Chain-saws

/ Chain-saws #21  
I use amsoil synthetic 2 cycle mix

/ Chain-saws #22  
Bill Barrett said:
I thought about Echo, not really a good dealer around me. Husqvarna and Stihl have good local dealers.
schmism, I looked at the MS390 not that much more money than a MS290, but it is big. MS290 too big for trim and limb, too small for heavy cutting?
kenmac the 455 good for dropping trees and clean up? used it much?

I cant speak much to the newer saws. my older 039 (circa 1995) is "much more" heavy than the new ones. Its really a workout to limb with it (although it can be done).

Its my feeling that the MS390 would have the power that one would want to do larger cutting with any frequency (16"+)

My suggestion is ask the guys on the forestry forum. Most are running a newer MS saw. Stihl website says the 390 is the same weight as the MS290, just more power. So if you think you can limb for a hr+ with a 290, it would stand to reason you could do the same for the MS390 with a smaller bar.

This is were going to a good dealer is a plus. you can feel the weight and ballance of a 390 with a 16" bar (or perhaps something like a 14") and one with a 20" bar.

Other things to consider with multipul bars is the chains size. If you can stick to the same chain size it means you dont have to carry 2 file sets like i do. and the drive spur should be the same.

hears a pic from last winter doing some cleanup in the back corner of my feild.

IMG_0322%20(Large).JPG

Last edited:
   / Chain-saws #23  
MS290 too big for trim and limb, too small for heavy cutting?

I wouldnt say that. I think the saw is marketed to the farmer who has a single tree to cut down once a year (or a big branch or 2 after the storm rolls through)

he needs something that will do it all. but doenst use it more than a couple times a year.

so IMHO it would lack the power to do regular cutting of 16"+ logs. shure you could cut them with a 20" bar, but it just takes a while because it would want to bog (espeically with a full chisel chain)

At the same time its to big to get up into a tree and trim with. if your talking about limbing on the ground it would likely work well espeically with a smaller bar. (but now are you wielding around more weight than you need?)

I think you can see how its built as an all round saw. ya it CAN do it all, but does none of it well. For a guy who is thinking of useing his saw often, lets just say its certinaly not what i look for.

/ Chain-saws
schmism said:
I wouldnt say that. I think the saw is marketed to the farmer who has a single tree to cut down once a year (or a big branch or 2 after the storm rolls through)

he needs something that will do it all. but doenst use it more than a couple times a year.

so IMHO it would lack the power to do regular cutting of 16"+ logs. shure you could cut them with a 20" bar, but it just takes a while because it would want to bog (espeically with a full chisel chain)

At the same time its to big to get up into a tree and trim with. if your talking about limbing on the ground it would likely work well espeically with a smaller bar. (but now are you wielding around more weight than you need?)

I think you can see how its built as an all round saw. ya it CAN do it all, but does none of it well. For a guy who is thinking of useing his saw often, lets just say its certinaly not what i look for.

Thanks, I will take those words of wisdom to heart!

/ Chain-saws #25  
Bill Barrett said:
Thanks for all the help, I have been reading all the old posts.
Looked at some saws today, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, and a Stihl MS290 Farm. I like both, Husqvarna is about 20 bucks more. Both dealers though any more saw was not neccesary. Anybody have pros or cons on these?
Thanks

I had a 55 Rancher a few years back - never had any problems - felled plenty of oak and maple in the 12-30" size (with an 18" bar). But once I got the outdoor boiler I traded up to a 357XP - same chassis size as the 55 but one more HP.

I agree that either of those two saws would be good choices. I also agree that you should not go to a bigger chassis unless you want your arms to be seriously sore :D

/ Chain-saws #26  
If it's a husky make sure it has the metal tag on the left hand side saying it's made in the land of Thor and not an outsourced model!:D :D

/ Chain-saws
Egon said:
If it's a husky make sure it has the metal tag on the left hand side saying it's made in the land of Thor and not an outsourced model!:D :D
I looked for that today. 350, 455 rancher, they didn't have it, but said Sweden after Husqvarna on the sticker on top, but not sure that means anything. Also looked at a 346xp it was the same way no metal tag. As far as Thor, I was thinking more like Bikini team!

/ Chain-saws #28  
Any of the name brands, stihl, echo, husky, etc. will do the job. Pick one that has a dealer for servicing it that you like.

Size? 20" saw in the pro line will cut anything you are likely to run into up to about 36".

I have been cutting 6 cord (minimum) and up to 12 cord/yr for 30 years. Current stable is:

Stihl MS310 - that is a consumer grade saw with 20" bar. Carry a 25" bar and chain for the big stuff.

Husky 51 (old saw, 90s) w/16" bar for my limb/trim/small diameter cutting (up to about 14".

My logs range 'big', most in the 24" and up past 48" range (48 is rare) but 30-40" is the usual size.

If you do a lot of cutting, I recommend a 20" saw in the pro-line plus a small saw with around a 14" bar for limb/trim/ and small caliber logs. I won't go out without two reliable saws (carried 3 up to last year when my 'big' saw - Stihl 041 - died. You might shop the pawn/junk shops for a good reliable small saw but still stick with the name brand saws - that is how I snagged my Husky 51.

The limiation on cutting speed is more a function of how sharp you keep your chain rather than what size the saw is.

Harry K

/ Chain-saws #29  
I have a Husky 55 Rancher and a Husky 385 w/ 36" bar. Never failed me yet....

/ Chain-saws #30  
I switched to Husky a few years back and just purchased a new Husky 455. It has a 20" bar and chain. I like it but won't be giving up my small 141 too soon. I think it is good to have more than one saw around and taking the Rancher up into a tree is something I certainly wouldn't want to do.

I guess if you are doing a lot of large tree cutting the 20 inch bar is the way to go, but you might find a 350 with 18" bar would be all you need and is easier to handle.