Check My Specs and math

/ Check My Specs and math #21  
;)

lets play devils advocate for a sec (as the OP has not yet responded with any more info)

TC45DA comes with a 16LA

TC45 - 3700lbs (tractordata)
17.4x24 rear tires weighted -459 ea (table above) 920lbs
16LA 1100lbs
HD grapple on 16la 600lbs
8' brush hog 800lbs

tractor and implements 7120 lbs ill stick with his anemic 1700lb landscape trailer :confused2:

total towed weight 8800lbs (call it 9K with chains, tools etc)

See i live in the 1/2 ton truck doesnt exist camp.... In my world you either are towing 3K utility trailer, or a 10K equipment trailer... there just isnt much that fits in between. (unless something specific like your 3500lb race car etc)

which to me means either tow it with a toyota pickup (utility trailer) or tow it with a 3/4 ton truck. you either NEED the truck or you dont. in my world there just really isnt that much grey space were a 1/2 ton fits.

In my world my 1/2 ton rated to tow 9600 lbs and factory equipped with a brake controller fits nicely. I tow roughly 6000 lbs somewhat regularly. I don't need the capacity a 3/4 ton nor the added costs and a small truck would not safely tow the load. Seems many others have similar needs given the number of 1/2 tons sold.

/ Check My Specs and math #22  
You see it different than me. I have a 1/2 ton, a 3/4 ton diesel, and a 1 ton diesel. The 3/4 is by far the most worthless.
Chris

interesting never really thought about the GVWR.... usually its all about tow ratings these days.... course i dont have a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton.... just skipped right to the 85 C30... 1 ton drw... :thumbsup:

not saying that there isnt a world were the modern 1/2 ton does well... im shure there are plenty of people out there that have that sweetspot 5-7K they tow regularly that fits well with the .5 ton.... just not me...

/ Check My Specs and math #23  
Its a 2004 extended cab short bed F-250 4x4 Power Stroke. truck weighs 7,500#. Chris

wow... never considered how heavy the new trucks were... my 85 c30 with dump bed weighs that... but i figured that was normal due to all the extra steel in the back...

course my little 94 toyota weighs like 5500 or something crazy :confused2:

/ Check My Specs and math #24  
There's more to towing than "the engine to pull it and the brakes to stop it". Even if you have those things working well, you STILL need to turn it, perform emergency maneuvers, drive in the rain, etc. There's just not enough width, wheelbase, length, or weight in that truck to appropriately handle a load that is 50% greater than the weight of the truck itself.
Do you really think any manufacturer would be allowed to sell a vehicle that is not capable or more than it's rated to do?
NO, they can't. Every spec you read is just a fraction of what the vehicle has been tested to do and has proven it can be done within NHSTA safety guidelines.

I have no doubt in my mind that this truck can safely haul it's rated 6k lb tow capacity WHEN PROPERLY EQUIPPED. That means the truck should be in perfect working order, have a trailer brake controller, proper engine/brake/transmission cooling and large brakes. The hitch should have the appropriate rating, a WD hitch should be used and a 2-5/16" ball rated at least 1k/10k. With the proper trailer and loaded correctly, the truck should have no problem with 6k but I wouldn't go a pound over. The most important spec is a driver that knows how to tow!

If the original poster does go over 6k and still wants a mid-sized truck then trade that little Canyon in for a Dodge Dakota with a much better 7,200lb tow capacity and it's not some new truck they squeezed a V8 into.

/ Check My Specs and math #25  
Let's just call it 9K with chains, etc...looks to me like all of the new 1/2T trucks offer at least 1 configuration that is rated to tow over 9K.

F150: with a 3V 4.6 & 3.73 axle it's rated at least 9200, 9500 with 5.4 & 3.73. Up to 11,300 properly equipped.

Ram 1500: all models with 5.7 & 3.92 axle are rated >10K.

GM 1500: extended & crew cab models with 5.3 & 3.42 axle are all rated >9K.

Tundra: all body styles with 5.7 offer a configuration rated >10K.

Titan: with the towing package, Crew Cab 9400, Extended Cab 9500.

Looks to me like any of the 1/2T trucks are up to the task. If someone is towing every day then it would be wise to buy a truck 1 step up from what's needed, but for the avg. landowner with a CUT who isn't using it commercially and just needs to tow it to the dealer for service or to another property that they own a couple times a month, a 1/2T fits the bill fine. Current 1/2T trucks are far more capable than those built just 10 yrs ago; they offer decent fuel economy as a daily driver and the capability to tow around 9K without exceeding mfg. specs.

;)

lets play devils advocate for a sec (as the OP has not yet responded with any more info)

TC45DA comes with a 16LA

TC45 - 3700lbs (tractordata)
17.4x24 rear tires weighted -459 ea (table above) 920lbs
16LA 1100lbs
HD grapple on 16la 600lbs
8' brush hog 800lbs

tractor and implements 7120 lbs ill stick with his anemic 1700lb landscape trailer :confused2:

total towed weight 8800lbs (call it 9K with chains, tools etc)

See i live in the 1/2 ton truck doesnt exist camp.... In my world you either are towing 3K utility trailer, or a 10K equipment trailer... there just isnt much that fits in between. (unless something specific like your 3500lb race car etc)

which to me means either tow it with a toyota pickup (utility trailer) or tow it with a 3/4 ton truck. you either NEED the truck or you dont. in my world there just really isnt that much grey space were a 1/2 ton fits.

/ Check My Specs and math #26  
The total weight you get by adding the numbers from manuals is often quite different than what the scale will tell you.

Bruce

/ Check My Specs and math
Thanks for all the posts. I'm hearing enough skepticism here that i should probably rethink this. I don't want to be limited by my truck.

/ Check My Specs and math #28  
Thanks for all the posts. I'm hearing enough skepticism here that i should probably rethink this. I don't want to be limited by my truck.

If you have not bought the truck yet I would step upto a 1/2 ton with all the towing goodies. It will allow you to tow that load and upto 10,000# if needed.

Chris

/ Check My Specs and math #29  
If you have not bought the truck yet I would step upto a 1/2 ton with all the towing goodies. It will allow you to tow that load and upto 10,000# if needed.
Yeah, then he gets stuck with an 16-18mpg large hard to park truck that is completely over the top for his needs. Why does everyone think you need a full-size truck to tow anything?
A compact or mid-sized truck will tow these loads perfectly fine and there is no need to step up to such a large truck for nothing.
My good friends 2009 Dodge Dakota V8 4.7l flex fuel (302hp/329lb.ft.) quad cab 4x4 can tow 7k lbs and does 6,800 on a regular basis getting 11-12mpg average towing and constantly gets 20-21mpg empty with a mix of city/highway. Maintenance is cheaper, tires are cheaper, insurance is cheaper, etc... no need for a full size truck.

If his load stays under 6k lbs then that Canyon or even a Ford Ranger (5,700lb max) would do it just fine as well...

/ Check My Specs and math #30  
If his load stays under 6k lbs then that Canyon or even a Ford Ranger (5,700lb max) would do it just fine as well...

But his load isn't under 6k. So a 1/2 ton would be the better option