Compact tractor advice please

/ Compact tractor advice please #11  
Have to agree with Roy, Sean and LD1 regarding the size of tractor you should consider. The L3010 and DK35 are much larger tractors than the others on your list. Your initial work plans involve some serious work for which you should be using a serious tool. Doing heavy work with lightweight equipment is a recipe for damaging your equipment or yourself. While some of your work can be done in smaller bites by the lighter machines, and neither of those are going to mow the lawn, they seem like the clear choice to me for what you plan to do.

Good advice from the others above.

My take is you need a lawn mower, maybe a self propelled walk behind to start with or a cheap rider. A good tractor about 35hp is a good choice for the rest of the work and wouldn't buy anything much smaller.

About the implements and tractor purchase, combined all of this stuff can add up fast, maybe more than you want to spend. What I have done and alot of others have done is start with the basics and add the other implements over time. I would suggest a 35 hp tractor with fel, front blower and brush mower. That should get you started with clean up on the place as well as being able to deal with the snow. Add the rest of the stuff as you can and take the time to consider your needs. I agree with Roy, the backhoe would be a low priority at this juncture as I suspect you will have lots of other places to spend money right off the bat.

I would consider buying used if you can find the right combination or buy new while financing is good, something along the lines of a Deere 3520 comes to mind or something similar in other brands.

Most of all enjoy your new place, sounds like a great move up.:thumbsup:

/ Compact tractor advice please #12  
Steve's right about getting the basics up front then expanding.

The original buy was the tractor, with a FEL and bush hog.

In the past 2 years we've added a 2 bottom plow, disc harrow, post hole digger, and a rear blade, all of which were used. Grand total for those 4 was $1200 and the cost of some welding rod, steel, and paint for repairs. You just have to shop around and wait for the right deal.

I added hydraulic power angle to the blade, but it wasn't a must-have.

We recently picked up a new (never used) logging winch for a few hundred under retail and no taxes.

Something else to consider if you're shopping for used implements is what's available in your area, what size in particular. Cat 1 implements are the most common here, most stuff is in the size range I need to fit the Kubota.

Sean

/ Compact tractor advice please
Check out General Truck & Equipment.
I have passed the store many times. As their website says, over 12 thousand people do every day. They are just east of I-91 south of I-89. They are big on Mahindra from their web site. Unfortunately they are also the closest dealer and in this case, 'close' is about 160 miles. That is why I have not been considering Mahindras.

Use a lawn mower (walk behind or lawn tractor) for the 1/2 acre of finished lawn
If I end up with the bigger tractor, I will have to do so. The wife isn't interested in mowing lawns, she did it as a summer job for years as a teen and kind of burned out. She'd be happy to rip out lawn and put in more garden space :) We rarely mow the lawn at the current house, all of about 20'x40' but there are 2 big maples on either end so the grass doesn't grow fast, and it is mostly weed anyway ;)
Backhoe...lot of money. Would you need it other then the clearing for the fruit trees?
PLANTING the trees :) Gotta dig a lot of holes for an orchard.
Snow blower? Do some more reading before you spend the money. No doubt, you'll get one ultimately, but finding a front blower might be tough. Rear blade and a loader does quite well in the interim.
If it were just clearing the parking area and busting town plow walls, I'd certainly be happy with a plow. But there is a lady boarding 2 horses and a pony and I am responsible for making sure she can get to them. Don't yet know if I am also supposed to clear any outside space for them. If you look at the picture, I need to clean down between the barns and shoving snow along a rubblestone foundation (which has issues on that side of the big barn) doesn't seem prudent. In addition, the 'wall' of snow will block the door to the lower alley so now it is out with the shovel to clear that. And then there is the issue of where to push the snow. Lots of fencing. As to front vs back blower: I have no depth perception. Running in reverse would be harder for me than normal folks.
So, a lot depends on your available cash and willingness to spend it or go into more debt after buying 30 acres. Having been to Vermont and seen some of the old farms, I'm going to guess you'll be needing to put money in the house and outbuildings too.
Very perceptive :) I already know the barns need some work, the bigger one has foundation issues on the south side and a supported broken rafter. I figured it was a new problem but the current owner said it was broken when they bought the place 12 years ago! All he did was shore up the support. :confused: I'm having a local post and beam restoration company come assess the work needed to fix them back up.

I have some cash, which is why if I get a used tractor that has some of the major implements, I am willing to buy the others new if I can't find used in good shape. Might be better that way since they are likely the parts that take the most beating.

/ Compact tractor advice please #15  
That is probably the worst choice, it doesn't even have a loader, let alone a backhoe.

Scratch the BX off the list, it is too small. The B7610 looks good and the B2710 might be good if you can negotiate the price down a bit. If a backhoe is must have and cost is critical then you really need to get a package that has everything up front. Finding a used backhoe can be hit or miss and you may end up having to buy new.

Not the sizes of tractor I would pick for the farm he is describing.

/ Compact tractor advice please #16  
Not the sizes of tractor I would pick for the farm he is describing.

The OP is budget constrained and desires a backhoe. The backhoe is the hardest attachment to pick up used and most expensive to buy new. If he really wants a backhoe he will need to get it out the gate as part of the tractor.

/ Compact tractor advice please #17  
The OP is budget constrained and desires a backhoe. The backhoe is the hardest attachment to pick up used and most expensive to buy new. If he really wants a backhoe he will need to get it out the gate as part of the tractor.

When he is ready to plant the trees in the orchard he can hire that out and get by without a backhoe. I do agree that buying a new backhoe attachment is expensive but so is hiring a foundation company to shore up the building. Lots of ways to spend money on a newly purchased farmplace.

When he is ready to plant the trees in the orchard he can hire that out and get by without a backhoe.
The catalog on the web for the nursery I'm thinking of using says they will plant trees for you - at $40/each. Don't know if that includes the $30 planting mix, tree scald paint, fertilizer, etc per tree they offer with their "instant fruit grove (11 trees, 4 fruit types)" or not. I have to assume not since $10 isn't much to actually dig the hole and plant the tree. If you figure ~100 trees per acre (apples/pears), that is $4K for them to plant. Nearly twice that for something like peaches, plums and apricots that can be planted 15' apart.

Of course the flip side is that I won't likely be planting acres and acres of trees right off. Figure to start small and work from there. Don't need to spend a small fortune on trees and have them all die! My hope is to build the farm up so that when I retire in maybe 5 years, it will be a going concern for "after retirement" life/job. Better (for me) than a part time job delivering car parts or rotting in a chair on the porch.

This whole thing would be a lot easier if I didn't have to deal with the snow removal right off. If this was spring, I could let the grass grow and put off the tractor decision until I determine what I can do with the rest of the property. I just can't see putting out $4-5K for a dedicated snow removal machine when I will need a tractor for the field work anyway. I'm not like my "the one who dies with the most toys wins" brother in law. I figure fewer machines means fewer things to maintain and less time needed to do it.

Another potential use for the hoe would be rock removal. The high res ANR photos don't show a lot on my property, but a lot on the property to the north. Could be I'll have a bunch just at the surface or not big enough to show on the sat images and I'd rather not mow rocks in the fields. Obviously not going to remove 20 ton chunks of ledge, but if there are 'reasonable' sized chunks in the fields or where I *think* I can put in the orchard, I think the hoe would be the only way shy of hiring a big rig at how much an hour? I kind of envision a little something here a little something there as time and need permits. That's why having the implements to do the job makes sense to me.
Lots of ways to spend money on a newly purchased farmplace.
I don't think anyone will argue with that!

/ Compact tractor advice please #19  
I second -third?- the advice to check out new, just because of the zero financing. Plus you KNOW you are getting a machine without problems- and if there is one, the warrantee is there.
It sounds like the snow removal is an immediate concern. Can you hire that out for this winter, and make the tractor decisions in the spring?
As to a backhoe, rentals around here are $250 day/$750/week. And that is for the real deal, a Deere 310- 4x4 ext. hoe, 93 HP. It can do more in an hour than the "toy" ones can do in a week.
It is generally good advice to rent before you buy. Even better is to get a free 'loaner" from a dealer. . .:thumbsup:

/ Compact tractor advice please #20  
Sorry to do this to you guys and gals, it must get old. But, closing on the 26 acres - 21 woods, 5 pasture/barns/house/lawn (1/2ish acre) Tuesday. Land slopes down a bit from the house to the pond then up the hill to the west (left). Pretty gradual, easy walking without huffing and puffing.

You're barking up the wrong tree with almost all of the tractors listed. 'B' sized Kubotas are too small for you. Get an 'L' frame tractor, and shoot for 35-40HP. Also, prices listed for the used machines are high across the board. I think you might be able to get new for just a few thousand more - a friend of mine just bought an L3400 w/ loader for $18k delivered. Negotiate hard if you are interested in any of these machines.

JayC