Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar?

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #21  
SuperDuper makes some good points about hydraulic capacities. Just be realistic on what you're going to need (at least try)
My heaviest implement is a 620 pound cutter, so I've got a 200 pound margin to work with. The ballast box (sand filled) has never been weighed, but also goes 600 lbs ± 50 lbs (there was 6 (100 lb) bags dumped in it).
If you bought a chipper of 5 or 6 inch capacity, you would be pushing the limits of the 790's 3PH capacity (figuring 800 lbs).
Loader capacity is a good point...but you can add a grapple (good thread on this in the Attachments forum now.

So, as long as you know what you want to do with the machine, you'll make a good choice. It really depends on how much you want to spend (but the power-reverser tranny on the 3320 is mighty tempting!) on the tractor and implements.

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #22  
Another thing to think about is about how long do you intend to keep the tractor and will you be putting a bunch of hours on it. What I'm referring to are creature comforts. Make sure you sit on/mess with/drive all three. With the 790, the left and right foot platform is positioned on each side of the transmission, the 3203 is flatter, but still split. On the 3X20 it's even flatter with no split. And with the seat, the 3203 is an improvement on the 790 and the 3X20 is an improvement on the 3203. Working with rough ground, creature comforts as well as extra wheelbase and weight help make a difference. You also might want to take a look at the 3120. eHydro comes standard on the 3120 and it's 3 HP/$1,000 less than a similarly equipped 3320.

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #23  
Clarification on the definition of an independent PTO. On an independent power take off, the PTO is not tied to the transmission or clutch. It has nothing to do with using the PTO from a stationary position.

If a PTO was not independent, the PTO would stop every time you pushed in the clutch. Old time farm tractors were like that. If you were running a mower or other type of equipment, the mower would shut down every time you pushed in the clutch to shift from forward or reverse (or any gear). The independent PTO is much better because the PTO shaft maintains constant (engine) speed no matter what when shifting.

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #24  
Kahuna said:
Clarification on the definition of an independent PTO. On an independent power take off, the PTO is not tied to the transmission or clutch. It has nothing to do with using the PTO from a stationary position.

If a PTO was not independent, the PTO would stop every time you pushed in the clutch. Old time farm tractors were like that. If you were running a mower or other type of equipment, the mower would shut down every time you pushed in the clutch to shift from forward or reverse (or any gear). The independent PTO is much better because the PTO shaft maintains constant (engine) speed no matter what when shifting.

The new ones use a dual stage clutch (for the most part...single stage clutches still come with some tractors).
Pushing the pedal ½ down allows shifting, all the way disengages the PTO.

There is a bit of a learning curve using a dual stage clutch, but it comes pretty quickly.

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #25  
dieselalles said:
Another thing to think about is about how long do you intend to keep the tractor and will you be putting a bunch of hours on it. What I'm referring to are creature comforts. Make sure you sit on/mess with/drive all three. With the 790, the left and right foot platform is positioned on each side of the transmission, the 3203 is flatter, but still split. On the 3X20 it's even flatter with no split. And with the seat, the 3203 is an improvement on the 790 and the 3X20 is an improvement on the 3203.

It's funny, and definitely a matter of opinion, but I didn't care much for the 3320 seat. I actually think my 790 is more comfortable.
I do agree with you about the flatter work station! Since my right leg is gimpy, dragging it over the 790's transmission tunnel is a PITA, especially if I'm tired.

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #26  
I understand and that's why it's important to try all these tractors on before making a decsision.

I plan on keeping my 3320 for a long time, and part of my decision was coming to terms with whether I'd be happy with my purchase ten, fifteen years down the road.

And the split platform was a big issue for me. I recall in my youth, I spent a lot of hours on tractors with split platforms, and took some nasty slips & falls when I was either

a. tired
b. in a hurry
c. had too many layers of clothes on hampering mobility ...or...
d. a combination of the above.

Most memorable is jumping on the tractor in wet or icy conditions only to have my pants leg catch a shift lever poking up, misjudging where my foot is in the dark getting on or getting on when the soles of my boots were caked with mud, manure or snow resulting in some nasty falls. That'll wake you up at 5:00 in the morning! :eek:

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #27  
dieselalles,
I too live in the Nashville area, Fairview specifically. In your opinon, which dealer is the best in the area? I've been to the Deere dealers in Columbia and Dickson, and bought a used 455 from the one in Columbia, because that's the only place locally that had one. They treated me well. The guys in Dickson seem OK, but don't seem real anxious to sell me a tractor, which makes me wonder about the service. I've got to go back to Dickson to get some parts for the 455, so maybe I can get a sales guy to talk to me next time.

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #28  
RoyJackson said:
It's funny, and definitely a matter of opinion, but I didn't care much for the 3320 seat. I actually think my 790 is more comfortable.
I do agree with you about the flatter work station! Since my right leg is gimpy, dragging it over the 790's transmission tunnel is a PITA, especially if I'm tired.

I'm often catching my pants cuff on the shifter when in a hurry, but I tell myself,I need to slow down anyway. Of course I want bigger, heavier, newer, more powerful etc. but I have no debt and want none. Money, to me is a huge factor, I want my savings and IRA's to be there when I stop doing the 45-50 hour a week grind.

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #29  
irwin said:
I'm often catching my pants cuff on the shifter when in a hurry, but I tell myself,I need to slow down anyway. Of course I want bigger, heavier, newer, more powerful etc. but I have no debt and want none. Money, to me is a huge factor, I want my savings and IRA's to be there when I stop doing the 45-50 hour a week grind.

Yep...and that's why I didn't buy that bigger, heavier, newerand more powerful 3320 I looked at last year.

Anyway, a little pain builds character, don't you think?

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #30  
RoyJackson said:
Yep...and that's why I didn't buy that bigger, heavier, newerand more powerful 3320 I looked at last year.

Anyway, a little pain builds character, don't you think?

Oh yes soon I'll be 185lbs of only character, and a contented smile on my face.:D instead of the stressed grimace..|:>..