Backhoe Case 480C ate the dipstick

/ Case 480C ate the dipstick
I have a clutch and prefer the simplicity.

What I did with the cab floor was cut it into kind of a triangle with the point of the triangle terminating under the seat post. That way I can see the back tires. I am used to my old IH tractor, and the cab of the 480C makes me feel closed in. I am hoping that I will get used to it. The cap has heat so I think I can.

/ Case 480C ate the dipstick #32  
The torque converter has me spoiled, especially when you load out 30 some loads a day, and 5 buckets full to fill the truck. The old 310 had a clutch, and I definitely felt it at the end of the day, loading that many loads. The important thing with a TC, is to come to a complete stop, before changing directions. That's a lot of torque slamming something, if you don't, and shortens the life of it dramatically.

All in what we get used to.

Hi DJ54, Finally got time to sit down this winter and fill you in on what happened since the last post.

On the advice of two people I sent the injection pump off to the repair shop and bought 4 new injectors. Finished rebuilding the engine and does it run nice. All kinds of power!

While flushing the fuel tank I fished out a plastic nozzle from a plastic fuel tank and also the screen that went with it, separately. Had to make 3 special tools, long chop sticks, a wire with an L shape at the end and welded a screw on the end of a long wire to get them out.

The tilt cylinder on the front bucket was making jerking movements when contracting. Turns out that the 1.5" diameter ram shaft was bent .25". Straightened it also with my press and got it straight to within .002". That was a difficult job, but got it back together with new seals. It was still was choppy. I took the sight glass out to clean it, thinking it was full, but the glass was dirty and guess what, there was only one gallon of hydraulic fluid in the tank. After filling the tank everything went smoothly. I'm embarrassed because I should have checked it sooner.

I installed all new hoses on the front bucket, the backhoe lift cylinder hoses and one stabilizer cylinder hoses. New battery, cables, starting solenoid and alternator because it wasn't starting well.

I am now in the process of rebuilding the stabilizer arm bushings, they were completely gone and I had to weld the egg shape hole to fit the new homemade bushings.

I found a new problem while using the tractor. The forward/reverse lever is barley putting the transmission into gear in either direction. The guy that had it before me said he had his brother rebuild it. I think he didn't put it together properly, so this summer it has to come apart to see whats the matter.

This backhoe has way more problems than I expected for only having 2600 hours on it. The shop that rebuilt the injection pump confirmed that the engine had low hours. When I am finished it will be a good machine, and that was what I wanted was a retirement project but give me a brake!

Oh, I forgot to mention I bought an International 444, put a Fisher plow on it and then bought a snowblower for the back. I put an oil pressure gauge on the 444 and no oil pressure after 15 minutes of running. The oil pump cover was pot metal and had bowed between the bolts. It had to have been that way for years. So I reinforced it with .25" plate. I works great now. I will be using it on this upcoming storm.

/ Case 480C ate the dipstick #35  
Wow! I'm dreaming about a good backhoe and Case is at the top of my wish list but, if yours had only 2600 hours and all those problems, maybe I should wake up and use a shovel.

Don't get me wrong, Case is one heck of a backhoe, I think the people before me used it hard. Even with all the problems I am still happy with the machine, although a shovel is cheaper and generally won't break down. Since I have had a backhoe though, I have forgotten how to use a shovel.

Last edited:
   / Case 480C ate the dipstick #37  
Hey Steve, good to hear you got it going. Yes they are a high maintenance machine, if you don't take care of it, and how you operate it. I still have mine, but don't use it as much as I did, but still use it quite often for little jobs. When I first bought both of them, the 480 was simply an upgrade, I had in mind to sell it when I was done with the major stuff. Now, I'm not so sure. It's just so handy to have around, and have a couple other jobs to do with it yet. Not all that much for the hoe, but way more than I think I want to shovel anymore. Guess my age is showing now, and seems I get Tennis Elbow anymore, when digging with a shovel for over 5-6 hours. Plus 99 other jobs with the loader, saves me changing the bucket on the loader on the IH 656, which is not a quick-tach.

Case is a nice light hoe, with decent power. If I had my 'druthers,and a larger truck to pull the trailer with, a real nice Ford 550 4 stick would be my preference. Break out force has to be half again as much, and much faster cycle time too. But, the 480C is light enough to pull with my 1 Ton dump, so it works for me. Still way faster than using that #2 Razorback..!!

/ Case 480C ate the dipstick #38  
Hey Steve, good to hear you got it going. Yes they are a high maintenance machine, if you don't take care of it, and how you operate it. I still have mine, but don't use it as much as I did, but still use it quite often for little jobs. When I first bought both of them, the 480 was simply an upgrade, I had in mind to sell it when I was done with the major stuff. Now, I'm not so sure. It's just so handy to have around, and have a couple other jobs to do with it yet. Not all that much for the hoe, but way more than I think I want to shovel anymore. Guess my age is showing now, and seems I get Tennis Elbow anymore, when digging with a shovel for over 5-6 hours. Plus 99 other jobs with the loader, saves me changing the bucket on the loader on the IH 656, which is not a quick-tach.

Case is a nice light hoe, with decent power. If I had my 'druthers,and a larger truck to pull the trailer with, a real nice Ford 550 4 stick would be my preference. Break out force has to be half again as much, and much faster cycle time too. But, the 480C is light enough to pull with my 1 Ton dump, so it works for me. Still way faster than using that #2 Razorback..!!

I have a 49 year old 4 lever Ford 3400 TLB that I have owned for 33 years.
The hoe breakout force is amazing.
Went through the entire machine 3 years ago, and it looks nearly new.
I now have the itch for a 4WD machine, with two stick hoe, though it is for play only, and I do not need it.
Am looking for a 1000 hour or less Kubota L48, and hope that getting rid of my fantastic Ford will not be a mistake.
Any opinions?

DJ54, I agree, I don't need a backhoe but it sure is nice and handy. I like to dig drainage ditches and drain pipes and transplant large trees among other things. Couldn't live without one now that I have one.

By the way what is a #2 Razorback?

fried1765, I have only owned 2 backhoes, my first was a '64 3414 gasser and it was a good machine, very little maintenance costs. And the 480C Case that I currently have. Haven't used the backhoe yet but it has the extend a hoe which is another dimension that will be very nice. Still have to tighten it up before I use it. For me, the Case has lots of power, much more than the 3414, and it is a well built machine and designed for ease of maintenance and operation. It is a good looking machine too.

/ Case 480C ate the dipstick #40  
45520-main.jpg Click on picture to enlarge...