CHeap chainsaw?

/ CHeap chainsaw? #71  
That is good to hear. I am pretty sure that they will be sending out a lot of those conversion kits.

The arborists site http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=115075
Has a lot of good information about the Poulan 330 Many of the users there realy like it. One guy installed a shorter bar on it to make it a little more user friendly, this is what it looks like.:D:D:D

Yes, I like that site, too. That's where I read about converting it back to the old style tensioner. Then a TBN member posted a picture of his similar saw and he mentioned he did the conversion. So I called and sure enough, it is covered under warranty.

There is also a lot of information on that site regarding tweaking and tuning low performance EPA saws to breath better by opening up the muffler and tuning the carb. Apparently some special tool is needed to make adjustments to the carb due to the EPA regs regarding emissions.

Once I get the chain to stay tight I may investigate tuning it up a bit, but not until I see how it cuts with a tight chain! :rolleyes:

/ CHeap chainsaw? #72  
Yes, I like that site, too. That's where I read about converting it back to the old style tensioner. Then a TBN member posted a picture of his similar saw and he mentioned he did the conversion. So I called and sure enough, it is covered under warranty.

There is also a lot of information on that site regarding tweaking and tuning low performance EPA saws to breath better by opening up the muffler and tuning the carb. Apparently some special tool is needed to make adjustments to the carb due to the EPA regs regarding emissions.

Once I get the chain to stay tight I may investigate tuning it up a bit, but not until I see how it cuts with a tight chain! :rolleyes:

The conversion kit for the Poulan Pro 42CC 18" saw arrived Tuesday. It is just a cover with a slotted screw chain adjuster and two nuts to hold it on. Very simple conversion. Too busy to install it this week, but when I do I will post pics.:)

/ CHeap chainsaw? #73  
I had one of those "home depot specials" it lasted about 3 weeks then it wouldn't start for nuthin, after some time in the shop i realized that it had a bad fuel tank design and the filter would always get caught in the top crevis of the tank could never get enough fuel to start:mad: so i finally threw that piece of junk away and bought a husky 445 and starts whenever i want and runs perfect all the time.:)

/ CHeap chainsaw? #74  
breath better by opening up the muffler and tuning the carb. Apparently some special tool is needed to make adjustments to the carb due to the EPA regs regarding emissions.

You can play with the carbs if you have a dremel tool. No special tool "needed" just some mechanical influance. I opened up the muffler on the ones I OWNED and worked the carb. They did okay for what they were, but would/will never come close to the stihl of the same size CCs. I open up all the mufflers on my chainsaws, they run better and most important cooler.

/ CHeap chainsaw? #75  
You can play with the carbs if you have a dremel tool. No special tool "needed" just some mechanical influance. I opened up the muffler on the ones I OWNED and worked the carb. They did okay for what they were, but would/will never come close to the stihl of the same size CCs. I open up all the mufflers on my chainsaws, they run better and most important cooler.

exactly what are you opening up in muffler ? does it make it louder or what ?

/ CHeap chainsaw? #77  
exactly what are you opening up in muffler ? does it make it louder or what ?

I drill or dremel the the muffler some and adjust carb. You can get detailed instructions off of the arborist site or the forestry forum. After you have done a couple, it comes as 2nd nature. It does add to the noise level some, but I'm not at the library while running a chainsaw so......... I don't do it for noise, I do it for performance and longer engine life. I also try to keep the the spark arrestor in place which in some cases can be done without any trouble. The way the mufflers restrict these things it's a no-wonder they can run at all.

/ CHeap chainsaw? #78  
The conversion kit for the Poulan Pro 42CC 18" saw arrived Tuesday. It is just a cover with a slotted screw chain adjuster and two nuts to hold it on. Very simple conversion. Too busy to install it this week, but when I do I will post pics.:)

I bet it will look a lot like this. One of our local Home Depot stores had one left over from the friday after thanksgiving promotion. They are probably old stock that have been replaced by the new and improved tool less chain tensioning system saws.:p:p

I was in there picking up a couple of Makita cordless tools to complete my set.:cool:

I had a special 10% off promotional coupon, so the more I spent, the more I saved............I have never seen a brand name 42cc 18 inch chain saw with a plastic storage case new in the box that could be purchased for $90 before. It followed me home:eek:

Attachments

• DSC03002.JPG
    DSC03002.JPG
    545.4 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC03001.JPG
    DSC03001.JPG
    549.8 KB · Views: 148
   / CHeap chainsaw? #79  
I bet it will look a lot like this. One of our local Home Depot stores had one left over from the friday after thanksgiving promotion. They are probably old stock that have been replaced by the new and improved tool less chain tensioning system saws.:p:p

I was in there picking up a couple of Makita cordless tools to complete my set.:cool:

I had a special 10% off promotional coupon, so the more I spent, the more I saved............I have never seen a brand name 42cc 18 inch chain saw with a plastic storage case new in the box that could be purchased for $90 before. It followed me home:eek:
Yep! That's exactly what the new piece looks like. Nice find! :)

/ CHeap chainsaw? #80  
Now you need a Stihl 066 or 090 to have a big bad saw.

CAD spreads; I have three saws now, rebuilding one, and looking for another :eek:

Attachments

• Stihl 024AVS.JPG
    Stihl 024AVS.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 384