Snow Attachments Chains

/ Chains #41  
Yes the traction and ride was good so I agree there.

I had the euro on my CUT and they pulled apart just to often at the joints that were attached with S hooks.
From pure frustration I took them apart and converted them to ladder style.

I determined that all the energy was actually depending on the strength of any one S hook and it would open or snap and then I ended up with a tire chain all crooked and even wrapped around the axle as it slid sideways off of the tire.
Oh yes they gripped well but they usually dug down and snapped the S.
I used the chain stock and cut to cross length originally spacing every 6 link but found the ride rough so having the extra material I went to every 3 link.
At this point I ran out of chain stock and purchased more to finish up.

The result is over the last 10 years I have never had a chain failure while B4 I had 5-6 in one winter, all due to the S hooks.

The OFA chains that I have connect using two part shackles. I could see where S hooks would not work well, surprised anyone makes chains with S hooks. It’s money well spent to get some chains with a more positive/locking connection.
There is no comparison between standard ladder chains and the studded ice chains for traction, not even close.

/ Chains #42  
Here we agree, most of my chain cross are studded but I needed more stock to complete my conversion to cross design and used a design that used welded V's .

Those V's have worn down considerably while the stud style shows little noticeable wear.

Actually when driving uphill on ice I feel the non V chain slip but never the studded links.

/ Chains #43  
To my thinking, if you feel you need chains on the front wheels too, your tractor is too small for the job you want it to do and should be using a bigger tractor. :confused3:

So this guy at Wolf Creek (Colorado) should size up to what?
wolf creek sept29.jpg

/ Chains #44  
Maybe a CATCat_980G_-_facing_left.jpg

/ Chains #45  
So this guy at Wolf Creek (Colorado) should size up to what?
View attachment 546311
I was referring to the need for chains on the front wheels of SCUTs and CUTs, not industrial machines. But I think you knew that. If not you should have. That's what the thread was about. :rolleyes:

/ Chains #46  
It was a joke, Peter's was better but his Cat needs some chains!

/ Chains #49  
To my thinking, if you feel you need chains on the front wheels too, your tractor is too small for the job you want it to do and should be using a bigger tractor. :confused3:

You sure have an expensive way of thinking!

/ Chains #50  
thanks to all the many replies. never thought to ask about the ag tires because the dealer said that style of tractor did not come with ag tires. they have what is called a construction tire and that is they way the tractor is sold.

do know about the spacers. was a little surprised to think that kubota sells a heavier style tractor that does not seem to accept chains as well as the lighter versions. and that the tires do not grip as well. would think that the heavier, more rugged tractor would have the best traction tires but, when one is ignorant, very easy to think all the wrong things.

the reason for the chains is because maine gets lots of snow, i live on a hill, 1200 foot dirt driveway, and, i might want to go both down and up the hill with snow on the ground. sometimes the snow bank are too high for me to easily move them with my plow truck. versatility is sometimes the saver of a predicament.

thanks for the tip about leaving the backhoe on for added traction. gave it no thought. don't know if i would be leaving the backhoe on all the time or not. not buying the tractor for anything other than casual use on my property so the need for leaving the backhoe on all the time is not there.

and what i would really like to know is does one style of chain actually perform that much better or would either a snow chain or an ice chain work reasonably well? the ice would never be more than a coating from packed snow but it would still be ice or the occasional freezing rain storm. i sand only when i really need to which is not most of the time. the sun does well except in one short section.

will ponder all the decisions offered. thanks again to all.

I use my L3430 to clear my 1/4 mile driveway all winter. It is steep (16% grade in places) and has turns with drop offs on each side. Driveway is packed crusher run. I have the euro style studded ice chains and they are worth their weight in gold. In early and late winter when snow melts and then freezes the driveway can be 1-2 inch thick smooth glare ice and the tractor goes up and down all day long with no issues.