CK20S HST - Hi SUX!

/ CK20S HST - Hi SUX! #21  
For what's its worth, when I went to pick up my ck20s - which now has about 50 hrs - the dealer was draining the fuel and changing the filter on a brand new ck20. They found the diesel had completely gelled somewhere between delivery and Korea. When mine was set up, they did the same. Could it be that yours has the same problem? My 20s (no bh, but with a back blade and loader) will move along without hesitation up a moderate incline as long as there's enough RPM and the peddle isn't mashed. My $0.02

/ CK20S HST - Hi SUX!
Fuel's not the problem. If it was fuel gelling, the tractor won't start.

Personally, I really don't understand why your dealer drained the fuel for gelling. If the fuel was contaminated, yes, drain and fill, but gelling, heck no. If my fuel gelled, I'd just add an anti gelling agent.

If I had to guess why the fuel was gelled from Korea to Canada, I'd say it was because of the temps in Canada. Low temps causes diesel to gell. Warm up the fuel some, then it'll go back into liquid form again.

BTW, how was your dealer able to drain gelled diesel?

/ CK20S HST - Hi SUX! #23  
Hey,
Joe, I would not worry about the Hi gear for now. like most of the others posted, see how it is after 40 or 50 hrs. I have a CK30hst and in Hi gear, its not much use. I only put it in Hi when I go for beer run in to town :) I stay in Mid gear for the most part. You may want to try taking it out of 4wd. this might help..or hurt the speed. again..I pretty much use Hi gear in 2wd when I take it on the road. I have a some pretty good slopes to get up, but again I gotta little bigger machine and 200+ hours on it.

Aloha
Joe

/ CK20S HST - Hi SUX! #24  
mauistardog said:
You may want to try taking it out of 4wd.

That is a good point, I wonder if there is a big difference between 2WD and 4WD. I only use my 4WD in the winter when snowblowing or if I am working in some deep mud, both cases are in low gear. When traveling in high or even doing light loader work, I use 2WD.

/ CK20S HST - Hi SUX!
I tried both 2 and 4wd. It didn't make any difference. I tried it with the throttle up as far as it would go too. The weight is just to much for the tractor.

Now I know why the Kubota BX24 is so light compared to the Kioti. It allows a usable HI gear on the BX24. I'm now wondering, if any of the lower HP Bota B series tractors have the same issues as my Kioti.

/ CK20S HST - Hi SUX! #26  
I would double check your fuel filter, you can have a restriction and will have a big power loss. Again, you will gain power once it breaks in. 100 hours I figure until most see full power. And yes they will run with a partly plugged filter or partially gelled fuel, again at a power loss. Out of many tractors, this one seems to be most prone to fuel gelling due to no engine heat. All other models the filter is under the hood and get some heat and don't seem to gell as much. Now also someone posted that you can just add anti gel and correct the problem..... answer is sometimes. Sometimes once a filter is waxed, you can not ever get it back to 100%. I always replace filter and use anti gel if I have had a gelling problem.

/ CK20S HST - Hi SUX! #27  
crabjoe said:
I tried both 2 and 4wd. It didn't make any difference. I tried it with the throttle up as far as it would go too. The weight is just to much for the tractor.

Now I know why the Kubota BX24 is so light compared to the Kioti. It allows a usable HI gear on the BX24. I'm now wondering, if any of the lower HP Bota B series tractors have the same issues as my Kioti.
The BX is not a fair comparison. The new B series do have the 3 range HST though. I think that the HI range may have been equally useless, that is why they added M range.

/ CK20S HST - Hi SUX! #28  
crabjoe said:
Fuel's not the problem. If it was fuel gelling, the tractor won't start.

Personally, I really don't understand why your dealer drained the fuel for gelling. If the fuel was contaminated, yes, drain and fill, but gelling, heck no. If my fuel gelled, I'd just add an anti gelling agent.

If I had to guess why the fuel was gelled from Korea to Canada, I'd say it was because of the temps in Canada. Low temps causes diesel to gell. Warm up the fuel some, then it'll go back into liquid form again.

BTW, how was your dealer able to drain gelled diesel?

Crabjoe,

When I mentioned the fact that my dealer had changed the fuel filter and drained any remaining diesel in the tank prior to delivery it was because the last tractor delivered had a waxy, gelled fuel contaminating the filter. The tractor ran, but didn't develop full power. Yes, it was a canadian dealer and yes, diesel gels at low temps. This was more than likely contamination, not temperature related gelling.

I mentioned this in response to your post because it could be a partially blocked filter not allowing your 20 to develop full power. It could be other things as well. I offered it as suggestion as something to rule out. Minds are like parachutes - they function only when open :).

As for the draining "gelled" diesel (waxy diesel more appropriately) that was easy. He brought the tractor into the shop and let it warm up. Hope you get the problem sorted!

Mark

/ CK20S HST - Hi SUX!
Thanks for the explanation Mark.

BTW, do you know what RPMs the motor should be hitting at full throttle?

/ CK20S HST - Hi SUX! #30  
crabjoe said:
Thanks for the explanation Mark.

BTW, do you know what RPMs the motor should be hitting at full throttle?

I do know you need to follow the break in procedure...

No full throttle for a while !