Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #1  

doxford jim

Veteran Member
Tractor
1959 MF-65 sold, 2007 Jinma 554 diesel.
Hi all,

After readings 3RRL's thread on Chain Saw Cart, it got me thinking about chains saws.

I am fairly new to the world of chain saws and own a second hand McCulloch 20" saw. It works Ok but does seem to be in constant need of TLC.

I have several mature trees blown down in recent stormy weather and would like to be able to deal with cutting them up without too many problems. I could spend money on replacing various parts on the old saw or, cough up money and buy a new one for a little more.

So my question to all you experienced "chain sawers" is what would you recommend for a home owner, using it on a now and then basis. Money is a consideration (am retired) and would like to be able to get a good buy (who wouldn't). I don't want a professional grade unit so hopefully, the price would be more reasonable.

I have tried looking at reviews and the Poulan Pro 20" seems to get 4 stars out of 5 - but also a lot of comments on starting problems and stalling. I figure some of these would be down to using stale gas or the wrong mixture.

As you can see, I am trying to spend as little as possible - though not necessarily the cheapest.

Any input and/or pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Jim

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #2  
I have Echo chainsaws that for the cost are one of the better values I think. I own Stihl's and Husky's as well. What ever you buy the best advice is use good gas and mix. Then when the saw is going to sit for more than a few days run it out of gas completely. You can either dump it back in the gas can or just run it out. Don't keep mixed gas around too long. Putting Stabil or even some of the 2 cycle mixes have that in it. The gas mix I use is called Opti 2. That is one of the best mixes you can get.
Those old saws are ok but they aren't doing you any good if you get tired just starting it.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #3  
If you have access to power consider an electric chain saw. My cheap Canadian tire model has been going strong for 30 years now although some of the plastic parts may be missing. Think I'm on the third bar. :)

If the use is infrequent and cost is a consideration find one of the inexpensive ones from a chain store. If it works good for the present cutting all is fine. If it doesn't take it back.:)

Note: I'm not an experienced Sawyer but have worn out several saws.One was a reputable brand.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #4  
I have had great luck with my Poulan Pro. The only complaint is it can be hard to start when hot and working in 85 plus deg temps. I only cut 2-3 truck loads a year so I really do not need anything too fancy. The other thing I like is the chains are cheap at WalMart. I get a 2 pack for under $24.

Chris

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #5  
Jim
Given that you are in Canada I think you will find that ECHO, Dolmar and others are for some reason priced quite high. You can't go wrong with a Stihl like the MS 290. Given your retired state the saw will probably last longer than you will be able to use it. The Poulins are, for the money pretty good value.Lots of my neighbours use them as their "truck saw" and they see a lot of abuse. I am about to part out an old MaC that I inherited and will probably buy a cheapy Poulin as my backup saw. JMHO

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #6  
I am fairly new to the world of chain saws and own a second hand McCulloch 20" saw. It works Ok but does seem to be in constant need of TLC.

You don't write on the saw size (CC or CU. IN.).
I've two 35CC's that I run 16" bars.
I've a 62CC John Deere CS 62 that I run a 20" bar and a 28" bar for milling.
I've a 92CC Stihl 660 that I run a 28" bar and a 42" bar for milling. But lot's of people run 20" bars on these.

If your Mac is about 50 to 60CC give it some TLC. A new properly gapped plug ($3) a new filter, a new chain. Run some Seafoam thru it with high octane fuel and good oil. Check the sprocket. Make sure it's tuned properly. It's liable to last a while.

If you NEED to run a 20" bar you need a pro saw.

Look on ebay for some reputable sellers, you can probably pick up a good suitable sized saw for < $400.

Like others wrote old gas is BAD gas.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #7  
I have echo and Stihl I like the echo better

joel

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #8  
Get one with a compression release. Starting becomes so much easier.

I have a Husky 345 -- not the pro level, but one down. Works pretty well for me.

Always use premium gas and always add a double dose of Stabil as well as the oil.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #9  
Hi all,

After readings 3RRL's thread on Chain Saw Cart, it got me thinking about chains saws.

I have several mature trees blown down in recent stormy weather and would like to be able to deal with cutting them up without too many problems. I could spend money on replacing various parts on the old saw or, cough up money and buy a new one for a little more.

So my question to all you experienced "chain sawers" is what would you recommend for a home owner, using it on a now and then basis. Money is a consideration (am retired) and would like to be able to get a good buy (who wouldn't). I don't want a professional grade unit so hopefully, the price would be more reasonable.

I have tried looking at reviews and the Poulan Pro 20" seems to get 4 stars out of 5 - but also a lot of comments on starting problems and stalling. I figure some of these would be down to using stale gas or the wrong mixture.

As you can see, I am trying to spend as little as possible - though not necessarily the cheapest.

Any input and/or pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Jim

Find a good Stihl dealer and talk to them about what you need. You will find what you need and with a Stihl you will not be disappointed.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #10  
How old is your saw? Does the Mcullogh have the hand brake / kickback brake? If not, you should probably buy a new one.

How big are the trees you are wacking? That will predicate your purchase.

For the ordinary homeowner, I think any name brand should be fine. Stihls and Husky's are very popular in our area, with Husky's being the one I see most in loggers trucks. Followed close by Stihl. But you need your gold card to buy in in our area.