Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #161  
Certainly both are Tier IV compliant.
Tier IV exempts tractors <25.4794 horsepower from Tier IV standards.
The L2501 is dirty.
No, it does not exempt it from Tier IV standards. It meets Tier IV standards for that size of engine.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #162  
Still wrong no matter how many times it gets posted.
I suppose one could stretch it, but, no, in my mind "same" is not the same as "different" (or, if you will, "different" is not the same as "same"):

From Definition of SAME

Definition of same

(Entry 1 of 3)

1a : resembling in every relevant respect

b : conforming in every respect —used with as

2a : being one without addition, change, or discontinuance : identical

b : being the one under discussion or already referred to

3 : corresponding so closely as to be indistinguishable

4 : equal in size, shape, value, or importance —usually used with the or a demonstrative (such as that, those) in all senses

And from Definition of DIFFERENT

Full Definition of different

(Entry 1 of 2)

1 : partly or totally unlike in nature, form, or quality : dissimilar could hardly be more different —often followed by from, than, or chiefly British to small, neat hand, very different from the captain's tottery characters— R. L. Stevensonvastly different in size than it was twenty-five years ago— N. M. Puseya very different situation to the … one under which we live— Sir Winston Churchill

2 : not the same: such as

a : distinct different age groups

b : various different members of the class

c : another switched to a different TV program

3 : unusual, special she was different and superior

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0
My anticipated use is 50-100 hours a year.

This is the operating hour range when emission control equipment may be cranky. If you can find a good 2012 or older used tractor with 35-50 horsepower it will predate emission control requirements. (DPF = diesel particulate filter + paraphernalia.)

Using a <26-horsepower tractor you might have to occasionally cut a partial swathe, say 50", in tall, dry grass with a five foot rotary cutter but not very burdensome on ten acres, mostly occupied by trees.

A 5' Roto-Tiller will be within the capacity of an <26-horsepower tractor to power tilling MOIST soil. Consider a Middlebuster or a Bucket Spade in lieu of other attachments for tree planting. A Middlebuster is also a good tool for breaking very hard ground when a breaking plow is not wanted.

Normally I preach BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR, but as your ten (10) acres are flat and mostly occupied by Christmas trees, stability will not be a major issue. Consider the simplicity of a HST tractor without Tier IV emissions paraphernalia.

Last edited:
Thank You Jeff
I have reviewed the specs on Kioti's site for both tractors, same frame, same lift capacity, just not sure on the dragging capacity / real world between the 2 tractors. Hoping someone can chime in and let me know if the 2620 turned up HP will be equivalent or close to the 3520 which has slightly more Cu In motor.
Or someone with a 2620 could provide their experience doing dragging work.

Tractors with Tier IV emission controls emit only 1% of the soot relative to equal weight tractors not requiring Diesel Particulate Filters + paraphernalia. Knowing this, I still recommend <26-horsepower tractors from time to time because they are legal at present in the USA.

The idea of turning up a small displacement diesel engine to higher revolutions, thereby spewing enormous amount of particulates, which YOU will be breathing in concentrated form, is a bad idea. I speculate those same particulates settled the hunting land you wish to improve will send a warning signal to wildlife.

For dragging, tractor weight is the first essential, for traction. Tractor horsepower is second.

fishbones' reply:
Something to consider for sure. Thought about it this weekend. Have to back out of barn quickly when firing up the LK3054.

Last edited:
   / Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #166  
I've gone back to using 1950's to 1980 technology tractors and couldn't be happier.

It was only hard to adjust to not having a built in cup holder and a plastic interior. LOL

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #167  
So could you run two 25 HP diesels and avoid the emission requirements??
No use letting the boaters have all the fun with multiple engines !

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #168  
I remember the transition from carb's to throttle bodies to fuel injection.
Some screamed the world as we knew it was going to end.
We survived.

1681699449789.png

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) Version 2.0 #169  
So could you run two 25 HP diesels and avoid the emission requirements??
No use letting the boaters have all the fun with multiple engines !
I'll buy one! make it look like the old International 2+2 with the big long hood!

Now I'm drooling Mmmmmm IH 2+2 with DT466 power!!!!

What makes/models are in that bigger/heavier/more capabable then a sub compact, and still in the cheap, small range?

I assume the 25hp emissions stuff is the reason for a significant price jump right at that border line.

Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Every tractor brand includes Compact tractor models weighing from 2,700 to 2,900 pounds bare weight with a less than 26 horsepower engine.

I assume the 25hp emissions stuff is the reason for a significant price jump right at that border line.

Yes.

Stricter Tier IV off-road diesel engine emission reduction standards phased in dealer tractor inventory during 2009 - 2012, impacting tractor prices.

Tier IV emission standards require tractor manufacturers to add or revise pollution reduction technology on new tractors generating over 19 kW power = 25.4794 horsepower.

DPF is used by the majority of tractor manufactures for emissions control on OVER 25.4794 horsepower tractors.

Tier IV technology complicates the engine and exhaust package and is a significant cost factor. However, the pollutants emitted by a Tier IV technology tractor are about 1% of the pollutants emitted by a non Tier IV tractor.

Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) captures exhaust particulates (soot) in a ceramic matrix. When tractor engine runs sufficiently hot, accumulated particulates burn off periodically without operator intervention. If engine is not run continuously hot long enough to burn off particulates, diesel soot accumulates in the matrix. Once heavy soot accumulates in DPF the tractor forces soot clearance with the tractor parked and throttle open to about 2,200 rpm for about sixteen minutes, which makes the DPF REALLY HOT to burn off all accumulated soot. Burning off accumulated soot, either during operation or parked is called REGENERATION.

If there is no DPF there is an alternative incendiary technology to burn off very fine particulates (soot). Sometimes exhaust heat is elevated all the time, sometimes periodically.
Diesel particulates must be burned. THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH.