Comparison Compare Massey F. against 'big three'

/ Compare Massey F. against 'big three' #1  

jeffgreef

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmall, Gibson, Windolph, Simar, Bear Cat, Vaughan, Howard
In researching the different manufacturers, I've sometimes heard people call Massey Ferguson the 'cadillac' of tractors. But their prices and capabilities don't seem to be any different from Kubota, Deere, and NH.

Any general thoughts on how Massey stacks up against the others?

Where are they made?

Here's a nice looking one for sale-

Massey Ferguson 30 horse power 4x4 Tractor-Excellent!!!

JG

/ Compare Massey F. against 'big three' #2  
In researching the different manufacturers, I've sometimes heard people call Massey Ferguson the 'cadillac' of tractors. But their prices and capabilities don't seem to be any different from Kubota, Deere, and NH.

Any general thoughts on how Massey stacks up against the others?

Where are they made?

Here's a nice looking one for sale-

Massey Ferguson 30 horse power 4x4 Tractor-Excellent!!!

JG

Big 3?? Kubota is the smallest of the ones you have listed, AG stuff is limited.

The MF compacts are built by Iseki, of Japan. Same place the others are built. Parts, and support will not be a problem. Do you have an MF dealer near by??

/ Compare Massey F. against 'big three' #3  
I have a MF 375 bought new in 1986 and it has been nothing but trouble. The dash has gone out three times and now we just guess at RPM, fuel etc. We have had the lights "fixed" several times and gave up. The 3-point hitch doesn't work worth a darned; draft control is hit or miss. We are on our third fuel pump now and the power steering has gone out several times. Other than that, it runs great; well actually it's not running now, but if it was; oh buddy...

The Highway Department tried MF a couple of years ago, but went back to John Deere. I don't know why, just may be the bidding process.

I have no experience with or knowledge of the smaller MF machinery.

We may just have a lemon as every manufacturer turns them out once in a while, but it has soured me on the brand.

/ Compare Massey F. against 'big three' #4  
I have a MF 1433. Bought it new about 8 years ago after comparing prices and features with Kubota, New Holland and Deere. I can only speak from my experience, but it has been trouble free the whole time I've had it. I have about 900 hours on it I've used it for logging, landscaping, snowblowing and whatever else called for some diesel muscle in the mountains of Northern Vermont. It's never let me down but it's definitely no cadllac! I got in laws who farm in the Shanendoah Valley Virginia that swear by Kubota and Ford. So I wouldn't give too much weight to brand name.

Like anything else, there's always the chance of picking up a lemon regardless of brand.

My advice would be to go look at the Massey and drive it. Make up your mind then.

/ Compare Massey F. against 'big three' #5  
I have no experience with the newer Massey Ferguson's but from what I have read on this forum they seem to be as well thought of as the "The Big Three". I agree with wayne48 about test driving them. There is a difference in the feel and controls and you will know exactly what you want after you test drive them. At least I did.

/ Compare Massey F. against 'big three' #6  
I never owned MF but on couple of occasions test drove MF 1500 series. I think it was a Power shuttle 1533 with fully synchronized gear tranny. That thing was a pleasure to drive and the power shuttle was so smooth for direction change. I have to verify but I thought the main clutch was also hydraulically activated wet clutch pack. The fit and finish was great and mostly sheet metal that I liked and a simple and efficient set of analog gauges. The utility class MF is re badged Japanese Iseki. The only bad part of it was that the were really proud of them ..High $$$$.

JC,

/ Compare Massey F. against 'big three' #7  
Try them all, make the comparisions carefully and pick the one you like the best. Then pick a size a little bigger.

/ Compare Massey F. against 'big three' #8  
I love mine 09 1533.

/ Compare Massey F. against 'big three' #10  
Love our '10 1635.

I've been looking at the 1635 too. The only reservation I have so far is that it looks like there is limited access to the engine, because of the way the hood tilts up. Have you found it easy enough to access the engine for maintenance (not that you'd need to do much on a brand new machine)?