Backhoe Case 480C ate the dipstick

/ Case 480C ate the dipstick #21  
Well keep it up there, LOL... We got around 3" day before yesterday, and that's enough for me this year. I'm ready for Spring.

I've got myself spoiled with my 3rd heated shop. First one had a coal furnace. Second one had a waste oil burner. And now this one, I brought the waste oil burner with me out of the shop, from the other place I sold, plus have a wood/coal stove. I leave the WOF set at 50º, to keep the concrete floor that warm. Doesn't take much to keep it at that temp, and higher with the coal stove, once I'm out there working. Conserves oil too.

I picked up 14 tons of coal last year from a fellow selling a commercial lot, that was once a coal yard. He needed to get rid of the coal, so posted it on Craigslist for free, just to get rid of it. There was probably close to 100 tons all together there, but I only had room for 14-15 tons. Once I get another building up, I plan on making a wood & coal bin. I accidently called him this summer, using the voice activated Blue Tooth in the pickup. He remembered my name, and wanted to know if I needed any more coal, as he still had some. Hopefully, it will still be there when I get my bin built. It's only 18 miles away, and sure beats driving 40 miles to the coal mine, and paying $80.00 per ton..!!

/ Case 480C ate the dipstick
Good deal on the coal. The second snow storm only dropped 3" thank God.

My shed is 16' x 32' with an upstairs. That is where I have a small machine shop and a wood stove. It is a pain in the butt to fire it up though. I usually wait until it is up to 30 deg. outside before I heat her up.

I still haven't assembled the steering cylinder yet. Odd jobs come first. Decided to buy new ball joints. Upon removing them, the female threads needed to be cleaned up. I am going to make a thread chaser from the old ball joints because the OD of the stud is odd at .687".

/ Case 480C ate the dipstick #23  
If it will make you feel better, Google the part number for that steering cylinder, or look on the Case site, at the price. It definitely gives you some incentive to rebuild that stuff, LOL...

Back to winter, cold and snowy. This past summer I rebuilt the engine. Behind the timing cover on the injection pump there were small pieces of rubber from the "flex ring" that is deteriorating. I bought a kit to rebuild the injection pump but two people told me "DON'T DO IT" so I took their advice and sent it out. Haven't herd yet but they said $500 to $1000 to rebuild. Fuel is one of the important things. I guess, if you want to play you have to pay. They are also going to check the injectors also. I want this to be in tip top shape. When I get these parts back I will finish putting it back together. FUN FUN FUN. I left the rocker arm assembly off so all the valves would stay closed. Should have it running this summer!!!!!!!!!

I did rebuild the steering cylinders. Came out good. One of the ram shafts was bent and had to straighten it with my press. Checked it with a flat marble stone.

/ Case 480C ate the dipstick #26  
Good to hear back. Mine is still kicking. Loaded out another 700 tons, or so of bank run gravel last fall, and this fall, for a new building pad. Still need another 200 tons, or so, this Spring to make a gentler grade on the slope going up to I on the one end.

This 480C is the only diesel I have, and if I can help it, will be the only one. Tough for me to justify diesel anything around here, when just ginning around farming. Other than machine work, I can totally rebuild any gasser here. If I were making a living with them, different story.

WOW! That's a lot of gravel. Glad to hear the 480C can handle it.

Got my injection pump rebuild back with 4 new injectors. When it warms up I'll be putting her back together. Can't wait.

This is the first diesel I have ever had and worked on. I have the same opinion as you and talking with my next door neighbor he said diesels are so much better than gassers, hands down. When I get this thing running I'll see what he is talking about.

/ Case 480C ate the dipstick #28  
Glad to hear you got your pump & injectors back. Again, diesels are great for nearly every day use. Here, my biggest tractor, an IH 656 may set for 4-5 months before I use it. Mainly to make hay, pulling the haybine & baler. But, if for some reason I need it in the winter, when it's 15º, she'll start just like in the summer. No glow plugs, or, using ether like you will need on the 480C. They have no glow plugs, and more than likely you'll find the apparatus on it, to strap a small bottle of ether on it to start. Bottles are the same size as a small propane bottle. I just use the spray can type, and just a whiff on days below 35º. Granted, they are much easier on fuel consumption, but, when they get 25-30 years old, and problems come up with the injection pump, and injectors, is the idea of finding a place to work on them, let alone down time to get it repaired. Luckily, I have a place 25 minutes away, and carry all the Roosa-Master parts I needed on the shelf.

I'm not sure how long yours will be setting between uses, but I would advise looking for a fuel additive, that prevents algae growth in the fuel tank. A small bottle will go a long way. I think the brand I got is Bi-Kleen, and only because it was on the discount shelf at TSC. It only takes an ounce or 2, per tankful of fuel. So far, no problems.

I agree with everything you said. I wish my 480C was a gasser but this is a new experience and a new lesson to be learned. Thank you for the fuel additive advice. The usage of the 480C will definitely be sporadic.

I would be very careful on the either. I have read it is bad for diesels. I know they used it to start mine in the past and 3 out of 4 top piston rings were broken and one of the pistons had the spacer between the top and middle ring was also broken. My 480C used to have the ether bottle apparatus also but was gone so a whiff of either probably would be ok. I am going to stay away from it though. I bought a block heater that screws into the block specifically for the 188 engine and I have read about using a heat gun at the intake manifold will help with cold winter starting. I am hoping this diesel will have tons of power.

/ Case 480C ate the dipstick #30  
I've seen a lot of people spray a bunch in the breather, then get on and crank the engine. I've heard quite a few clunks over the years too, doing that. I can stand on the Op. deck, reach around the windshield on the ROPS. I start rolling the engine over first, then one short burst of starter fluid to get it going. My new equipment storage building doesn't have electric ran to it yet, and may be a while. Higher priorities elsewhere here. So no block heater, or blow drier access.

I think you'll be happy with the power, especially with the torque converter. No bogging out, like with a clutch. I have to watch when loading bankrun gravel, or it will spin in sandy material, and not really know it at times. It's all in feathering the throttle, while lifting, and curling the bucket, when in the fine stuff.