Chipper/shredder advice

/ Chipper/shredder advice #21  
Well, plans changed so I was able to go look at the chipper this afternoon. It looked good to me so I bought it - gulp :) It's got a little rust but no big deal. I'll do some chipping with it in the next couple days and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions. I learned a lot!

- Can't wait to start chipping!

Congratulations! I spent a good part of the weekend feeding my Patu chipper and spreading chips over the asparagus and blueberry patches. The Patu came to me by way of Craig's List. When I got it home I used it right away and was somewhat disappointed with the performance - I had to push everything into it. With some good help from TBN members, I secured an owner's manual .pdf and the next weekend opened the chipper up and reset the knife feed depth (chip size) and knife to anvil gap to nominal specs. It was like a whole different machine. Draws very nicely now.

Long winded, I know. Point is, give it a good going over, check the blades and adjustments and give the bearings a good squirt with the grease gun. Then go have at it!

/ Chipper/shredder advice #22  
Well, plans changed so I was able to go look at the chipper this afternoon. It looked good to me so I bought it - gulp :) It's got a little rust but no big deal. I'll do some chipping with it in the next couple days and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions. I learned a lot!

- Can't wait to start chipping!

I think you made a good choice buying that chipper/shredder.
As a few others wrote, the Bearcat (can't recall the model number) and Woods 5000 are the same machine.
I run mine behind a 30 PTO HP Deere 4400...works like a champ! That extra 2 PTO HP won't be a problem. I'v seen videos of these chippers behind 35 PTO HP tractors. HOWEVER, if a branch does get caught and the chipper/shredder stalls, it may not stall the tractor. Those twin drive belts will smoke though!

I will mention a few more things...the chipper works great...just put the branch in the chute and step back. It'll munch away happily.
The shredder pulls in brush FAST!!! I mean...FAST!! It'll likely startle you at first.
Do wear snug fitting clothing and gloves with elastic at the wrist. No gauntlet type gloves. I suggest you wear hearing and eye protection as well.
The blowers are available as a retrofit kit. One will cost what you paid for the chipper/shredder. I just raise the unit up when there's a pile under the chipper/shredder and rake it out (fire rake works best).
As long as you plan your work (have the pile of brush in one area...build it up for a few weeks or so), these are definitely worksaving devices.

Good luck with your Bearcat and Be Safe!!

/ Chipper/shredder advice
Had a chance to use the chipper today - wow! I'm impressed. The tractor ran it with power to spare - it barely lost rpm even on big hard stuff. I ran a few limbs that were at least 4" and hard and dry. They needed a little pushing through, but it chipped them right up. I found that pretty much if it will fit in the chipper, it'll chip it, period.

I do think the blades need sharpened though. I felt the edges and they had a few nicks in them. Does anyone know if they are reversible?

I'm not as impressed with the shredder, as the pieces that came out were rather big. I think I'll try getting some steel grate and making a smaller screen for it - seems like that would keep the big stuff in there and let it get shredded more finely.

Anyway, thanks again for all the suggestions and advice everyone!

Attachments

• DSC_0002-low.jpg
    DSC_0002-low.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 129
  • DSC_0003-low.jpg
    DSC_0003-low.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
   / Chipper/shredder advice #24  
   / Chipper/shredder advice #25  
Yes, the blades are reversible. If you need advice on how to take the chipper apart to get to the blades just ask.

Here is the manual: (Darn, too big to upload. Got it from the Crary Bearcat site. If you PM me your e-mail address I'll try to send it.)

Meanwhile, the sharpening instructions are small enough to upload.

/ Chipper/shredder advice
Yes, the blades are reversible. If you need advice on how to take the chipper apart to get to the blades just ask.

Here is the manual: (Darn, too big to upload. Got it from the Crary Bearcat site. If you PM me your e-mail address I'll try to send it.)

Meanwhile, the sharpening instructions are small enough to upload.

Thanks - I went to the Bearcat site and got the manual. Lot's of good info there. Thanks!

/ Chipper/shredder advice #27  
I have the bushhog (really made by Goossen) version of that chipper but my blades are not reversible. Does anyone think the Bearcat/Woods blades would fit my chipper? I like the shredder best. However, getting to the blades is a pain because of the number of machine bolts that must be removed. Mine doesn't have the chute either. I looked into buying one. It comes with a pully assembly that motorizes it. The price for a new chute was $1500! I had to pass.

I have to move mine around on gravel where I store it with no access to get help from the tractor. I'm thinking about putting wheels on it so it rolls around like a dollie. Anyone think that's a bad idea? it is a heavy beast.

/ Chipper/shredder advice #28  
I have the bushhog (really made by Goossen) version of that chipper but my blades are not reversible. Does anyone think the Bearcat/Woods blades would fit my chipper? I like the shredder best. However, getting to the blades is a pain because of the number of machine bolts that must be removed. Mine doesn't have the chute either. I looked into buying one. It comes with a pully assembly that motorizes it. The price for a new chute was $1500! I had to pass.

I have to move mine around on gravel where I store it with no access to get help from the tractor. I'm thinking about putting wheels on it so it rolls around like a dollie. Anyone think that's a bad idea? it is a heavy beast.

Check Tennessee Saw and Knife for blades. (Link in post #16.)

I've never seen wheeled dollies work very well on gravel. Especially with a heavy load.

/ Chipper/shredder advice #29  
I am looking to buy a used pto chipper or chipper/shredder and was wondering if anyone has used these to to make bedding for livestock. I know some manufacturers sell finer screens but I don't know if there is anything that wil produce shavings. I am going to purchase either way, but this capability would really be a bonus. Any thoughts?

/ Chipper/shredder advice #30  
I am looking to buy a used pto chipper or chipper/shredder and was wondering if anyone has used these to to make bedding for livestock. I know some manufacturers sell finer screens but I don't know if there is anything that wil produce shavings. I am going to purchase either way, but this capability would really be a bonus. Any thoughts?

I know Woods (probably Bearcat too) sells different sized screens. How fine do you need?