Chainsaw Chaps

/ Chainsaw Chaps
yea thats what my wife said. Id like to get a hard hat with muff and face sheilds built in. I have been hit with a small branch on the head while felling it def. made me take a brake and regroup. I went with the Labonville full wrap not the compotion chaps. I never gave much thought to safety equipment until i put a wood stove insert in our house and had a close call.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #32  
I always use chaps, steel toed boots, and the hard hat with muffs and face shield. I've seen way too many accidents that I won't even think about running the saw without full gear.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #33  
I'd expect that at WOT all of our chaps, even new ones would fail this test. Chaps are effective at close throttle, idle an slowing chain situations.

"Fail" in this case is a relative term. Chaps don't guarantee that they will prevent injury. The intent is to lessen the injury, whether the chain is at full speed, or slowing. The point is, protective material degrades over time. Exposure to oil and gas GREATLY accelerates the degradation. Even the abrasion from years of dirt and grit being ground into them can have an effect. The instructor was not about to blow a brand new pair of chaps to make his point, but what we all saw was enough to convince all of us to keep a closer eye on the condition of our chaps.

You can see any number of videos on YouTube and other places demonstrating what chaps do. The Labonville link posted above is a good one. Even those chaps which cut through in their comparison test would have prevented serious injury from a saw going at full throttle. The old, fuel/oil-soaked chaps I saw were a good brand - but after seeing the tree they were strapped to, if someone were wearing them, you had to wonder if they would ever walk again.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #34  
When it comes to human limbs, 3 inch long gash 1/2 inch deep is better than a cut clean through.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #35  
x2 on labonville full wraps. Also get the highest ply you feel comfortable with. The higher power saws, the greater ply chaps you want....My $.02

/ Chainsaw Chaps #36  
Do you have to order the Labonville chaps direct from Labonville or do other retailers/resellers stock them? Will be in the USA (Boston) next month and would like to buy some.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #37  
I ordered direct from Labonville, but many other companies sell that brand as well.

/ Chainsaw Chaps
Do you have to order the Labonville chaps direct from Labonville or do other retailers/resellers stock them? Will be in the USA (Boston) next month and would like to buy some.

Ordering directly from Labonville was the cheapest way to go. I was able to find them at other retailers but they were more money. I should have my full wraps by wed. I plan on updating you guys on how i like them. I ordered of of their size chart so we will see how acurate it is.
I have a 36'' inseam so i ordered the X-Long model.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #39  
Been cutting wood for 50 years without chaps and never injured ... knock on wood. Past few years though have become more reckless. Perhaps I've developed a can't-happen-to-me attitude over the years? Been doing stupid stuff lately like using the saw with carburetor maladjusted causing the chain to rotate fast even when engine is idling...DUMB! Hacking with extended bar at heavy undergrowth...DUMB. Getting older now, balance and leg strength aren't what they used to be. After pondering my foolish actions, have seen the light, I'm going to buy chaps. Never heard of Labonville before this thread so thanks for that lead. Stihl and Husqvarna also appear to have good products. Lots of choices, now just have to sort thru details (ply, size, type, color, material, price) and get them ordered before next saw session. Lots of dead trees on to-do list from Indiana drought.

/ Chainsaw Chaps #40  
I've taken the Pa state forestry chainsaw class. If you are part of an organization that works on state property they require the class and certificate to cut there. It's highly recommended by me for sure. They have very good instructors and check out your saw and operation at the end of the class on real cuts. It's a class that should be mandatory (IMO) for anyone using a chainsaw besides a homeowner type brand. The full chisel chains are just downright dangerous without safety training. And even a regular homeowner could benefit from these classes IMO. I know, I was one until I took the class and opened my eyes to real chainsaw safety. I did buy a new EFCO (mines a cub cadet leftover branded one) saw after i took the course cause I wanted a better saw after taking the course too seeing how everyone besides a few of us had some really nice saws during the cutting safety session.

Steve