Chev HD 3500 Diesel ???

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #11  
Hmmm well I have a 6.0 ford (international) and contrary to all the bad things said about them mine has been flawless and out pulls any PU I ever drove. I think the Duramax is made by Izuzu (sp) not sure.

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #12  
Jimbrown said:
Hmmm well I have a 6.0 ford (international) and contrary to all the bad things said about them mine has been flawless and out pulls any PU I ever drove. I think the Duramax is made by Izuzu (sp) not sure.
It is inherited from the European Isuzu and has a few GM tweaks, but you are correct for all practical purposes. It's not a GM engine.

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #13  
crbr said:
It is inherited from the European Isuzu and has a few GM tweaks, but you are correct for all practical purposes. It's not a GM engine.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The DMAX diesel is now in fact, a pure GM diesel. Now originally, it was designed by GM & Isuzu as a joint venture, known as DMAX, Ltd. Parts are shipped from major suppliers around the world and the Duramax is final machined & assembled in Moraine, Ohio.

A few years ago, GM bought out Isuzu's stock holdings thereby acheiving 100% ownership in DMAX, Ltd. Isuzu is out of the picture and the Duramax is now a 100% General Motors diesel built from worldwide sources of parts that are final machined & assembled in the USA. So actually, GM is the onlt one of the big 3 that makes its' own diesel.

I switched over from Ford diesels and would never look back. This Duramax diesel is a proven, reliable diesel that runs like a refined high performance V-8. My trucks are used commercially, not grocery getters and I can tell you that this is an awesome diesel that you will really like to own.

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #14  
I've got an '05 F-350 with a 6.0 that I bought new and a '04 HD 2500 Duramax that I bought used (23K miles) because I got a good deal on it. We use the 350 to pull a 7-horse trailer and anything else we hook to it. It's been dependable, rides great and stops with no problems. The chevy is not as comfortable, doesn't ride as good, and gets low mileage. It does seem to have good brakes, but it can't stop like the F-350 duelly. I do like the Allison tranny though. But, I'd rather have a Ford!

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #15  
I am with you. I have a 99 7.3 f-250, 2004 6.0 f-250, and a 2006 f-350 6.0 and have never turned a wrench on any. I have been down the GM and Mopar road and it was a bad bumpy ride. The 6.0 Fords I have had never had a wrench laid on them and pull like nothing else out there. I also have a 2007 f-150 daily driver that will get its fair share of work. I have a chip, and intake on all and on the 6.0's I get 24 mpg on the highway and 17 around town. They spend most of the time pulling trailers 16,000 or more and get as good as 17mpg on the highway. My partner has a 2007 GM 3500 HD D-max and gets 12 mpg with a 10,000# load. All my trucks have 3.73's and are all 4 wheel drive and so is his GM

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #16  
You get 17MPG around town pulling a 16K trailer?

That's tough to believe.

Both my Ford diesels, used under the same conditions as my Duramax, never got more than 11-12MPG in over 130,000 miles of driving with only a small trailer and loaded tool boxes in stop & go driving.

My DMAX gets over 13MPG in all stop & go driving and it's not even broken-in yet (10,000 mi).

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #17  
No, I get 17 mpg towing at highway speed. All my towing is 90% highway. I just got back from Lake Norris just outside Knoxville TN towing my Big Boat, 15,600# empty (probally around 16,400# on this trip) and came back to Daleville, In which is halfway between Dayton and Indianapolis and used 18 gallons of fuel. I was in my 2006 F-350 4x4 Crewcab with 3.73's and had my Quadzilla set at 80 HP gain. I have 4" exhaust and MAC Chrome intake system. I ran at about 75mph all the time. I live 4 miles from the interstate so all the driving was highway except for the first 10 miles from the lake and the last 4 miles from the interstate to my house. Here is a pic of my big boat.

Driving around town I also get 17mpg but no load on the highway I drive via the tach and get 24mpg. I have found the 6.0 PS gets the best millage at 1900 rpm no matter what you are doing. I try to run 1900 rpm while towing also. Any more the mpg go to **** and any less it suffers also.

Attachments

• IMAG0226.JPG
    IMAG0226.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 168
   / Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #18  
..Here's the specific forum link on the same site

Granted you are going to get a few people who have problems on a "web site", but what I go by is this. GM has not had wholesale recalls on it's Duramax, like Ford has over the years.

Ford has issued 77 technical service bulletins for the Power Stroke diesel since 2002, while in comparison GM has issued only eight for its Duramax diesel and Dodge has issued none for its diesel powerplant.

Ford has sold more than 384,000 pickups with potentially defective engines.

So if you want to trade sites - have a go at these sites.

Ford Motor Co. is conducting a safety recall involving 2004 and 2005 model year vehicles equipped with its 6.0L diesel engines to address reported incidents of engine stalling while driving. The action covers 180,000 of its E-350 and E-450 vans, F-250 through F-550 Super Duty trucks, as well as its Excursion sport utility vehicle.

And this

Ford Motor Co. said it is recalling more than 275,000 vehicles, mostly large pickup trucks, in North America because their diesel engines can stall without warning or their fuel lines can separate.

Ford Recalls More Than 275,000 Trucks

Auto Week reports that Ford has been sued 58 times over the engine and in the first nine months of 2005 warranty costs at the company have gone up by $500 million

6.0 PowerStroke bulletins

Ford recalls trucks with 6.0L diesel engines

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #19  
Diamondpilot said:
No, I get 17 mpg towing at highway speed. All my towing is 90% highway. I just got back from Lake Norris just outside Knoxville TN towing my Big Boat, 15,600# empty (probally around 16,400# on this trip) and came back to Daleville, In which is halfway between Dayton and Indianapolis and used 18 gallons of fuel. I was in my 2006 F-350 4x4 Crewcab with 3.73's and had my Quadzilla set at 80 HP gain. I have 4" exhaust and MAC Chrome intake system. I ran at about 75mph all the time. I live 4 miles from the interstate so all the driving was highway except for the first 10 miles from the lake and the last 4 miles from the interstate to my house. Here is a pic of my big boat.

Driving around town I also get 17mpg but no load on the highway I drive via the tach and get 24mpg. I have found the 6.0 PS gets the best millage at 1900 rpm no matter what you are doing. I try to run 1900 rpm while towing also. Any more the mpg go to **** and any less it suffers also.

A horsepower gain and improved mpg???:rolleyes:

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #20  
Builder said:
Nothing could be further from the truth. The DMAX diesel is now in fact, a pure GM diesel. Now originally, it was designed by GM & Isuzu as a joint venture, known as DMAX, Ltd. Parts are shipped from major suppliers around the world and the Duramax is final machined & assembled in Moraine, Ohio.

A few years ago, GM bought out Isuzu's stock holdings thereby acheiving 100% ownership in DMAX, Ltd. Isuzu is out of the picture and the Duramax is now a 100% General Motors diesel built from worldwide sources of parts that are final machined & assembled in the USA. So actually, GM is the onlt one of the big 3 that makes its' own diesel.

I switched over from Ford diesels and would never look back. This Duramax diesel is a proven, reliable diesel that runs like a refined high performance V-8. My trucks are used commercially, not grocery getters and I can tell you that this is an awesome diesel that you will really like to own.
Check the origin of the engine. GM bought it. That is all I was saying. GM did not design this engine.

I currently own my 4th Duramax, so you're singing to the choir.

The first three LB7 engines speak for themselves with the fuel injectors. Finally the 2007 LBZ is troublefree so far.

Thanks for playing. NEXT!