Chain-saws

/ Chain-saws #11  
I had an old McCullough for about 15 years. It still works okay except the oiler cap is busted and started leaking, I used a sort of colostomy bottle and stuck the pick up tube in it and surprisingly works great. I was looking for a new one and I looked at Stihl and Hvsquvarna but ended up buying a Japanese Shindaiwa. Fit and finish is great, only one I could find with machined aluminum crankcase. Most saws including the the two I named above are all plastic minus the piston and rods and cylinder. This thing has double chrome plated piston with drop forged and machined connecting rod and instead of friction crankshaft and rod bearing has needle bearing for much longer life. Carburetor, switches and controls are very simple and stout and not at all plastic. The bar oil and gas tank is made out plastic. All and all looks impressive . I hope it works as as good as it looks. You can pick it up from Deere dealer. It seems they cater the brand for the professional folks and I sure ain't one of them.

JC,

dsc06384zc6.jpg

Last edited:
   / Chain-saws #12  
   / Chain-saws #13  
I have a 16" Husqvarna and an 18" Stihl. Have had the Husqvarna for several years and it has been a great saw. When I built my house I purchased my fireplace insert and received a $340 certificate towards a Stihl product. I purchased the Farm Boss last month and so far it has been very good, but I have not used it much.

/ Chain-saws
Thanks for all the help, I have been reading all the old posts.
Looked at some saws today, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, and a Stihl MS290 Farm. I like both, Husqvarna is about 20 bucks more. Both dealers though any more saw was not neccesary. Anybody have pros or cons on these?
Thanks

/ Chain-saws #15  
I have the 455 rancher saw

/ Chain-saws #16  
im a firm beliver in 2 saws.

a large saw for bucking (8" and up) with your 20" requirement even a MS390 doesnt seem out of the question.

its been my experience that a midrange saw is ok for limbing, but lacks the power to do heavy cutting that a larger saw is built for.

on the flip side, a larger saw is about worthless on limbing jobs. (gets heavy quick)

i have an older 039 that a run a 20 and 24" bar on. (full chizel chain) the 20" bar is a great size for that saw as it will absolutly CHEW through the wood, power to spair. For my second saw i picked up an older 010AV, which i run a 12" bar. again, small bar means its powers through even 8" quickly. After which im switching to the big guy.

IMHO if you were seriously considering doing more than just "some" cutting and expected more than just "occational" stuff in the 16"+ size i would seriously consider a larger saw.

/ Chain-saws #17  
Just picked up an Echo CS370. Went to the local power equipment supplier. Much better service than HD, Lowes or Sears. Spoke to the guy for a while and decided that the Echo best fit my needs. They offer a 5 yr consumer warranty, Husky and Stihl offer two years. The commercial warranty is only 1 year for all. Used it for about 5 hours on Saturday with my Bandit chipper. Cleared alot and all went well. I liked the balance of the saw. Had a 20" Crappsman that just didn't last. Had it a while, but got it when I was at my old house and it got little use. Once I moved and knew I'd be clearing, I knew I would have to buy a new saw. Looked at Echo online. Can be had for $200, but I prefer to pay a little more and buy locally where I can get service.

/ Chain-saws
I thought about Echo, not really a good dealer around me. Husqvarna and Stihl have good local dealers.
schmism, I looked at the MS390 not that much more money than a MS290, but it is big. MS290 too big for trim and limb, too small for heavy cutting?
kenmac the 455 good for dropping trees and clean up? used it much?

/ Chain-saws #19  
I have had the saw for about 5 years & used it alot .I have a 20 " bar on mine. I use it for de- limbing the tree once the tree is on the ground. It's a little heavy to take up in the tree. I use the smaller husky for that . I have always used synthetic 2 cycle oil in it

/ Chain-saws #20  
Hmm,
Synthetic two-cycle. Didn't think of it. Been so concerned about the ethanol damaging the engine. Dealer recommends premium gas for the mix. I'll take a look at the synthetic two cycle also.