Check My Specs and math

/ Check My Specs and math #11  
What in the world is a Canyon?
Think "New S-10".

That would be a pretty hefty load behind my appropriately-equipped Expedition. I wouldn not consider towing nearly 7,000# behind a Canyon. In fact, I wouldn't hook up a load over 5,000#, personally.

There's more to towing than "the engine to pull it and the brakes to stop it". Even if you have those things working well, you STILL need to turn it, perform emergency maneuvers, drive in the rain, etc. There's just not enough width, wheelbase, length, or weight in that truck to appropriately handle a load that is 50% greater than the weight of the truck itself.

That's, of course, my opinion.

/ Check My Specs and math #12  
I agree with everyone else, if your weight is correct, you are pushing your luck with that small truck. Do you have a weight distributing hitch? Is the trailer long enough to position the tractor for proper balance? Does the trailer have brakes? These and all of the other things mentioned need to be considered as well.

Just my .02..........

/ Check My Specs and math #13  
Think "New S-10".

GMC%20Canyon.jpg

Supposedly todays "compact" truck but... "small" is relative these days.

Its like saying the new tacoma's are like the toyota 2x trucks of the late 80's. Ie the canyon is about the same size as a 4x2 F150 from the 80's.

/ Check My Specs and math #14  
It's still a lightweight for the load it may be asked to pull. Assuming the OP is hauling a TC35 or larger. That's a solid full-size 1/2 ton load, IMO.

/ Check My Specs and math #15  
My other concern would be the hitch on the truck itself. I looked up the Canyon and while the V-8 is rated at 6,000# what his the hitch rated at? My guess is its a class III max on that truck and only rated at 5,000#

Case in point. My F-350 is rated at 18,300# but the rear hitch is only rated at 15,000#. You have to go GN/5th wheel to use the full towing capacity of the truck.

Chris

/ Check My Specs and math #16  
That's a solid full-size 1/2 ton load, IMO.

depends... you toss a 600lb brush hog on the back.... and you may well beinto the 3/4 ton range depending on the tractor....

this is also why i have a 10K equipment trailer for my "little" tractor.... it adds up quick!

/ Check My Specs and math #17  
depends... you toss a 600lb brush hog on the back.... and you may well beinto the 3/4 ton range depending on the tractor....

this is also why i have a 10K equipment trailer for my "little" tractor.... it adds up quick!

How do you figure? The lowest any 1/2 ton can tow with the good stuff like big engine, tranny cooler, ect is around 8,500# and many are around 10,000#. I tow 7,000# 150 miles each and every weekend from May to Nov with my 1/2 ton with no issues. No reason to go all LB on us.:laughing:

Chris

/ Check My Specs and math #18  
Tractor (bare) = 2628lbs
Loaded Tires: 600lbs x2 = 1200lbs
16LA FEL = 1100lbs

Total Tractor Weight= 4928 lbs

Trailer Weight=1700

Total Towing Weight:6628

The vehicle i am using (2010 gmc canyon v8) has 6000lb max towing capacity. Do you think i can handle it?

The only thing I saw you posted about was a TC35 and their weights were about 3,300 on the 2 sites I hit (The blasted NH site never loaded).
Add in another 150 for liquids.

And come winter you might want chains.

Your pushing it.

Also depends where you want to tow it as far as safety. If your dragging it down to Vergennes on 7 it may be OK, but if you take 108 over the Notch it could be real dangerous.

/ Check My Specs and math #19  
How do you figure? Chris

;)

you may well be into the 3/4 ton range depending on the tractor....

lets play devils advocate for a sec (as the OP has not yet responded with any more info)

TC45DA comes with a 16LA

TC45 - 3700lbs (tractordata)
17.4x24 rear tires weighted -459 ea (table above) 920lbs
16LA 1100lbs
HD grapple on 16la 600lbs
8' brush hog 800lbs

tractor and implements 7120 lbs ill stick with his anemic 1700lb landscape trailer :confused2:

total towed weight 8800lbs (call it 9K with chains, tools etc)

See i live in the 1/2 ton truck doesnt exist camp.... In my world you either are towing 3K utility trailer, or a 10K equipment trailer... there just isnt much that fits in between. (unless something specific like your 3500lb race car etc)

which to me means either tow it with a toyota pickup (utility trailer) or tow it with a 3/4 ton truck. you either NEED the truck or you dont. in my world there just really isnt that much grey space were a 1/2 ton fits.

/ Check My Specs and math #20  
;)

which to me means either tow it with a toyota pickup (utility trailer) or tow it with a 3/4 ton truck. you either NEED the truck or you dont. in my world there just really isnt that much grey space were a 1/2 ton fits.

You see it different than me. I have a 1/2 ton, a 3/4 ton diesel, and a 1 ton diesel. The 3/4 is by far the most worthless. I should have never bought it but the old lady loves to drive it.

Biggest issue with a 3/4 ton is the GVWR. Lets take mine for example. Its a 2004 extended cab short bed F-250 4x4 Power Stroke. 10,000# GVWR but the truck weighs 7,500#. Put 4 in it and now you are at 8,300#. It only leaves you 1,700#. Sure you are still over 3/4 ton but not by much and it does not leave you much room for pin weight/cargo.

Now take my co-workers 2006 GMC Dmax 2500. Its a crew cab short bed 4x4 and weighs about 7,100# empty. Its GVWR is 8,800#. So with nothing in it you only have 1,600# for payload. Sure thats over 3/4 ton but not by much. Put 4 in it and you now at a whopping 800# for pin weight/cargo. The thing is worthless. He put air bags on it, another joke in my eyes, so his 32' 5th wheel does not squat it to the bump stops. Either way he is over by a good 1,000# running down the road on the GVWR while still being under on the tow rating.

Chris