Backhoe Case 480C ate the dipstick

/ Case 480C ate the dipstick #11  
Ouch, too bad about the engine. I've never dealt with, or heard anything about AgKits. did a quick Google search, and there seems to be complaints of customer service, rather than parts themselves.

Did you call Joseph Industries, I put the link in for above..?? I know their customer service is excellent, and would think they may match AgKits price. Won't know until you call.

Personally, I prefer to get a sleeve kit, and gasket set at the best price. As far as the rod & main bearings, I get them through a local shop. I have the crank checked, and if it needs turned, let them order the bearings. If you have a problem, you deal with someone local, and get the problem resolved. You really don't know what bearings you need, until someone checks it anyway. I also let the local shop align the wrist pin bushings for a good fit. Just personal preference. It may cost a few dollars more, but, a lot less expensive, and time consuming if something isn't right.

Good luck..!!

/ Case 480C ate the dipstick
I bought the brake cylinders at Joseph's per your recommendation and asked about engine rebuild kits. They don't supply them. Too bad because I was very happy with the parts they did supply.

The bearings were original and not in bad shape which leads me to believe that the hour meter at 2610 hours is correct. I checked the crank and it mikes right on spec values so I'm confident that std bearings will be AOK.

You won't believe this story but my wife and I were on the road that the previous owner of the backhoe lived on so we stopped to see if he had the intake weather cap laying around. He didn't, but he said, "OH! I do have the back window for it". WOW! What a surprise. I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. There were two rollers and shafts missing, of which I have finished making. Roller.jpg

/ Case 480C ate the dipstick #13  
Glad you were happy with their parts. Strange they said they didn't handle OH kits, it shows that they do.  - Joseph Industries Maybe they haven't updated their pages in quite a while.

Good to hear you can check the crank, and journals are still in specs. A good while back, I read in one of a gazillion threads on OH kits, that there are only 3 companies that make them for all vendors/brands. I don't recall anyone saying that any of them were not any good. So, basically, it boils down to price, and cost of shipping. How they treat the customer fulfilling the order and shipping would be seen after the order was placed. I guess you can take the chance, then let us know how things went. Just like me suggesting Joseph Industries, I couldn't have asked for better service, and parts for the price.

Thank you for your reply. When I had Joseph's on the phone and I ordered the brake parts, I asked about the OH kit and the guy also asked someone else there and they both said no. But your link clearly shows different. I will have to call again. Also good to hear about the 3 companies that are all good. That will make me sleep better:)

Today I am going to install the back window and see how it rolls up overhead. It is all FUN, but I tell my wife I am outside WORKING!

/ Case 480C ate the dipstick #15  
Other than the full glass cab, mine looks identical, even the extenda-hoe, except mine has floaters on the front. I wish they made the front glass tilt up too. I hate working, looking through glass. Reflections on the inside, seing what's behind you, instead of what you should be looking at, or going directly into the sun later in the evening.

In Sept., I loaded 934 tons of bankrun gravel with mine, and hauled it on my little 1-ton dump for a new building pad. I don't use mine a lot, but, when I use it, I use it..!!

Attachments

• DSC01682.JPG
    DSC01682.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 259
  • DSC01681.JPG
    DSC01681.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 273
DJ54, I was wondering if you had any issues with the fuel injectors. The engine I have is a Case G188D s/n 2833202. The injector # is #20673 Case #A140828 (hard to find). A newer injector #20671 Case #A140829 appears to be a replacement but one web site supplier said that the new ones won't work. I was wondering why they won't work and have you had any problems or solutions? Nice truck and backhoe by the way.

/ Case 480C ate the dipstick #17  
Nope, (knock on wood), no problems so far. Did you find the part numbers through the Case parts site..?? Case was great at changing things, at certain serial number breaks.

Using Google, I found several of the A140828's. Anywhere from $110, down to around $60 rebuilt. Before I bought from an online supplier on something like that, I'd look for a local diesel supply shop, and see if they could rebuild them. Probably cheaper than buying from an online supplier, and if you have a problem, easier to take back to a local shop, then ship back & forth, to make it right, if need be.

The old injector p/n was in my parts manual. When I would search suppliers web pages I would get the new p/n and not the old one. The newer one on eBay was $29. Google the new p/n and lots of pages came up. Case parts site came up with no match for the old p/n. Shame on them.

I pulled the trigger on the engine rebuild kit from AGKITS. They also had a hard time finding the old injector but after a call they found a rebuilt (cleaned & adjusted) one for $56.

I called Joseph's and they don't sell engine rebuild kits, they said "no money in it". AGKITS had a good review on Yesterdays tractor forum.

Received the seal kit for the steering cylinders and am working on them today. All fun!

/ Case 480C ate the dipstick #19  
Sounds like things are coming along. I hope you reminded Joseph's, that maybe they need to update their site, if they aren't going to sell the OH kits. I know I would have, LOL...

Hope you've got it in a nice warm shop, going to get chilly here the next few days, and maybe 2"-4" of snow by late tomorrow night, starting in the morning.

We got 28" last night and today. Worked all day shoveling roofs and plowing. My old backhoe now has to be outside because the new one is in the tractor shed (not heated). It takes me 45 minutes to clean off the tin I have covering it, heat the coolant and get it started. It doesn't like being out in the weather.

My wife lets me work on the kitchen table so I am going to install the seals on the steering cylinder maybe tomorrow but the forecast is another 12 to 24 inches. Yesterday I broke loose the ball joints from the tractor on the second steering cylinder. What a job. Lots of heat and sludge hammer hitting the fork. I don't like the torch under the tractor. I did have a fire extinguisher handy.