Chevy's new rwd sedan for 14. Simply called the "SS".

/ Chevy's new rwd sedan for 14. Simply called the "SS". #31  
Yup, my favorite GTO is the '65.....One of these days I'm going to find one....My parents had a fire engine red one with a 421 tri-power, 4:33 rear and a Muncie 4sp (Bobcat optioned)....My dad kept the Hurst shifter that my mom broke off drag racing it...Even at 69 years old, my mom can slam some gears...Now she does it in a '66 El Camino--396/4:10/Muncie...From what she's told me, she almost divorced him when he sold the GTO without warning:D

That is mine also. I think its beautiful. Royal Pontiac in Michigan did the Bobcat conversions.. I never forgot the hoopla of controversy when Car and Driver ran an alleged 389 Bobcat version through the quarter at 12.8. (regular GTO was a 14.8 machine) Many stated that they had put a 421 in the car because you could not tell much by looking at them under the hood. As they did not put the 421 Pontiac motor in GTO's from the factory and if indeed your family somehow got one of the few that were allegedly built up from Royal, that indeed was a very rare car that would easily be worth 80-100K today. Don't tell your mom.

/ Chevy's new rwd sedan for 14. Simply called the "SS". #32  
That is mine also. I think its beautiful. Royal Pontiac in Michigan did the Bobcat conversions.. I never forgot the hoopla of controversy when Car and Driver ran an alleged 389 Bobcat version through the quarter at 12.8. (regular GTO was a 14.8 machine) Many stated that they had put a 421 in the car because you could not tell much by looking at them under the hood. As they did not put the 421 Pontiac motor in GTO's from the factory and if indeed your family somehow got one of the few that were allegedly built up from Royal, that indeed was a very rare car that would easily be worth 80-100K today. Don't tell your mom.

I'm just going by what my parents told me..I was around 7 years old when he sold it...My dad knew his engines though.

If I can find a pic, I'll scan it in...Red with a black vinyl top and dark grey magnesium wheels, black interior...That car was beautiful. It would be worth a ton today I think.

I do remember the tri power from looking under the hood back then...I also remember my dad pinning my brother and I to the back seat with the trips when we wouldn't sit down...That was good stuff...I also remember him getting a ticket or 2 :D

One other thing I remember is when my mom was coming home one evening...Some idiot threw a brick through the windshield...I was outside with my dad, and you should have heard that racket coming up the main road..She was into that motor with all she had..That clown scared the %^& out of her...The windshield was smashed in but thankfully she only had some very minor facial cuts.

/ Chevy's new rwd sedan for 14. Simply called the "SS". #33  
I'm just going by what my parents told me..I was around 7 years old when he sold it...My dad knew his engines though.

If I can find a pic, I'll scan it in...Red with a black vinyl top and dark grey magnesium wheels, black interior...That car was beautiful. It would be worth a ton today I think.

I do remember the tri power from looking under the hood back then...I also remember my dad pinning my brother and I to the back seat with the trips when we wouldn't sit down...That was good stuff...I also remember him getting a ticket or 2 :D

One other thing I remember is when my mom was coming home one evening...Some idiot threw a brick through the windshield...I was outside with my dad, and you should have heard that racket coming up the main road..She was into that motor with all she had..That clown scared the %^& out of her...The windshield was smashed in but thankfully she only had some very minor facial cuts.

Tim, if one of your parents ever went to the local drag strip and they had a timing, that would give you some clue as to what engine it had. The "Bobcat" 389 conversion consisted of advanced timing,larger jets, thinner head gaskets (which would raise compression to over 11 to 1) steeper gears and a couple other things that slip my mind. Many times this was good for another second through the 1/4 mile. A regular GTO with this treatment would then run around 13.7-13.8. If indeed your parents car was timed and was anywhere near breaking into the 12's, that car had the 421 put in at Royal. The car would indeed be a goldmine today head and shoulders above a regular 389 tri power (which in itself is worth a ton) and more along the lines of a Yenko or Motion car. I just drool thinking about it and if it were I that was married to your mom, you'd still be looking at the car.

/ Chevy's new rwd sedan for 14. Simply called the "SS". #34  
Tim, if one of your parents ever went to the local drag strip and they had a timing, that would give you some clue as to what engine it had. The "Bobcat" 389 conversion consisted of advanced timing,larger jets, thinner head gaskets (which would raise compression to over 11 to 1) steeper gears and a couple other things that slip my mind. Many times this was good for another second through the 1/4 mile. A regular GTO with this treatment would then run around 13.7-13.8. If indeed your parents car was timed and was anywhere near breaking into the 12's, that car had the 421 put in at Royal. The car would indeed be a goldmine today head and shoulders above a regular 389 tri power (which in itself is worth a ton) and more along the lines of a Yenko or Motion car. I just drool thinking about it and if it were I that was married to your mom, you'd still be looking at the car.

They were able to pull high 12's/low 13's out of it...From what my dad told me, the tires in the ealy 70's didn't hook very well, even with "street" slicks...He said he had to pedal it to keep the tires from blowing off...They didn't have all of the toys we have today to compensate for that.

I have no idea what the specs on that thing were..Wish I knew...Someday project, find the actual VIN and see what I can research...I doubt it exists as my parents both tossed everything when they were done with it...Guess in my dad's case---A GTO.

/ Chevy's new rwd sedan for 14. Simply called the "SS". #35  
RWD sedans have been in the US for Fleet use for the past couple of years. Very similar to the RWD sold in Saudi Arabia etc.
Problem is again is those car hating and in particular performance car PRICKS in the EPA. Even if two otherwise identical vehicles achieve the same mileage, emissions etc. The RWD vehicle is hit with a gas guzzler tax and the FWD isn't.
Our loyal civil servants at work with our best interests in mind....................................not.

/ Chevy's new rwd sedan for 14. Simply called the "SS". #36  
I agree on the GTO...I hated the look, but a girl at work had one and that thing screamed....Wish they would have put some design thought behind that, it could have been incredible.

The girl at work screamed?

/ Chevy's new rwd sedan for 14. Simply called the "SS". #37  
The last seven of the 4th generation Cameros and TransAms built in Quebec on August 27th 2002 were slated on the sly for the 400HP LS6 instead of the 325HP LS1. They had been ordered by GM employees and they were up to monkey business.
They built 5 before the managers caught on that chassis and engine codes were being over ridden on the engine and car assembly lines. Some made it to the street before the investigators realized there was more than one car involved.
Several employees were hauled into inquisitions by Human Resources for being "resourceful".
Those employees should have been promoted for being thinkers.

/ Chevy's new rwd sedan for 14. Simply called the "SS". #39  
They were able to pull high 12's/low 13's out of it...From what my dad told me, the tires in the ealy 70's didn't hook very well, even with "street" slicks...He said he had to pedal it to keep the tires from blowing off...They didn't have all of the toys we have today to compensate for that.

I have no idea what the specs on that thing were..Wish I knew...Someday project, find the actual VIN and see what I can research...I doubt it exists as my parents both tossed everything when they were done with it...Guess in my dad's case---A GTO.

Ok, then I'm sicker. That car had the juiced 421 from Royal. The fact that it did not hook up well could have lost .3 1/4 mile wise. This car is as rare as plutonium ear rings.

/ Chevy's new rwd sedan for 14. Simply called the "SS". #40  
Ok, then I'm sicker. That car had the juiced 421 from Royal. The fact that it did not hook up well could have lost .3 1/4 mile wise. This car is as rare as plutonium ear rings.

Sad part is that there aren't many '65s represented anywhere...I see tons of '66s and '68+ versions at the car shows...Those '65s are like hens teeth I guess. Never seen anything that even remotely looks like my parents car.

I do remember my mom saying that the '65 they bought (used) was stupid expensive at the time, maybe that explains something...She loved the looks and my dad loved the fact that it was fast..No questions asked...They bought it..My parents always had a "toy" car in the garage while I was growing up and this was the 2nd or third of those at the time.

Guess that dealer enhanced cars weren't that big of a deal back then...Kinda like buying a new lifted truck now...Ok, nice but what about the warranty headaches?...Don't really know but if everyone knew a pristine Yenko (anything) was going to bring 250K+ now they would have stored them.