Chipper/shredder advice

/ Chipper/shredder advice #11  
I have a BearCat 5" unit with a blower which is the same as the Woods W5000 I think. I would not be afraid to run it with your tractor. I think it would be a good match. You don't have to much power. If you jam it the worst that will happen is the belts will slip. I like the belt drive. It helps protect your pto. And if you keep the baldes sharp it self feeds just fine. I think a 7" unit would be a reach with your tractor.
If you have found a good unit at a reasonable price don't wait to long. They are generally hard to find and go quick. I waited a couple years to find mine.

Attachments

• Chipper1.JPG
    Chipper1.JPG
    606.1 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
   / Chipper/shredder advice #12  
I also have the Bearcat and it is the Woods brand as well. As someone has said without the blower it gets to be a drag . I put a tarp under it if we want to move the chips -- otherwise I just chip and move. I bought mine for $1000 or so used with good blades paint etc -- I have been very happy with it and if I were buying new I would look at the Jinma or Wallensteins but the shredder is good for twigs and leaves

/ Chipper/shredder advice
Hey guys, sorry, for some reason my email wasn't letting me know that there were all these new posts. Anyway, thanks for all the help.

The unit does not have a blower, but I'm pretty handy with making things out of steel, so I'm thinking I'll make a sort of "chute" to throw the chips out of the way. What do you guys think? We'll be using the chips for gardening, so I'd like the chips in a pile, just not in a pile under the chipper! Has anyone tried it making something to throw them out of the way?

Here are the pics from the seller. I'm going to look at it tomorrow morning and I'm thinking I'll probably get it.

Attachments

• 5Fc5H25Md3Ib3J83N4c1j934699254aac1281.jpg
    5Fc5H25Md3Ib3J83N4c1j934699254aac1281.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 5G55F55Hc3G73p33o9c1j303bf00017e21939.jpg
    5G55F55Hc3G73p33o9c1j303bf00017e21939.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 5N75K35Hd3G33K53M2c1j1bdb88d3ac9416c2.jpg
    5N75K35Hd3G33K53M2c1j1bdb88d3ac9416c2.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 153
  • 5N95L15H63Gb3Mf3Hbc1je8364235c63b11f9.jpg
    5N95L15H63Gb3Mf3Hbc1je8364235c63b11f9.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 146
   / Chipper/shredder advice #14  
I run a Valby 150 HF on my 3710 and it is a perfect match.

I bought it used along with a stout 30" American TPH splitter that I run on the same tractor.

I am glad I bought both when I did as the price I paid was less than the chipper went for new, back then.

Re recommendation........ unless you do not have use for firewood, you will not find yourself running any thing bigger than 5" through a chipper, except for perhaps real punky stuff that you wouldn't want to burn anyway.

I chip a lot of beech and I can tell you the 3710 / Valby 150 combo needs attention to the feed bar when asking it to plow through anything over say 6 inches in diameter. It will do it just fine,but, to keep the rpms up one needs pay attention to the feed pace.

The Valby is a very well built and durable unit. I use it a LOT on my farm and would not advise buying a unit this big without a hydraulic feed.

And you are gonna need a good pair of ears" too! :D

Re blower, I use the chips also and i just blow them into the FEL of my big tractor, or if doing a LOT of chipping, blow them into a big pile and pick them up later with the fel.

Attachments

• Firewood%202009%20020.jpg
    Firewood%202009%20020.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 211
  • Firewood%202009%20027.jpg
    Firewood%202009%20027.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 2010%20wood%20cutting%20002.jpg
    2010%20wood%20cutting%20002.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 157
  • Fire wood 2011 010.jpg
    Fire wood 2011 010.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 181
   / Chipper/shredder advice #15  
Hey guys, sorry, for some reason my email wasn't letting me know that there were all these new posts. Anyway, thanks for all the help.

The unit does not have a blower, but I'm pretty handy with making things out of steel, so I'm thinking I'll make a sort of "chute" to throw the chips out of the way. What do you guys think? We'll be using the chips for gardening, so I'd like the chips in a pile, just not in a pile under the chipper! Has anyone tried it making something to throw them out of the way?

Here are the pics from the seller. I'm going to look at it tomorrow morning and I'm thinking I'll probably get it.

I'm not sure if the blower unit consists of more than the chute (maybe some kind of fan as well?). I looked at a similar used machine when I was buying a chipper and ultimately decided against it because of the lack of blower and the feed speed required constant tending. I ended up with the wallenstein based on other's reviews and the fact that it had a blower type of setup out of the box, was direct drive (less parts to worry about) and the main deciding factor was that even without the hydro feed it sucks stuff in pretty reliably, so on most materials you can throw something in and go back for more while it feeds. The extra wide chute is also a big plus if you have branchy material, I seldom need to trim things before stuffing them in. I saw a lightly used 6" model (bx 62) going for a bit over 2k, and got my lightly used 4" model for 2k. They do seem to sell pretty much immediately so if you see one you like grab it quick! I'm sure you'll be happy with any of the brands you mentioned and even though I didn't like the setup of the woods / bearcat, it was still a nice heavy duty well built unit.

/ Chipper/shredder advice #16  
I believe I have the same chipper as you intend to buy. Crary BearCat 70554.

If you keep the blades sharp it is almost self-feeding - very impressive and little to no effort. You can get spare blades for a reasonable price at Tennessee Saw & Knife. Then you just change out the blades while the other set is being sharpened.

Tennessee Saw and Knife - Brush Chipper Knives - Carey Bear Cat*New Style Double Edge 70554 New 73554-70080

The chute is a weak point. The OEM blower clogs way too quickly and often from my research so I didn't buy one. However a rake and a shovel work well to move the chips out of the way.

I've run that chipper off of BX2200 and L3650 with no problems whatsoever. Oh, and that is a good price.

/ Chipper/shredder advice #17  
We have a Salsco 6" with hydraulic feed. I've been happy. Be sure to mix limited old dry branches with fresh green; all dry will clog any chipper (makes dust).

RE: other brands: Patu, Valby, Wallenstein

RE: Features:
1. Look at feed angle - i.e. Salsco tray is realatively low and you don't have to pick heavy branches up high.

2. Try opening unit up; you'll need to remove jambs and eventually sharpen blades.

3. Try lowering tray and raising. Wallenstein was very heavy on their 6" model.

BTW, I saw all sorts of used chippers last fall on CL and NH Market Bulletin flyer. Might be a seasonal - clear out your barn now?

Well, plans changed so I was able to go look at the chipper this afternoon. It looked good to me so I bought it - gulp :) It's got a little rust but no big deal. I'll do some chipping with it in the next couple days and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions. I learned a lot!

- Can't wait to start chipping!

I believe I have the same chipper as you intend to buy. Crary BearCat 70554.

If you keep the blades sharp it is almost self-feeding - very impressive and little to no effort. You can get spare blades for a reasonable price at Tennessee Saw & Knife. Then you just change out the blades while the other set is being sharpened.

Tennessee Saw and Knife - Brush Chipper Knives - Carey Bear Cat*New Style Double Edge 70554 New 73554-70080

The chute is a weak point. The OEM blower clogs way too quickly and often from my research so I didn't buy one. However a rake and a shovel work well to move the chips out of the way.

I've run that chipper off of BX2200 and L3650 with no problems whatsoever. Oh, and that is a good price.

Wow, that's a mountain of chips! Thanks for the info.

/ Chipper/shredder advice #20  
Well, plans changed so I was able to go look at the chipper this afternoon. It looked good to me so I bought it - gulp :) It's got a little rust but no big deal. I'll do some chipping with it in the next couple days and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions. I learned a lot!

- Can't wait to start chipping!

Congrats! Have fun and take some pics.