Chev HD 3500 Diesel ???

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #21  
crbr said:
Check the origin of the engine. GM bought it. That is all I was saying. GM did not design this engine.

I currently own my 4th Duramax, so you're singing to the choir.

The first three LB7 engines speak for themselves with the fuel injectors. Finally the 2007 LBZ is troublefree so far.

Thanks for playing. NEXT!

I'm sorry, but the game isn't over yet. ;) The DMAX was designed by GM & Isuzu together. GM was looking for a clean sheet design for a V-8 light truck diesel. Yes, Isuzu built it originally, but with GM input at the design stages. I remember reading that GM engineers were in japan working with Isuzu a year before it was in GM trucks. Look at it this way: what other trucks use the Duramax? None. That tells me that Isuzu built this engine with lots of input from GM. If GM had no input, then why would Isuzu build it? No one else uses it.

Have a good one.

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #22  
Every diesel has had its teething problems, My 6.5L turbo diesel suburban will tow quite well, keeping in mind its not a powerstroke or a cummins. The biggest down fall I find on my burban is she will heat up when pulling a long grade if I dont keep up to interstate speed. My Suburban is a 97 so it has all the latest cooling mods that GM did for the 6.5. She really needs an intercooler to cool down that hot air coming from the turbo. Everybody has there favorite diesel, The old 6.5 is one of the cheapest to maintain if you dont need a HD diesel or want a suv with a diesel. I have owned both a cummins, loved the diesel, hated the truck, and an early 7.3L power stroke, loved that one. My perfect set up would be a 2500 Suburban 4x4 with an Allision auto and a 5.9L 12v cummins in it. Any older diesel is better than whats on the market now. You cannot even see the diesel under all the crap under the hood of a new superduty. Way to much electronics on the newest diesels. I remotely mounted the PMD/FSD driver on my 6.5L and its been a very reliable daily driver and light duty towing machine. And she has 199K on the clock and running strong! Keep in mind that the 6.2/6.5L diesels were designed by Detroit Diesel for GM, and were never ment to be a high boosting or high HP diesel engine. Now that AM General has gotten ahold of it, they have turned over block and head casting to Navistar, redesigned the heads, added a lower end girdle and splayed main caps. They now have it safely producing 250hp for the up armored hummers. You can buy them for your truck, they are called the Optimizer 6500. Not a cheap date, but some of us like the classic look of the GM trucks of that era, and the price is no worse than replacing a blown up 7.3L with a new one. Cheers Mike

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #23  
John White said:
Too bad GM cant build a dicent diesel. ).

GM could have if they wanted too, people forget about Detroit Diesel and the Electro Motive divison being the generals former labels.

having owned a 95 with the 6.5, I'd stay away from one. only problem I really had with mine was the electronic injection pumps but they dont match up with the powerjoke when it comes to power and reliability

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #24  
botamike said:
Every diesel has had its teething problems, My 6.5L turbo diesel suburban will tow quite well, keeping in mind its not a powerstroke or a cummins. The biggest down fall I find on my burban is she will heat up when pulling a long grade if I dont keep up to interstate speed. My Suburban is a 97 so it has all the latest cooling mods that GM did for the 6.5. She really needs an intercooler to cool down that hot air coming from the turbo. Everybody has there favorite diesel, The old 6.5 is one of the cheapest to maintain if you dont need a HD diesel or want a suv with a diesel. I have owned both a cummins, loved the diesel, hated the truck, and an early 7.3L power stroke, loved that one. My perfect set up would be a 2500 Suburban 4x4 with an Allision auto and a 5.9L 12v cummins in it. Any older diesel is better than whats on the market now. You cannot even see the diesel under all the crap under the hood of a new superduty. Way to much electronics on the newest diesels. I remotely mounted the PMD/FSD driver on my 6.5L and its been a very reliable daily driver and light duty towing machine. And she has 199K on the clock and running strong! Keep in mind that the 6.2/6.5L diesels were designed by Detroit Diesel for GM, and were never ment to be a high boosting or high HP diesel engine. Now that AM General has gotten ahold of it, they have turned over block and head casting to Navistar, redesigned the heads, added a lower end girdle and splayed main caps. They now have it safely producing 250hp for the up armored hummers. You can buy them for your truck, they are called the Optimizer 6500. Not a cheap date, but some of us like the classic look of the GM trucks of that era, and the price is no worse than replacing a blown up 7.3L with a new one. Cheers Mike

My kid and I would like to buy a surplus H-1 Humvee someday. I wonder if the Optimizer 6500 would be a drop-in GM diesel? Sounds like a nice compliment to the Hummer.

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #25  
Builder said:
My kid and I would like to buy a surplus H-1 Humvee someday. I wonder if the Optimizer 6500 would be a drop-in GM diesel? Sounds like a nice compliment to the Hummer.

That will never happen...Millitary Humvees are not certified for US Highway operations...go to the following website...it gives all of the bad news...:mad:

JEEP AND HMMWV GOVERNMENT SURPLUS AUCTIONS

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #26  
Paul, who said the H-1 would have to be used on the highway? Buddy of mine had an old surplus 2-1/2 and we kept it running just well enough to blast around in the pasture. It made a great hay-hauling truck.
But, after looking at your link, I see your point. Hard to make even a pasture pounder out of a cube of scrap.:(
And Builder... the Optimizer 6500 is basically the latest 6.5 block w/ all the improvements and then some. I *think* they (GEP) may have even changed the metallurgy a bit. It seems the 6.5 is marketed pretty heavy for re-powers on marine applications where the original is a V8 gasser. But I am not into boats so I don't know how much of that is pure propaganda.

Hmmmm.... what was this thread about, again?

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #27  
PaulChristenson said:
That will never happen...Millitary Humvees are not certified for US Highway operations...go to the following website...it gives all of the bad news...:mad:

JEEP AND HMMWV GOVERNMENT SURPLUS AUCTIONS

Thanks for the link....we're probably content to run it off road on the dunes, off road, etc. I may rethink buying a civilian version though, just to have another truck in case one of mine goes down or I need to run on the road.

Sorry to get off topic! Carry on! :D

Last edited:
   / Chev HD 3500 Diesel ???
So basically a 6.5 with 117000 miles, how many more miles is it good for before having problems. What will go first, injector pump? Are they prone to failure. Or will I be replacing head gaskets soon? Will it heat up when pulling my trailer? Will it have enough power on hills to keep up with traffic reasonably well? 117000 miles is nothing for a 7.3. One of my tow trucks with the 7.3 had over 250000 with not much more that a glow plug, oil, filters, and I think I had to flush the block out and add some addative that they recomended on the first 7.3 as they had some corresions problems.

/ Chev HD 3500 Diesel ??? #30  
John White said:
So basically a 6.5 with 117000 miles, how many more miles is it good for before having problems. What will go first, injector pump? Are they prone to failure. Or will I be replacing head gaskets soon? Will it heat up when pulling my trailer? Will it have enough power on hills to keep up with traffic reasonably well? 117000 miles is nothing for a 7.3. One of my tow trucks with the 7.3 had over 250000 with not much more that a glow plug, oil, filters, and I think I had to flush the block out and add some addative that they recomended on the first 7.3 as they had some corresions problems.

I'd post on one of these three forums...these guys live and breath this stuff...:D

TheDieselPage.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Diesel Place - Duramax Diesel Discussion Forums

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/