CHeap chainsaw?

/ CHeap chainsaw? #81  
Now you need a Stihl 066 or 090 to have a big bad saw.

CAD spreads; I have three saws now, rebuilding one, and looking for another :eek:

I have a new Husqvarna 372XP with a 16" and a 24" bar as my "Bad saw" It is really a lot more saw than I need for most uses, but it is like owning a 44 Magnum pistol, you don't often need it but it is nice to know it is there just in case.:cool::cool:

I am most comfortable using the smallest saw with the shortest possible bar for the task at hand. Limbing felled trees with a 24 inch bar on a 5.6 H.P. 75cc 13 pound saw is very tiring (well I am 60 maybe that has something to do with it) and fatige can lead to accidents. I am most comfortable doing that work with a 9 or 10 pound saw with a shorter bar. It takes a little longer but I feel much safer doing it that way. That is what I intend to use my $59 14" Poulan and my $90 18" Poulan for. :cool::cool:

The 372 is a very serious tool that will only be used for felling and sectioning of the main trunk and large limbs. It is a hoot to use for those cuts. The extra weight and horsepower becomes a huge advantage over the smaller saws.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I now have 5 gas chain saws and 2 electric ones. I have to stay away from the TSC store because every time I go in there the Poulan 330/ 22" calls out to me....at 55cc's it would fill a large void in my collection, and I realy like the way it is put together.:cool::cool:

Attachments

• DSC02955.JPG
    DSC02955.JPG
    576.3 KB · Views: 123
   / CHeap chainsaw? #82  
Don't get bar size mixed up with power. Just because a cheapo list with an 18-24" blade doesn't mean it has the power to turn it, especially in full wood. These cheapo's with a 18,20+" bar with only a 45cc or smaller engine are worthless unless your just cutting air.

/ CHeap chainsaw? #83  
Don't get bar size mixed up with power. Just because a cheapo list with an 18-24" blade doesn't mean it has the power to turn it, especially in full wood. These cheapo's with a 18,20+" bar with only a 45cc or smaller engine are worthless unless your just cutting air.

You are correct that it is underpowered for full width logs although a long bar on a small engined saw is very handy for limbing downed trees. They weigh less and have a long reach, meaning you don't have to lean over as far. They are less stressful on your body than a monster saw in an afternoon of limbing. ;)

/ CHeap chainsaw? #84  
You are correct that it is underpowered for full width logs although a long bar on a small engined saw is very handy for limbing downed trees. They weigh less and have a long reach, meaning you don't have to lean over as far. They are less stressful on your body than a monster saw in an afternoon of limbing. ;)

And since the chain is longer and has more teeth it will cut longer between sharpening than a short one.:D:D:D:D

They all have their place. Even the small saws can perform pretty good with a little muffler and carb tuning. A friend of mine has a little bitty Husqvarna 240. He did the muffler mods and tuned the carb and that little saw thinks it is a Stihl. We were clearing land with a Stihl 026, a big Johnserend and the little 240 and there wasn't much difference in the limbing and cutting going on on the 12 to 14 inch trees we were dealing with. The Big saw had a lot more power but the wood we were dealing with didn't give it the load to use it.:D:D:D

/ CHeap chainsaw? #85  

You are correct if someone is experienced with a saw then a long blade would be good for limbing. Folks just need to remember using the tip of the blade CAUSES KICKBACK ! :eek:

/ CHeap chainsaw? #86  
You are correct if someone is experienced with a saw then a long blade would be good for limbing. Folks just need to remember using the tip of the blade CAUSES KICKBACK ! :eek:
Yep. That's true. Even with a small saw.

/ CHeap chainsaw?
And since the chain is longer and has more teeth it will cut longer between sharpening than a short one.:D:D:D:D

A friend of mine has a little bitty Husqvarna 240. He did the muffler mods and tuned the carb and that little saw thinks it is a Stihl. NO NO NO It's a great little Husky!!!! LOL

We were clearing land with a Stihl 026, a big Johnserend and the little 240 and there wasn't much difference in the limbing and cutting going on on the 12 to 14 inch trees we were dealing with. The Big saw had a lot more power but the wood we were dealing with didn't give it the load to use it.:D:D:D

Those little huskies will cut wood I have an even small one 141 and it is a great little saw to work with, especially limbing. No way it will keep up with the 455 but it is still a nice little saw to have around.

/ CHeap chainsaw? #89  
Well, at least they are cheaper than tractors. lol

CAD=chain saw addiction:confused::confused::confused:

That is true although my 372XP with the 24" and the16" bar and extra chain cost me almost twice as much as my Craftsman 18 HP Hydrostatic Garden tractor with a 48" mowing deck, 48" dozer blade, wheel weights and tire chains.:eek::eek:

(in fairness I should say that the saw was new and the tractor was used and abused.);););)

But the saws do take up a lot less space in the tool shed.:D:D:D