Tires checking tire pressure when filled with liquid ballast

/ checking tire pressure when filled with liquid ballast #11  
Put the valve stem at 12 o'clock and then use your fingertip or a pen/etc to burp any liquid out of the stem. Then it's ok to attach any old gauge.

/ checking tire pressure when filled with liquid ballast #12  
Put the valve stem at 12 o'clock and then use your fingertip or a pen/etc to burp any liquid out of the stem. Then it's ok to attach any old gauge.
Not true. Most tires are filled above the top of the rim. It makes no difference what position the valve stem is in.

/ checking tire pressure when filled with liquid ballast #13  
Not true. Most tires are filled above the top of the rim. It makes no difference what position the valve stem is in.

I have found this to be true on my tractor.

/ checking tire pressure when filled with liquid ballast #14  

On every tractor I have owned, the valve stem is the high-water line. In fact, most of the fluid-fill kits are setup so that the valve stem becomes the high-water line when the tire is filled vertically. IIRC, the only time it's important to fill above the rim is with calcium chloride, to minimize chances of corrosion, but that has fallen out of favor for many years. But either way, the top of the rim is typically called out as the "convenient" reference location where the air gap starts, in order to provide enough cushion in the tire. If you do not have a convenient reference to know when to stop filling, it would take careful/difficult measurements to get the level right.

/ checking tire pressure when filled with liquid ballast #15  
Check your rear tires on a cold, humid morning. There will be a "frost line" formed at the top of the tire. This line represents - the frosty tire is where the fluid is in the tire - the frost free area is that portion of the tire above the liquid level in the tire.

My tires are filled with rimguard to a level about one inch below the valve stem. This means when the valve stem is at top dead center it is above the liquid in the tire.

I DO have a special tire gauge designed for filled tires - cost about $15. My procedure - valve stem to 12 'O clock, blow air into the tire - clearing all fluid from the valve stem, check & adjust pressure. Used this procedure for 30+ years with no problem at all.

/ checking tire pressure when filled with liquid ballast #16  
Valve stem at 12:00, I use a Milton tire chuck/gauge similar to what Deere dude has shown and explained method. Never had a problem with beet juice clogging the gauge or tire chuck valve since there is a 14" piece of hose between them and the tires valve stem. Also, these type of tire chuck/gauge can be rebuilt with new gaskets and o rings.
Here is a pic of what Oosik has described. Ice cold garage inside, warm humid air outside.

image-51705755.jpg

/ checking tire pressure when filled with liquid ballast
Thanks everyone for your responses . Thinking of getting a milton tire gauge for liquid filled tires that was mentioned. After asking this question I got to thinking about if my tires aren't quite full with beet juice and I put the valve stem at 12:00, why is the liquid coming out? I just wonder if having my backhoe attached is putting weight on the rear and squashing the tires enough that may be pushing the beet juice out? Just a thought, what do you fellas think?

/ checking tire pressure when filled with liquid ballast #18  
Thanks everyone for your responses . Thinking of getting a milton tire gauge for liquid filled tires that was mentioned. After asking this question I got to thinking about if my tires aren't quite full with beet juice and I put the valve stem at 12:00, why is the liquid coming out? I just wonder if having my backhoe attached is putting weight on the rear and squashing the tires enough that may be pushing the beet juice out? Just a thought, what do you fellas think?
If fluid squirts out with the valve at the 12:00 position the fluid is higher than the rim like I said earlier.

/ checking tire pressure when filled with liquid ballast #19  
Slime makes a gauge for ballasted tires. About $10 at TSC or Amazon.

/ checking tire pressure when filled with liquid ballast #20  
If fluid squirts out with the valve at the 12:00 position the fluid is higher than the rim like I said earlier.

Even though the tire is at 12 o'clock could there be a little residual rimguard still in the valve stem that comes out? It won't flow out by may spurt a little bit.