Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #11  
I've had 2 Poulan Pro's and now own a Stilh MS 192. Like you I only will use it occasionally. At most 1-2 cords of firewood per year and the occasional clearing of dead wood. My first Poulan Pro I had for 9 years and neglected it and never had a problem with it. Stored it for months with fuel and then would just add bar oil which had drained and it would start easily by the fourth or fith pull and then run well for as long as I needed it. Sold that one when I moved and then bought another last year when I bought the current property. That Poulan lasted only a couple of months and was continually hard to start and keep running. Serviced twice with no improvement in manners. It finaly did me the favor of dying and I have no intention of trying to resurect it incase it decides to continue to give me more headaches. Went and bought the lightest weight Stilh I could find and could not be happier. Smooooth, powerful for it's size and has been ultra reliable for the 2 cords of fire wood and deadwood clearing I've done.

Not the cheapest saw for it's size but I'm happier than with a saw that was cheaper but continually gave me grief. I have no idea why there was such a difference in manners between the two Poulans (maybe just the odd lemon) but it soured me on the brand.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #12  
Do you have to have a new one? You could save money by buying a used name brand....Ebay or Craigslist....I bought a used Husky at an auction, my dad gave me his small Husky, and I have a BIG Husky, all great saws. I see everyone ranting and raving about the 346XP on the Husky site...but I think they're about $400 new. Good luck!

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #13  
I'm a Stihl man. I bought a small Stihl 14" model last year, as most of the stuff that I would have to cut wasn't big and I wanted something small for the back of my ATV for doing trail maintenance at my club. I have an older, bigger 18" Craftsman (made by Poulan and equivalent to a Poulan Pro) as well. I've used the Craftsman once since I got the Stihl and that was just to burn up what was left of the fuel in the tank. The Stihl will cut much more than you would think by its size. I've taken down numerous trees with it, if the trees were bigger than my bar, I just needed to make 2 cuts. This saw just runs faster and cuts better than just about any other homeowner grade saw that I've ever used. Even though Stihl considers this saw a homeowner saw and prices it not that much higher than other homeowner saws, to me it has been much better. I don't see myself ever buying anything other than a Stihl.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #14  
Get one with a compression release. Starting becomes so much easier.

I have a Husky 345 -- not the pro level, but one down. Works pretty well for me.

Always use premium gas and always add a double dose of Stabil as well as the oil.

I have the Husky 350, one size larger, and really like it. It starts MUCH easier than the little Stihl 011 trim saw I have... lots of power for its weight also.

If I were cutting wood for a living or hardwood as a primary heat source, I might recommend going to one of the Husky XPs for even more HP per pound. But, the Husky 345/350/355 are good homeowner saws, IMO...

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #15  
I have two Husqvarna saws.
One is a 23 year old 40 cc, (15 inch bar) the other is a 55 (18 inch bar) maybe ten or twelve years old. Both have plenty of power and both have cut lots of wood.
Either one would probably fill the bill for you, but you'll spend about $400 ...and that's on the cheap side.
If I were you -older, apparently less experienced with a saw- I might consider having a professional woodcutter come in and give me a price.
He might do it for what a new saw would cost and you'd be spared the hazard involved.

I'm not trying to insult you at all, but even sawing up fallen trees can be tricky (dangerous). Attempting it when the years have taken their toll on your nimbleness?
I dunno, I might just pay someone else and have the old Mac fixed up for when you really need it.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #16  
I bought a Stihl MS290 last year and I love it. It's lacks the anti vibe features but thats not an issue for me since I only run one tank through at a time. That makes quite a pile of firewood. I give my hands a break while I split and stack for the rest of the evening.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #17  
I grew up with chainsaws. I would talk to a STIHL dealer and see what would best suit you. Huskies are OK, don't waste your money on a Walmart Poulan, you'll spend more time working on getting it started, than cutting wood. I like a mid weight/power models for versatility.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #18  
I also have the Stihl MS290, mine has the 18" bar. It has always required about 5 pulls when is sits for a few days, after that it starts easily.

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #19  
I have two Stihl saws - the ms250 and the ms260 . . . They are both great saws. I run a 16" bar on the lighter 250 and a 20" bar on the 260 . . . one thing to consider is that with the 20" bar, I don' have to bend as far to cut wood on the ground. I have a bad back and the longer bar really works great for me. Even though the 260 is a significantly heavier saw, its longer bar makes it easier for me to use (it's also a much more powerful saw).

/ Chain Saw Recommendations - not a professional one please #20  
I have a 10 y.o. Craftsman 18" 42 cc. I want a bigger saw but can't justify it while this thing is still running. I have kept the Craftsman in its case when not in use and it has served me well. Starts on the second or third pull. With this particular saw, one pull on full choke, and then push the choke in about 1/2 way and another one or two pulls she runs great. I know its not a pro saw and I don't try to abuse it. I used to heat with wood and we did use a pro McCullough with a 24" bar. Now it would sure eat the wood but it was heavier. I agree with the others about fresh fuel and mix, and using an additive like Stabil or similar pre-mixed oil/stabilizer. I use mine on a fairly regular basis now as I collect fire wood for the hunting lease, but it is still only once or twice a month at most and very little in the summer, if at all. Plus I think I got it on sale for about $150.00. I can't beat that value. Again, I do take care of it as I try with all my equipment.