Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #171  
f there is no DPF there is an alternative incendiary technology to burn off very fine particulates (soot). Sometimes exhaust heat is elevated all the time, sometimes periodically.
Diesel particulates must be burned. THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH.
Do keep in mind always that the incinerated ash stays in the cannister and and the cannister element has to be cleaned or renewed at some point. Kubota says 3500 regens, not sure about other brands but I will say that is a dealer service because the ECM also has to be reset.

Actually, there is a FREE LUNCH. Don't buy one (T4 final tractor). I don't have any and don't want any either.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0
1) Do keep in mind always that the incinerated ash stays in the cannister and and the cannister element has to be cleaned or renewed at some point. 2) Kubota says 3500 regens, not sure about other brands but I will say that is a dealer service because the ECM also has to be reset.

1) Yes. Everything on a tractor needs to be repaired, renewed or adjusted at some point, including the DPF.

2) My L3560 regenerates every 60 engine hours.
60 X 3,500 = 210,000 engine hours.

The average Kubota tractor owner with Tier IV exhaust paraphernalia, who carefully reads the Owner's Manual section on regeneration and follows the directions, will have more worry and expense over tire type/wear/punctures/traction than DPF function.

Last edited:
   / Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #173  
My L3560 regenerates every 60 hours.
60 X 3,500 = 210,000 engine hours.
Interestingly, the bulk of repairs at my dealer seem to involve emissions issues and not mechanical ones. Most of the issues seem to arise when owners don't follow the recommended regen and try to circumvent it. Not an issue with me as neither of my M9's have any emissions junk on them. Your engine won't last that many hours without a major rebuild anyway and Kubota has adopted a policy of not rebuilding any engines but installing a reman engine instead.

I believe Kubota is banking on the second or third owner having to deal with cannister replacement, not the original owner. I also suspect that very few of the posters on here have the meter hours I have on my tractors anyway, if any actually. My 2002 has over 6K hours on it and my 2004 has over 4K hours on it. Both run like tops and both have not had any major mechanical issue either, other than replacement of worn parts.

Emission controls on internal combustion engines are inevitable considering the increase in world population and the desire of those entering the middle class to own an automobile.

Tier V emission controls will be here soon, unlikely to exempt <26 horsepower engines from DPF, probably requiring blue diesel exhaust fluid at 50+ horsepower.

Tier V has been a fact of life in the European Union, population 451 million, for several years. Tractors are still selling.

North America is fortunate to have Europe trialing Tier V for us.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #175  
Last new chainsaw I purchased (Echo) came with a CAT in the muffler which I immediately put in the trash can. I had to buy a non cat muffler for it and interestingly Echo sells them for their saws. Runs a lot better without it.

I foresee even lawnmowers coming with emissions controls in the near future as in cat's.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #176  
The inherent issue with T4 engines is not the emissions hardware but the electronic controls as in ECM's and the proprietary software and the inability to diagnose issues using the now standard OBD scanners. Not even my high buck Autel scanner can access anything on a Kubota because of the proprietary plug in's.

The tractor builders really need to adopt an industry wide standard and stick to it. Sure, I can borrow my dealer's scanner if I wanted to but not everyone can do that. Not that I need it actually because both mine are strictly mechanically injected.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #177  
I foresee even lawnmowers coming with emissions controls in the near future as in cat's.

Several states have already outlawed ICE lawnmowers (and other small engine powered equipment) and the way things are going I see the Federal government doing the same thing shortly.

Your new electric lawnmower won't need emissions equipment.

I can tell you from experience with my L2501 HST, going from 25 HP stock, to 44.1 HP with the Turbo Kit, was a significant improvement in operating performance. Luckily, no regen or DPF for me.

DPF equipped tractors produce only ~ 1% ~ of the cancer and smog producing diesel particulates which are produces by ~ 25-horsepower ~ diesel tractors without DPFs.

Turbocharging an L2501 so it produces 200 times as much pollution as a 33-39 horsepower, DPF equipped Kubota tractor should be a crime.

If you need > 25-horsepower buy a DPF equipped, legal machine.

Last edited:
   / Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #179  
Time to twist the wick a bit
1690765614022.png