Compact tractor advice please

/ Compact tractor advice please #41  
I'm not familiar with the Massey lineup, the 3240 is a NICE midsize tractor, and will almost definitely do what you need it to. The 3540 is a few more horsepower, and a few more dollars too. The economy L series has no mid-pto option, other than that they're pretty good. If the price had been lower we might have gone the Grand L route, but just didn't see anything that was worth the extra price to me.

You're right, it's time to start looking at numbers, to be sure you're comparing apples to apples. I think you'll find the Kubota/Deere tractors will carry a slight premium for comparable tractors, and you're paying for the name and dealer networks. They are a little easier to sell used, generally speaking, so if you think you might want to upgrade or trade in a few years that is a factor to consider.

I'm not saying anything other than Kubota or Deere is any less of a tractor, it's just the way things are. People see the Kubota or Deere name and they assume it's top-quality equipment. Marketing is a wonderful way to make money...

Sean

/ Compact tractor advice please
See if you can talk him into a used "loaner" to try out on your property, or at least rent one for a week, and put some hours on it, at various tasks. Kind of like dating, before marriage. . .:laughing:
I didn't know dealers did that, I will definitely ask once I've narrowed the choices so I don't waste anyone's time.

Talked to the 'horse lady' today to see what she needs and all. Looks like I need a brush hog (or flail?) She's not been using a couple of pastures and they are way high. Said she would use them if they got cut. Also said her husband used the prior owner's 22 HP Kabota BX to mow them once last year. Took a LONG time. Just adds to the veracity of the prior owner's, lots of people here and the Kubota dealer's "BX is too small" comments.

/ Compact tractor advice please
Figured I'd put in an update.

Found out the horse lady's husband has a blower for his truck and they will take care of getting down to the barn. They are great people, do all their own work, and quality (unlike the prior owner of the place I am finding).

Need a gate in the alleyway? Make a gate. And put a stud next to the window on which to mount it. Some jackass cut the studs to put in windows that were 2 inches wider than the existing opening. Didn't put in a new stud, no header. Must have found some free windows or something. Had to be some time back since they are rotting and mostly broken. Otta be shot though :mad:

Getting slippery on the hill? Installed a covered sand barrel at the top this morning. Happy to discuss everything before they do anything.

And they are coming Monday to take the half finished queen sized Murphy bed and mattress up to the farm. You can put ALMOST anything in a Prius but not sheet goods and beds ;)

There is an "Old farmer" down the street, still does hay but has had enough of the beef cattle thing. My guess is he is mid-60's so not all that old. He is going to plow so for the moment I am out of the "tractor looking" business. This is a good thing because now that we own the place I am finding all sorts of stuff the prior owners screwed up and it is running up the bills.

/ Compact tractor advice please #44  
" for the moment I am out of the "tractor looking" business."
Good choice!
Compared to a roof, a furnace, a kitchen, tractors are a luxury.
Do the "must do" stuff first, and start a tractor fund. Hopefully you won't need to dip into it for unseen emergencies!

/ Compact tractor advice please #45  
...for the moment I am out of the "tractor looking" business. This is a good thing because now that we own the place I am finding all sorts of stuff the prior owners screwed up and it is running up the bills.

Wise decision...