Car Insurance skyrocketing

/ Car Insurance skyrocketing #71  
I had a 71 Mustang in the early 70s. I was in the outside lane of a 4-lane divided road (not a highway) going into a sharp right turn. It was near downtown and the speed limit was 25. The guy ahead of me about three car lengths was in the left lane. Wet road conditions after heavy rain. The guy in the left lane slid into the divider and bounced back across both lanes. I couldn't stop and hit him in the left-rear corner. The cop gave me a ticket for following too close and said the accident was my fault. I told the cop the other driver was traveling backwards in my lane at the time I hit him. Didn't matter to him--I hit the other guy in the rear. :rolleyes:

Oh, to have a dashcam back then. It probably didn't help I was 22 and looked like 10-year-old with a mustache. 🥹

/ Car Insurance skyrocketing #72  
I dont know what your miles driven have to do with paying attention to the road, following applicable traffic laws, and knowing how to drive so that you dont get into accidents.
The more time on the road, the greater the overall risk. Although there is also an element of experience. But there are also many other factors such as following distances, speed, and how "rushed" a driver is.

If one picks out a Prius, Insight, or similar and says it is accident prone, then the question is why. I've driven both and find them comfortable to drive. I like the paddle regen on the Insight and think it is excellent for driving in inclement weather.

I do wonder about the growth of electronic screens in the vehicles, although that is hitting across the market.

/ Car Insurance skyrocketing #73  
More woe on the Insurance front reported in the morning paper...

The lesser coverage and high premiums plus split policies are one more reason to bail in California.

Lots of longtime claim free policy holders facing huge increases...

Napa... 2021 8k... 2024 30k

Pacifica Condos 2021 22k for 14m
Pacifica Condos 2024 270k for 2.5m

Placerville 2020 1.5k. 2024 15k

Everyone speaks is sustainability but retired and just those everyday working stiffs are finding insurance nightmares...

/ Car Insurance skyrocketing #74  
The more time on the road, the greater the overall risk
This must be why I've driven well over two millon miles without an at fault accident. (It's probably been twice that in my life)This reminds me of a conversation I had at the dinner table in a logging camp; the guy sitting across from me said that statistically speaking, people have an accident every 3 years. Then he said "I've had 3 this year."
I looked at the guy sitting next to me and said "it looks like he's already taken care of yours and mine."

/ Car Insurance skyrocketing #75  
Auto insurance is crazy here in Florida but it's no wonder when you see the commercials or billboards where the ambulance chasers advertise the huge settlements (250k-$2mil)they get for small accidents.

I got a small dent in my rear bumper and the dealer got $4k from my insurer. The insurer recommended the dealer btw. I also had tiny dent in my front quarter from a grocery cart and the dealer wanted $1k. I instead paid a dentless repair guy $200.
Yeah better call Dan Newlin, those commercials make me sick. A number of year's ago a semi ran a red light and hit me but by the grace of God I survived, I will never forget the company that owned the semi asking me to sign a waiver to release them from any responsibility which I refused to do, but I didn't hire an attorney and sue them either, I didn't have any real ongoing problems so I was happy with just that.

/ Car Insurance skyrocketing #76  
Wow - California basically became unlivable for the average Joe. So much for paradise west.

A colleague from Milwaukee moved to Sacramento for a job promotion. After he'd been there a while, he said he'd never return. Hah!

Vehicles are becoming uninsurable due to all the tech they've stuffed into these things. Sure, they've reduce the crash rate, I'm sure, but if you do crash one they cost too much to fix with all the sensors a technoglitz in them today.

/ Car Insurance skyrocketing #77  
It's hard to recruit professionals to California even with higher pay...

/ Car Insurance skyrocketing #78  
Wow - California basically became unlivable for the average Joe. So much for paradise west.

A colleague from Milwaukee moved to Sacramento for a job promotion. After he'd been there a while, he said he'd never return. Hah!

Vehicles are becoming uninsurable due to all the tech they've stuffed into these things. Sure, they've reduce the crash rate, I'm sure, but if you do crash one they cost too much to fix with all the sensors a technoglitz in them today.
I think that automotive property damage repairs would be a very minor portion of insurance claim costs. The real costs are medical claims.

/ Car Insurance skyrocketing #79  
I dont know what your miles driven have to do with paying attention to the road, following applicable traffic laws, and knowing how to drive so that you dont get into accidents.
I drive about 50,000 miles/year, and have done so for the last 30 years. In that time I've had one accident, in 2010 when a tree fell across the road onto my company truck. Before that, in 1991 I rolled a friend's van when a deer stepped out in front of me.
You rolled your friends van because of a lousy deer ? How did that happen ?

/ Car Insurance skyrocketing #80  
You rolled your friends van because of a lousy deer ? How did that happen ?
I stepped on the brakes and it went sideways. I countersteered and it went the other way, RR tire caught the edge of the pavement and sucked me into the ditch.
It was an old GMC one ton with drum brakes all around which didn't brake straight. The door would randomly open, and no seat belts.
His employees thanked me for wrecking it.