Snow Attachments Chains

/ Chains #11  
I have hills and for snow duties I have ladder style ice chains on my turfs.
OK if I spin my wheels I do get small marks on my paved hill section but climate and time makes them go away.
Best is just to ignore them.
Also I do not wax my tractor.

It's life.

/ Chains #12  
Why doesn稚 the dealership swap out for Ag tires? It痴 a free option with all other tractors, no cost diff for R1, R3 or R4 tires.

The L47 is not a regular CUT, it's a commerical grade TLB. I'm not familiar with the specs off the top of my head, but the loader can really lift a lot. I don't think AG tires on the front would hold up to the lifting capacity.

/ Chains #13  
The kubota l47tlb only comes with r4 tires, loader will lift around 2800lbs

/ Chains #14  
The L47 is not a regular CUT, it's a commerical grade TLB. I'm not familiar with the specs off the top of my head, but the loader can really lift a lot. I don't think AG tires on the front would hold up to the lifting capacity.

....and I'd bet there's plenty of room for the chains without spacers.
I'd tend to stick with the r-4's for this machine, I question if a heavy enough ply ag tread is available in the smaller front tire size. These machines are not just a garden tractor with a bucket.

/ Chains #15  
....and I'd bet there's plenty of room for the chains without spacers.
I'd tend to stick with the r-4's for this machine, I question if a heavy enough ply ag tread is available in the smaller front tire size. These machines are not just a garden tractor with a bucket.

No its close how much room do you need for chains ?

/ Chains #16  
OK, you will defiantly move snow with les problems with chains.
Over many years I have used and bought most all of the different styles of tire traction chains available,
It has come down to the point where I will only recommend one style and that is the euro studded style such as the Aquiline Talon.
This style of chain will give you excellent traction a smooth ride and will not tear up your driveway unless you spin them considerably
trying to push more then you should have.
A link to this style on ebay they are available from many places;
Wallingfords Aquiline Talon 1-16.5 Tractor Tire Chains - 1165AST | eBay

IMG_20151228_135649971.jpg

I know of no one that has used this style that wants to use any other unless in deep woods snow for which they would lean to skidder type ring chains.

/ Chains #17  
OK, you will defiantly move snow with les problems with chains.
Over many years I have used and bought most all of the different styles of tire traction chains available,
It has come down to the point where I will only recommend one style and that is the euro studded style such as the Aquiline Talon.
This style of chain will give you excellent traction a smooth ride and will not tear up your driveway unless you spin them considerably
trying to push more then you should have.
A link to this style on ebay they are available from many places;
Wallingfords Aquiline Talon 1-16.5 Tractor Tire Chains - 1165AST | eBay

View attachment 545592

I know of no one that has used this style that wants to use any other unless in deep woods snow for which they would lean to skidder type ring chains.

I could not agree with you more.

Ring chains can be mechanically detrimental to even skidder in my opinion. Their constant slip-grip can really damage the ring gears on the rear ends of tractors and skidders. Some may disagree, and granted this is an old junk Cable Skidder, but I only run diamond studded ice chains, and on the front tires only. If I run chains on all 4 wheels, or chains on just the rear tires, it tends to lift the front end off the ground. That does not get wood out of the woods any better, and tends to cause breakage.

These chains are all wore out in this photo, but they have earned their keep too.

Attachments

• DSCN5334.JPG
    DSCN5334.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 228
   / Chains #18  
thanks to all the many replies. never thought to ask about the ag tires because the dealer said that style of tractor did not come with ag tires. they have what is called a construction tire and that is they way the tractor is sold.

do know about the spacers. was a little surprised to think that kubota sells a heavier style tractor that does not seem to accept chains as well as the lighter versions. and that the tires do not grip as well. would think that the heavier, more rugged tractor would have the best traction tires but, when one is ignorant, very easy to think all the wrong things.

the reason for the chains is because maine gets lots of snow, i live on a hill, 1200 foot dirt driveway, and, i might want to go both down and up the hill with snow on the ground. sometimes the snow bank are too high for me to easily move them with my plow truck. versatility is sometimes the saver of a predicament.

thanks for the tip about leaving the backhoe on for added traction. gave it no thought. don't know if i would be leaving the backhoe on all the time or not. not buying the tractor for anything other than casual use on my property so the need for leaving the backhoe on all the time is not there.

and what i would really like to know is does one style of chain actually perform that much better or would either a snow chain or an ice chain work reasonably well? the ice would never be more than a coating from packed snow but it would still be ice or the occasional freezing rain storm. i sand only when i really need to which is not most of the time. the sun does well except in one short section.

will ponder all the decisions offered. thanks again to all.

Since you live on a dirt driveway, I would absolutely go with studded ice style chains if you can get wheel spacers. This year I purchased OFA EKO 9 chains for my rears, and EKO 8 for my front tires. I purchased from Windy Ridge Corp in Tamworth, NH and they had a lot in stock.
I would not have been able to plow my dirt driveway without these chains on multiple occasions this year, and I do not have a hilly driveway, I just could not push/pull all that snow without them. I can't recommend this style chain enough.
I previously used 4 link ladder chains, which admittedly, were a huge improvement to no chains at all, but they simply do not compare in any way to the capability of the studded chains.

As mentioned, the L47 is not a standard tractor, it is an industrial beast of a machine compared to most of our compact tractors. It's meant of a commercial application vs. homeowner application. That is a very nice machine you are purchasing!

I'll never go back to ladder chains after this winter we had.

IMG_2112.JPG

ORG_DSC02944.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Chains #19  
No its close how much room do you need for chains ?

You could be right Peter, but looking at internet pics it looks like there's a good 3" on the sidewalls that should work @ tractor speeds & snugged up well.
I'll 2nd 3rd or 4th the "Ice" style. You'd swear they were "ice magnets" but @ more than double the price of regular ladder style, they're a cheap date and fairly well supported on R-4's vs ag tread.