Chainsaw Chaps

/ Chainsaw Chaps #11  
Don't stop at the chaps. Get helmet with screen guard, eye protection, LONG PANTS, hearing protection, Gloves, and steel toe boots.
I'm not kidding. When I use a chain saw I suit up like I'm going to war and each one of the protectors I mentioned above has saved me one time or another.

The one day I didn't use any gear for a quickie cut, I had cut off pants on, ****, sneakers. I made the simple cut, turned off the saw waited for the blade to wind down and started to set the saw down. Well it clipped my exposed leg and ( remember the machine was off and blade not moving ) it made a gash 6" long and I bled like a stuck pig.

I have that scar today and it was years ago. I never ever take using a chain saw for granted.

Gear up, it's worth it.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #12  
Worked for a profesional tree company for nearly 20 years and we were required to wear them; subject to being fired on the spot if you were cutting, or within 10 ft of the guy cutting. Now retired, but wear them as force of habit. Like they all say, it only takes a split/second. Don't know where my co. got them, but it would turn to shreds and stall the saw if a chain hit it!

/ Chainsaw Chaps #13  
Another fan the Labonville chaps. I don't us the full wraps, there just too hot where I work. Good investment, order them.

MarkV

/ Chainsaw Chaps #14  
   / Chainsaw Chaps
i thank you all for your responses... I think i will go with the lobonville. The husqvarna summer pants do catch my attention because they might cooler. However I think the wrap chaps will better protect me.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #16  
Well it's pictures like this that make me want to learn from others mistakes
bad-leg-cut.jpg

rather than doing it myself.

I favor the full wrap Stihl, but they are warm at 90 degrees.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #17  
+ 1 on all of the protective gear, not only for the chain saw, but also for weed wacking and using a pole saw. Even with safety glasses, I have been smacked in the face by stuff thrown up by the weed wacker and pole saw. Started using a helmet with face shield and it is much better.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #18  
Another satisfied Labonville green/full wrap user.
Also, I highly recommend helmet/face screen/ear muff combo suggested by Cat_Driver & others.
The helmet/face screen/ear muff combo is a face/eyeball saver when using the PTO chipper, too.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #19  
Many of us have electric chain saws in addition to the gas ones. I just bought a protective shirt from Stihl. Stihl says that neither the protective chaps nor shirt will protect against an electric saw. The torque of the motor is such that the fill will not jam the sprocket as with a gas saw.

I agree with everything written before. I want as much protection as possible. I would also recommend the Stihl safety video on YouTube. I watched it last Saturday night, and did some cutting the next day. I had learned everything in the video, but having it refreshed saved me. I was cutting a springpole which didn't look like it had much force to it. I made a number of relief cuts just to be safe. The through-cut flipped the saw back a bit, but nothing serious. Had I not made the relief cuts, that saw would have come back right in my face.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #20  
I have the Labonville full wraps, and they are great.