economy has never been better and you are definitely better off now than 4 years ago!
They lie.

/ Car Insurance skyrocketing #67  
I could see where autobody shop costs are rising and we are feeling the trickle down effects.
One thing I think contributed more to increased repair costs is the insurance industry itself. If 'insurance is paying' everything costs more. The vehicle owner has no reason to use a less expensive equivalent part or repair technique if the cost is not his alone.

Good example is rental car coverage on auto policies. In Texas for years the standard limit on rental car coverage was $15 a day for a max of $600. You could actually rent a car then for $15 a day plus tax. Then as expenses increased and cars became more expensive the rental companies bought smaller cars they could make available for $15. Some people started wanting nicer, bigger cars to drive while theirs was in the shop for 'insurance repairs'. Insurance companies could sell higher limits on rental coverage and if you're paying for $30-$50 a day coverage you are not going to get a $20 car.

Also if you go to a body shop that does a lot of 'insurance work' everybody from the wash boy on up has an I-CAR certification of some kind and they bill 'insurance customers' accordingly. The insurance companies themselves demanded those 'certification standards' so shops would 'qualify' for their 'direct repair programs'.

/ Car Insurance skyrocketing
Fox News financial news >
"Drivers paid an average of $1841 to insure a car in 2023, or 5% more than they did the previous year. That comes after a 15% jump between 2022 and 2023. Unfortunately, according to the report, 2024 is likely to bring more of the same. "

/ Car Insurance skyrocketing #69  
Our annual Farm Bureau coverage on both property and auto is due next month.

Auto:
2001 Chev 1500PU, 2002 Ford Windstar, both with minimum coverage, and 2010 Ram 1500, full coverage, primary vehicle. Up $96 for the year.

Property:
2100 sq. ft., 2 story house, 2 150 sq. ft. out buildings, 1-1/2 acres. Up $523 for the year. Did have a $3K claim due to a tree coming down on the roof.

Still shopping.

/ Car Insurance skyrocketing #70  
The cheaper the fuel, the more a person drives.

My mother gave my nephew an almost new Honda Insight about a little over a year ago, getting about 50 MPG, and he has put nearly 50,000 miles on it.

My guess is if he had a vintage pickup that got 6 MPG and had saddle 20 gallon tanks, he would be driving a heck of a lot less.

I have wondered about automatic everything in a vehicle. With a 3 speed manual one is much more in tune with driving and road conditions.
I dont know what your miles driven have to do with paying attention to the road, following applicable traffic laws, and knowing how to drive so that you dont get into accidents.
I drive about 50,000 miles/year, and have done so for the last 30 years. In that time I've had one accident, in 2010 when a tree fell across the road onto my company truck. Before that, in 1991 I rolled a friend's van when a deer stepped out in front of me.