Comparing Mahindra 7520, Kubot M7040, Kioti DK65S

/ Comparing Mahindra 7520, Kubot M7040, Kioti DK65S #11  
I've driven the M7040 and DK65 (but not a Mahindra). Both are quite nice. The DK feels a bit more solid to me but the M7040 has all the bells and whistles at a good price. I think you would find you really liked the hydraulic shuttle once you got used to it. I also felt the shuttle lever position on the Kioti was a bit awkward, though that was about the only downside in my view. As noted, it is easy to add weight to the Kubota, and impossible to remove weight from the Mahindra. I would focus on which dealer is the best.

/ Comparing Mahindra 7520, Kubot M7040, Kioti DK65S #12  
XXXman,
Did you check out the Farmtracs at the Kioti/Farmtrac dealer? I got a 75hp with the Uk Perkins engine. Shares the same 12x12 tranny as the Mahindra. Two sets of remotes standard as well as ome other features standard.

Good luck, KB

/ Comparing Mahindra 7520, Kubot M7040, Kioti DK65S
I did look at Farmtracs. My local Farmtrac dealer has a 2006 785DTC that has been setting on his lot for a year now. His paying interest on it now, so he said he would make me a good deal. It has a loader. He said his invoice is $35,687 and he would like to make $1k, so he would sell it for $36,657. That's more $$$ and probably more tractor then I need. But it's an impressive looking tractor. I didn't drive it. I realize this is a bigger tractor then the others I've mentioned and in a whole different class.

As for as the 6 series farmtracs, I've been looking at them for years, as they haven't changed in years. They seem to be solid "good value" machines. I thought I might get something "better" with the newer updated machines, but I'll no doubt pay for that newer technology. I better go drive one before I rule them out, as I haven't drove one. I'm all for spending less $$$, but I'm trying to not let $$$ be the deciding factor, unless everything else is equal.

I've been through several tractors and I'm really tired of buying, selling and loosing money on them. I want to get the right one and keep it.

If it helps with what didn't work, here's my tractor history:
1. Rhino 45 hp chinese tractor. Good 1st tractor for the money. No loader. Crude old school controls and gears. Had several problems that would be bad for the normal person, but I'm a mechanic "kind of".
2. Montana 4540. EXCELLENT COMPACT tractor. It had incredable power for it's size. The FEL was a little weak for a few things, like 5x6 round bales and the operator station is way to small for anyone over 6' tall (I'm 6.4"). Sold it to to a friend and I think it will work perfect for him and his place.
3. Massey 261 NO Loader. Seems to be a good farm tractor. Crude and old school. Has a perkins engine with nice power. Hydraulics not so good, but OK for 3 point use. Still have it, but will probably sell it if I get a new tractor.
4. New Holland LX865 skid steer, bought used. I got it at the same time as the 261. I got it to handle FEL work. It's incredible, but tears the ground up everywhere it goes. It's also slow getting from point A to point B, not very good top speed. I recently sold it. Hence the reason I'm tractor shopping, I have no loader now.

/ Comparing Mahindra 7520, Kubot M7040, Kioti DK65S #14  
If you are happy with the specs on these tractors, then set in the seat of each one and figure out which one is the most comfortable for you. Only you can figure that out and you are the one that will be in the seat for hours. Check out all the controls and positioning. I have heard to many times that an operator will make the comment about he wasn't sure what worked harder, him or the tractor.:rolleyes:

A lot of people here talk about dealer, dealer, dealer. What good is it to have a great dealer when you have a tractor that isn't right for you? I agree that a good dealer is very nice to have, and there are TBNers that have great difficulties because they do not have good dealers, but I would not buy a tractor just to get a good dealer. You spend to many hours in the seat to have a machine that doesn't suit you well.

Each of us have our own ideas about tractor buying and owning and what we can live with, these are just a few of mine. I'm sure others will vary.;)

I'm trying to eliminate one of the 3, so I can focus on 2. Man who knew this would be so hard.

As far as apples to apples comparison of specs, the Kubota M6040 and Mahindra 6520 would be a better comparison to the DK65S. At least the horsepower would be close to the same. Regardless I would go with the 7520 or M7040 as they are only $1k to $2k more.

Kubota's wet clutch setup really makes it hard to eliminate. It has several other good merits, but that is a feature the others don't have and can't be added. I don't understand the wet clutch setup that well, but I've heard nothing but positive things about it and they say it will last 4 times as long as a standard clutch. Any thoughts on Kubota's Hydro shuttle "wet clutch" setup?

Here's some FACTS on them:

Kubota M7040
* Only tractor in group to offer Hydro Shuttle "Wet Clutches"
* Lightest Tractor in the bunch at only 4,608lbs (tractor only)
* Lowest Loader capacity in the bunch
* Fastest Loader cycle times in the bunch
* Comes standard with Skid Steer compatible quick disconnects.
* Only has 1 remote standard
* Limited slip front diff and lockable rear

Kioti DK65S
* Has 2 remotes standard
* Cost $500 extra for skid steer quick disconnects on the Bush Hog loader
* Has selectible 540/1000 PTO from operator station.
* Only 847 pounds lighter then the Mahindra. 1895 pounds heavier then the Kubota.
* Front and Rear Diff locks

Mahindra 7520
* Heaviest tractor in the bunch. 2,742 pounds heavier then the Kubota!
* Biggest Hydraulic pump capacity at 17gpm (others 11)
* Cost $450 extra for Skid Steer quick disconnects on loader.
* Has 2 remotes standard

I guess I'll need to go drive them all again, because I'm having a hard time just eliminating one. Any other input would be appreciated!

/ Comparing Mahindra 7520, Kubot M7040, Kioti DK65S #16  
XXXSandman....if you don't need the tractor "this instant" and want another option, let that Farmtrac set for a couple more months as the dealer will be paying for it by then....I'm sure you'll see that he doesn't really need to make $1K on it....as a matter of fact, bet you could get it right now for about $2K less than his "invoice"....let it set for a month...if its still there, talk to him...BobG in VA who go a really good deal on his 6000 Mahindra after it sat on the dealers lot for over 1 year....

/ Comparing Mahindra 7520, Kubot M7040, Kioti DK65S #17  
You can't beat the wet clutches, but with that said, I'm not sure that they are needed.:confused: A dry clutch can last a long time. The Kubota has faster loader times, but again is that needed or even wanted? My 7520 is plenty fast for me, not sure if I would want a loader much faster. Part of that may be technique though. You mentioned weight as a double edge sword. With a tractor of this size, what is the down side of weight for your application? I know for me, mine still is not heavy enough and it's over 12,000lbs as I work it, but then that is me in my conditions. I don't know how Mahindra lists their front axle, all I know is that mine always spins both front tires.:)

As far as options. get the following, you won't be sorry in the long run.

Skid steer quick attach

3 rear remotes

a canopy (dealer item)

Top"n"Tilt if you are going to to any grading (dealer item)

Kubota has a hydraulic self leveling loader option that can be turned on & off as I understand. That would be very nice. Mine is on all the time and as I understand it, is no longer available.:(

If you might get a grapple, think about the control for it. Yes it can be added later, but it is easier at tractor ordering time.

I'm probably forgetting something,:eek: but these are all more things to think about. I looked for a tractor for a bit more than two years, it is not an easy decision to make, especially, when it is the first one of this size. I wish that I had found TBN sooner, it would have made my search faster and easier.

I need to go out and get some work done, talk later.:)

/ Comparing Mahindra 7520, Kubot M7040, Kioti DK65S #18  
A beginners response:
I have a M6040 loaded R4s and keep an Armstrong HBB7' boxblade (820lbs.) on the back. The stability if wonderful. Several times I have gotten a bucket of dirt and improved traction while blading a new road in clay. The Woods 840 shreader has been flawless and again is very stable on lake dams with steep inclines. The 4WD and 8 speed has fulfilled my needs so far. I only have 41 hrs. on it so speak with little authority. I am not a turbo fan. I drove everything sold (literally) and my choice came down to a Montana 5740 (200 cu in. natural) and the K dealer offered to bring one in for a test and comparison. The decision was easy. The front bucket is an ATI 4in1 and weighs 4-500lbs. more than the standard loader. It too has proven "worth" the extra $s. The Mahindra 7510c seemed hard to turn and too bulky to me. The Kioti dealer near me has NO service dept.
Good luck
al
edit When I started shopping I thought the NH tc55 was for me. Very happy with Orange. The 5 cyl. Green equivalent was...I won't go there.

Last edited:
   / Comparing Mahindra 7520, Kubot M7040, Kioti DK65S #19  
XXXSandman,

Is the loader on the Bota with a 7' bucket?

Unless things have changed since I bought mine (02), the Kioti loader is very nice with the self leveling.

The lever on the rear of the Kioti for raising and lower the hydraulics is very very nice!!! No more going around the tire to raise/lower the arms.

I'm waiting to see if Kioti comes out with a DK65 Cab Hydro,,,, and then maybe I will talk to my dealer. :)

Are you sure about the pump capacity on the Mahindra? Is that with steering included?

Last edited:
RedDog said:
XXXSandman,
Is the loader on the Bota with a 7' bucket?
Unless things have changed since I bought mine (02), the Kioti loader is very nice with the self leveling.
The lever on the rear of the Kioti for raising and lower the hydraulics is very very nice!!! No more going around the tire to raise/lower the arms.
I'm waiting to see if Kioti comes out with a DK65 Cab Hydro,,,, and then maybe I will talk to my dealer. :)
Are you sure about the pump capacity on the Mahindra? Is that with steering included?

I believe they all had 72" buckets, but I'm not 100% sure.

Yes, I remember seeing the lever on the Kioti and thought that would be handy.

The 17gpm pump output is out of the published specs from Mahindra. The steering pump is 5.2gpm. I read a debate about this over in the Mahindra forum. It seems some didn't believe it was that much, mainly due to the slower loader speed. I think they finally decided it was indeed close to that, but I'm not sure.