Chainsaw Chaps

/ Chainsaw Chaps #21  
I have two different pairs of chaps- not full wrap but still provide good coverage and keep your pants cleaner. Also have a pair of Husqvarna saw pants... They do get warm. I like them for climbing with spurs: the extra padding keeps the spurs from chafing your calves as badly.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #22  
I have two pair of Swede Pro 9 ply full wraps ,and a pair of Husq. Chaps . I also wear A pair of Haix extreme protector boots when I cut . Does the brand matter ? Nope ,just wear PPE when you cut ,your body and bank account will thank you .

/ Chainsaw Chaps #23  
I guess anything is better than nothing, but actually, brand (and model within a brand) do matter. I've seen protective pants/chaps (I can't remember which it was) where most of the protection all settled to the bottom of the pant leg - and they had only seen a few months of light use.

Further, if I'm going to buy chaps or pants, I'm going to get a model that meets the various UL/OSHA/ASTM/ANSI specs. If you are going to do this, don't do it halfway.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #24  
I cut pro for over 10 years and have the same pair of full wrap chaps and they don't have a mark in them from a chain. BUT I always wear them. When I don't have them on I am way over careful and I don't feel right without them. I offered them to a friend when clearing land for his house and he said no. Well you guessed it, cut his leg bad. The few minutes he would have spent taking them on and off would have saved him a month off work! CJ

/ Chainsaw Chaps #25  
Another thing to keep in mind with chaps... they can tend to get soaked with oil, gas and who knows what over the years. (How many of us have forgotten to screw the caps on before picking up the saw at least once?) Oil and gas can degrade the protective fibers to the point where they provide little or no protection. Even dirt or other grit can abrade the fibers over time.

A 'Game of Logging' instructor told me one of his favorite stories about this: He was teaching a class, and verifying that everyone had the appropriate personal protective equipment. He came across one guy whose chaps were obviously well-used. No cuts in the fabric, but obviously had been the victim of a number of oil and gas spills, or leaky chainsaws set on top of them. He told the guy that they probably needed to be retired from chainsaw use. The owner disagreed, pointing out that they had no breaks in the fabric.

The instructor said "tell you what... I'd like to do a demonstration with your chaps that will certainly ruin them. When I'm done, if you can honestly say that you are happy with the protection your chaps would have given you, I'll buy you a new pair of your choice. If you agree that they didn't provide the kind of protection you were counting on, you buy your own chaps."

The owner agreed to the proposal. The instructor strapped the chaps to a tree, started up his chainsaw, and cut into the chaps. As expected, there was a huge mess of fibers. However, the saw managed to cut through quite a bit of them, and cut deeply into the tree before finally stopping. The owners comment: "Wow! Got a pair of chaps I can borrow for the class?"

/ Chainsaw Chaps #26  
I'd expect that at WOT all of our chaps, even new ones would fail this test. Chaps are effective at close throttle, idle an slowing chain situations.

/ Chainsaw Chaps
I ordered the chaps today along with some wedges and a pouch. I measure 40'' from my belt to the instep of my foot so I ordered the XL model.
I used the new 346xp tonight on a saw bucking horse just a couple cuts but im not letting myself use it until my chaps come in.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #30  
Been cutting and heating my home for years.
Chaps are a must full wrap probably the best but I do like my half wraps the best I also have chainsaw pants and use them along with my halfs.
Go with what you feel will do the job for you but a few hundred in safety equipment can save you thousands and a lot of grief later so don't feel bad about spending money