Compact tractor advice please

/ Compact tractor advice please #31  
When you're looking for all the pieces that you are, I agree with many here, new is probably the best bet. Everything on your list is going to be way more than you want to spend on a used tractor once you get it set up as you described.

I also agree that the BX and B series tractors are too small for you. They're great at what they do for the jobs they were meant to do, but it sounds like you need something a little bigger and capable.

After shopping everything I could find within a reasonable distance to my place, my list was whittled down to the Kubota L3200 and the Kioti CK 30, both HST, both with BH. In the end, I went with Kioti because I felt it had more features, was physically bigger and heavier, was more capable and the dealer was willing to work with me to take my JD on trade and get the deal done.

The snowblower is the big one for you IMO. You seem stuck on the front blower, which is fine, but you also seem to have your eye on the bottom line, as we all do. Those two don't go well together, you'll spend $6K on a front blower vs $2.5K on a rear blower. Have you considered an inverse rear blower? That would still allow you to drive forward and allow you to get right up to a barn/shop/house. You can always knock down a big mess at the end of the driveway with the FEL. Also, a CUT under 40-45 hp will only handle up to a 60" blower (there are some 62" and 68" blowers that may work), and those are in much shorter demand when you're looking for used.

/ Compact tractor advice please
Have you considered an inverse rear blower? That would still allow you to drive forward and allow you to get right up to a barn/shop/house. You can always knock down a big mess at the end of the driveway with the FEL.
I just saw those online recently - they are the ones that are 'front facing' tow behinds?

I was wondering how well they work on the snow you pack with the tires before the blower gets to it. Have some dumb@ss thoughts about little front mount 'blades' that angle in front of the front tires enough to funnel the snow either outside the tires (inc rears) or under the tractor so the tires wouldn't pack it to ice.

/ Compact tractor advice please #33  
Well, I have to admit, I don't have an inverse blower, YET. There's no question that's what I'll do once the wife cools down enough from me buying the new tractor.

You have it right though, you do drive over it before it reaches the blower. I currently use a rear blade to clear snow. It can't weigh more than 200 lbs (I'm guessing less) because two of us easily lifted it up into the bed of a pickup. I have no problem at all with snow packing down, not being cleared and turning to ice. I have a paved driveway, and it stays clear and ice free all winter. The extra weight of a blower would make it that much better at scraping the snow that you drive over.

I'm in Ottawa and we get tons of snow. The snow contractors who do residential driveways (very big business here) only use inverse snowblowers. They are using 90+ hp tractors with 96" or 102" blowers, but I've seen them clear a long laneway with 12" of snow without slowing down.

If you do consider a used inverse snowblower, they seem to be VERY hard to find in the 60"-68" range, which is all a 35hp tractor will handle. They seem to come up more frequently in the 72" range. New, I've been quoted in the $3K - $3.5K range vs $2K - $2.5K range for the regular rear blower, but Canadian prices are usually a lot higher. They are still almost half the cost of a front blower from the prices I've seen.

/ Compact tractor advice please #34  
Don't get too hung up on tires. Turff's will do just fine in the woods.:)

I wouldn't be too sure of that. Being a New Englander myself, I know what the woods can be like. Lots of rocks and boulders, lots of downed logs, all wet and slippery. Nothing at all like the woods in Europe where they look like people come and sweep them on a weekly basis.

Turfs are about the most delicate of tires you can use. They don't like rolling over hard, sharp, pointy rocks; and do best on level, groomed fields with guys carrying a bag with clubs and banging a little white ball around for hours.

And trying to get traction on wet greasy rocks and logs with turfs is a non-starter unless you spend $$ for chains.

/ Compact tractor advice please #35  
I wouldn't be too sure of that. Being a New Englander myself, I know what the woods can be like. Lots of rocks and boulders, lots of downed logs, all wet and slippery. Nothing at all like the woods in Europe where they look like people come and sweep them on a weekly basis.

Turfs are about the most delicate of tires you can use. They don't like rolling over hard, sharp, pointy rocks; and do best on level, groomed fields with guys carrying a bag with clubs and banging a little white ball around for hours.

And trying to get traction on wet greasy rocks and logs with turfs is a non-starter unless you spend $$ for chains.

I agree:thumbsup:

/ Compact tractor advice please #36  

I agree too...I have turfs and I couldn't get up a fairly mild slope (15 degrees) with wet leaves under me. That was in 4WD, BTW.
So, the OP has got it from three TBNers...stay out of the woods with turfs (or art least be prepared to tow your tractor).

/ Compact tractor advice please #37  
Turfs are NOT the first choice, but if they come with the (used) tractor, so be it. Someone here said the ones on my 850 are "1970's style". They spend lots of time in the woods, and I haven't gotten stuck (yet):D
My right heel knows exactly where the dif lock is, though:laughing:

Attachments

• 850-woods 72dpi.jpg
    850-woods 72dpi.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 109
   / Compact tractor advice please #38  
Turfs are NOT the first choice, but if they come with the (used) tractor, so be it. Someone here said the ones on my 850 are "1970's style". They spend lots of time in the woods, and I haven't gotten stuck (yet):D
My right heel knows exactly where the dif lock is, though:laughing:

I would say they are great, look how that tractor is hugging the side of that hill ;)

/ Compact tractor advice please
It all comes down to money. How much are you willing to spend?

Someone said to look at Kubota L series. "A friend got a L3400 for 18K." Add a front mount snow blower, a backhoe, some kind of mower and look at that price. The nice thing about the Kubota website is you can build the tractor on line and see how much it will cost brand new list price.
Money? You need MONEY to buy a tractor? ;)
I went to the local Kubota dealer yesterday. Like some of you, he went with the "forget the backhoe, too expensive" thought process. This place happens to rent a lot of equipment. He said they rent big excavators for $2,500 a MONTH delivered and picked up. They have weekly rates of course but he was giving an example for my argument of having a backhoe when you have time. So, yeah, if you plan your projects, it does seem like the $8K for the backhoe is pretty expensive. Gotta love a salesman who says DON'T give me your money. :thumbsup:

As I went into the store, I passed a BX. You all are right. I'm sure it is a great machine for mowing and blowing, but it would look like a grasshopper out in the fields and up in the woods. He also skipped over the B's for the same reason. So, yep up to the L's. But since I want a front blower, it has to be a Grand, can't get a mid PTO on the other L's. He had a 3240 (after passing more Bx's and B's) in the parking lot so I could see it, sit on it, get explanations for everything, etc. He quoted a 'their price' for the Grand L3240, quick attach loader and front blower at (ouch) $31K. By comparison, the Massey salesman came back with a front blower setup - 1532 instead of the 1533 ('cause he has one on the lot so I can drive it he says) Tractor, quick attach loader with 63" front blower installed for $24K. That is a lot of change between the two. Don't know if the 1532 is 'equivalent' to the Grand 3240 or even if the 1533 is (nor pricing on the 1533). And maybe the 1532 can do what I want and maybe it can't. Need to look at the specs for everything. Need to sit on the 1532 (it was near closing and dark when I went to Massey), didn't see a 1533. And of course there are the other brand dealers to visit.

I guess I am making progress. I do have the land now and am learning about tractors. Thanks all!

/ Compact tractor advice please #40  
I guess I am making progress. I do have the land now and am learning about tractors. Thanks all![/QUOTE]

I think you are now well enough that you no longer need to attend our daily group therapy sessions:thumbsup:

On a more serious note, it sounds like you have a good dealership/salesman there. See if you can talk him into a used "loaner" to try out on your property, or at least rent one for a week, and put some hours on it, at various tasks. Kind of like dating, before marriage. . .:laughing: