Chipper/shredder advice

/ Chipper/shredder advice #41  
The only thing about heat is the possibility of losing the temper of the blades. If they are heated only at the base then the heat might work. Not to the point red hot, of course.

If heat is applied to the spacers (tubes) between the blades then they might expand and freeze the blade even more.

How about using a pipe wrench to try to turn those spacers and maybe break some of the corrosion underneath. A couple of days soaking with PB blaster, WD40, or some other penetrating oil might make a difference as well.

I can see why the company may have gone to the single blade rather than the two piece blade. As you previously noted, anything that would get between the halves of the blade would wedge it out onto the spacers and freeze things up.

Do any of the blade pairs turn normally? Do the pair of blades spin separately or are they welded/tacked together. None of them seem to be apart in the photo but rather matched together perfectly.

/ Chipper/shredder advice
I like the idea of working on loosening the spacers with a pipe wrench. I'll try that and see what happens.

I agree about the single blade vs double blade. The double blade design is just waiting to get stuff jammed in between them.

Actually, some of them are tack welded together at the base of the knife and some are not. Interestingly, the ones that are separate are loose and spin freely, and all the ones that are welded together are stuck or at least tight. Seems like welding them encourages stuff to get stuck in them. I think I'll grind the welds off once I get them loosened up.

/ Chipper/shredder advice #43  
I'm wondering if the previous owner got something out of place when it was re-assembled. I'm guessing it was apart at some time since you have some knives that are welded. This may be a long shot, but if you go to Bearcat's website and download the shredder knife kit manual, you will see that the bushings go on in a specific order, according to length. If they we mixed up it could cause the knives to bind. Also, it specifies that you use a new rotor knife shaft if you take it aprt for repair. Maybe because they come apart so hard that damage is inevitable.

Also, I'd be really interested in seeing what you come up with for a chip chute. I just got the same chipper, an about the same condition that your's is. Kicking chips away is a bit of a drag. My model is a 554 and has rectangular shredder knives. It appears that the newer model is the 5540.

I'm wondering if the previous owner got something out of place when it was re-assembled. I'm guessing it was apart at some time since you have some knives that are welded. This may be a long shot, but if you go to Bearcat's website and download the shredder knife kit manual, you will see that the bushings go on in a specific order, according to length. If they we mixed up it could cause the knives to bind. Also, it specifies that you use a new rotor knife shaft if you take it aprt for repair. Maybe because they come apart so hard that damage is inevitable.

Also, I'd be really interested in seeing what you come up with for a chip chute. I just got the same chipper, an about the same condition that your's is. Kicking chips away is a bit of a drag. My model is a 554 and has rectangular shredder knives. It appears that the newer model is the 5540.

That's a good thought. I haven't torn it apart yet, probably will tomorrow morning. I'll check bushings and maybe there is something out of place.

Congrats on the new machine! Yep, mine's a 554 too. Thankfully the owner had the original manual for it because the website doesn't have the 554, only the 5540, which is a little different. I'll keep you updated as to how it all works out.

I finally had a chance to get out to the shop and work on the shredder. I ground off the welds on the stuck blades. After a little more persuasion, they are finally free! Not sure whether they are designed welded together, since some of them were welded and others were not, but if they were I have changed the design! :) Having them welded is really a bad idea because it just helps debris get lodged in between the blades. Now they swing free and hopefully won't cause any more trouble.

I'm sending the chipper blades to TN Saw and Knife for sharpening. Once I get those back it'll be like a new machine!