Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #31  
Stihl all the way. Do not even consider another brand. Hope this helps. I've been advised that there are only two things you do not lend: 1 chainsaw and 2 tiller.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #32  
I've been advised that there are only two things you do not lend: 1 chainsaw and 2 tiller.
I have been told the two things are your chainsaw and your wife -- something about the condition they might be returned in:ashamed:

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #33  
Yes the condition. I learned the hard way about lending my chainsaw. I got it back with broken chain and burnt bar. I was promted to ask some friends why lending my saw made me feel so bad and was told that the rule is do not lend saw or tiller. The next time I was asked to borrow my saw I gave detailed directions to the location that one just like it could be purchased.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #34  
I was in the exact same situationas you are in two years ago. I went to
TSC and purchased a Husqvarna rancher 455 to clear a downed tree.
A year and maybe 6-8 hours of use later the oil gear drive stripped and I
was stuck with a $100.00 dollar repair. Advice from experience. Avoid the
big box stores and go to a local store that will stand behind their product.
Even if you buy a saw and it breaks under warranty, the big box stores send it off for repair. Traded the 455 for a Stihl MS361c and could not be happier with the Stihl. Night and day difference in saws. Plus the Stihl will probably sell for no less than 75% of what you paid for it.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please
Hi Guys,

Thanks for taking the time to write on this subject - you have really given me lots to think about. Now I have to go out and visit different stores to look see and ask questions. Never thought that there would be that much difference in makes - that shows how much I know (or don't know):D:D

I am in no real hurry so the decision will be a while in the making - you never know I might be able to get the McCullough up and running for a while yet.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments - very much appreciated/

Jim

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #36  
I would try to get the MAC running anyways.

At home, I don't mind one saw. If something tweaks or whatever, I can run back to the garage. Out in the woods cutting firewood ect, if my one saw goes down for whtever reason, I have a backup. Do not like to be an hour or hour and a half out, and have to pack up early because the saw went south. Had that happen some years back with a cheaper saw.

My "collection" has two saws too; one 20" bar setup, and a small 14" setup. Nice having the versatility. It did though, take me a while to get multiple saws; they are not cheap.

I am in no real hurry so the decision will be a while in the making - you never know I might be able to get the McCullough up and running for a while yet.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #37  
I recently borrowed my dad's 45cc Stihl MS250 (don't worry boys, when you lend me your saw, it comes back better than when it left). It had a round tooth chain that wasn't too agressive (probably what it was sold with), it was only turning ~11,000 RPMs. I could barely blow through the air filter. Understandably, it wasn't cutting up to it's potential (but then few home owner saws are).

I fixed it up and now I'm very impressed with this very light and not very expensive saw. (new air filter, re-tune carb, new Windsor Chisel chain).

Don't think you need a huge saw for occational use. A small properly tuned saw with a good chain cuts nicely and is easy on the arms for carrying and limbing and easy on the wallot on the initial purchase. You may be better off getting a smaller higher quality staw than something of less quality with a bigger engine. I put a link to a video of his saw in action below. I still need to take a little off the idle so the chain doesn't creep. Look how well it self feeds on the second cut with no down pressure from me, just the saws weight. No, it doesn't cut like an 80cc saw, but it's respectable, light, inexpensive and my dad cuts 4-5 cords a year with this saw with no problems.

YouTube - Stihl MS250 in 16 inch pine

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #38  
Same with the 023 Stihl I have, nice little saw all things considered. If it quit tomorrow and I needed another one I'd buy the same thing.

Sean

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #39  
If you can get one shipped to Canada the Echo CS600 $400 and the Echo CS400 $200 are the best buys out there, you will need to tune these a litte richer and the Cs400 really cuts with a muff modd. Steve

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #40  
Ive got those Poulan wood sharks from TSC or Walmart. The $100 kind. they have a 1 year warranty and you are able to return it to the store if it is defective. Ive never had anything happen to them. I keep 2 or 3 and buy new when the warranty expires selling the used ones on ebay. So for the past 3 years i have new warrantied saws for about $100 each, the used saws sell on ebay for between 22 and 40. I buy chains in double packs at Walmart and usually TSc will have a sale and get the saw for no more than $100. I keep 1 in each trailer for checking fence and cutting wood, and usually 1 in the truck.
Campared to my last new STIHL saw after 1 day I crushed the flimsy bar and naturally when walking in the door at the Stihl shop the boy said looks like you abused it. Paid a bit over $40 for a single flimsy thin bar. sold the Stihl for more than it was worth on ebay.
I had better luck with a Husky bought a used return at TSC and sold it to a neighbor for my money back.

Stihl may be better faster and the thing to have but not for me. I probably dont have the level of use that other do.