Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar?

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #31  
mike223 said:
dieselalles,
I too live in the Nashville area, Fairview specifically. In your opinon, which dealer is the best in the area? I've been to the Deere dealers in Columbia and Dickson, and bought a used 455 from the one in Columbia, because that's the only place locally that had one. They treated me well. The guys in Dickson seem OK, but don't seem real anxious to sell me a tractor, which makes me wonder about the service. I've got to go back to Dickson to get some parts for the 455, so maybe I can get a sales guy to talk to me next time.

Sorry, but I don't have a lot of experience with dealers in Middle Tennessee like I do in West Tennessee where I'm from. TriGreen pretty much has everything locked up around Nashville as far as John Deere goes. The independents are still out there in the smaller towns outside of Nashville but they are withering away like the family farms, getting swallowed up by corporations. What you can do is get on the Deere web site and see which ones are TriGreen and which ones aren't. Not saying that there aren't good TriGreen dealerships, but I've always dealt with the smaller independents in the past and had better luck. Let me know if you run into one you like and I'll do the same.

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #32  
RoyJackson said:
Yep...and that's why I didn't buy that bigger, heavier, newerand more powerful 3320 I looked at last year.

Anyway, a little pain builds character, don't you think?

It does....to a degree. ;) Pain also makes you think twice the next time you get in a similar predicament. For example, it didn't take me long to learn to keep my thumbs out of the inside of the steering wheel of an old John Deere with no power steering. Hitting a hole or a bale of hay or something like a stump was a painful experience not to soon be forgotten!

Originally I anticipated buying a 790, but wanted the 990 because it better met my needs, but settled on a new 2006 JD 3320 that I got at a great price.

I grew up on no-frills tractors with metal hoods, no cabs and manual trannies. The 790 and 990 both were something I could have easily lived with. It was a tough choice. I figured I would be glad in 10 or 15 years that I got a tractor that was a little more comfortable (as I get up in years) and with more capability even at the cost of a few ponies. The 990 with loader was roughly $20K and I got the 3320 combo for $3K less.

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #33  
dieselalles,
I bought my 455 from the Trigreen JD dealer in Columbia, and they were real nice. Steve Scroggins was the guy with whom I dealt, and he was very accomodating. The guys in Dickson are nice enough, but trying to get them to give you info is tough, cause there never seems to be anybody around. They don't have much stock either, so trying to drive something that you want to try out is tough. BTW, gamble77 told me that you bought your tractor from him. If you don't mind, PM me with any details that you want to impart, as I'm willing to travel if the incentive is there. Thanks.

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #34  
RoyJackson said:
The new ones use a dual stage clutch (for the most part...single stage clutches still come with some tractors).
Pushing the pedal ½ down allows shifting, all the way disengages the PTO...

A dual stage clutch is not really the same as independent pto and is not only on newer machines. Dual stage clutches such as you describe have been available on tractors for the last 50+ years and are usually referred to as "live" pto.

A true independent pto has its own separate clutch that is either mechanically or hydraulically actuated.

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #35  
Harold_J said:
A dual stage clutch is not really the same as independent pto and is not only on newer machines. Dual stage clutches such as you describe have been available on tractors for the last 50+ years and are usually referred to as "live" pto.

A true independent pto has its own separate clutch that is either mechanically or hydraulically actuated.

Thanks, Harold...I was quite aware of the PTO types and length of time the dual stage clutches have been out..I do appreciate your post though!

When I wrote "newer", I'm refering to tractors from the 40's and 50's...there's a few folks on TBN still run that old iron. Still quite a few around my neck of the woods too!

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #36  
Hi fellas;Isn't the jd790 the same or about the same as the yanmar 2500? The reason I asked is before I bought my 2500, I saw a gentleman on a 790 and stopped and talked with him some. Seeing as how I would only use a tractor maybe 50 hours a year I weighed the differences. 1. Cost 790-$15,000, 2500-$4800. 2. Basically the same engine & hp. 3. 790 U.S. made parts more plentiful, 2500-grey market tractor parts not quite as easily to get but can be got mostly. Results I bought the yanmar 2500 and all the attachments I would need and still spent half what I would have spent. The only big downside is 790-new,2500-30 years old. I guess we all have trade-offs.I am sure you are happy with the new 790, I just settled for a cheaper happy.

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #37  
gary pate said:
Hi fellas;Isn't the jd790 the same or about the same as the yanmar 2500? The reason I asked is before I bought my 2500, I saw a gentleman on a 790 and stopped and talked with him some. Seeing as how I would only use a tractor maybe 50 hours a year I weighed the differences. 1. Cost 790-$15,000, 2500-$4800. 2. Basically the same engine & hp. 3. 790 U.S. made parts more plentiful, 2500-grey market tractor parts not quite as easily to get but can be got mostly. Results I bought the yanmar 2500 and all the attachments I would need and still spent half what I would have spent. The only big downside is 790-new,2500-30 years old. I guess we all have trade-offs.I am sure you are happy with the new 790, I just settled for a cheaper happy.

I doubt it's the same engine since the 790's is a low emission type, but I wouldn't be too surprised if there are some shared components (block, maybe some internals).

Grey market tractors have no support from a dealership at all. As long as one is comfortable with that and can do all their own work...well, so be it. After all, it's your money.

However, I don't think comparing a new tractor (with the safety features and newer hydraulics) to a 30 year old grey market unit dollar for dollar makes a heck of a lot of sense.

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #38  
dieselalles said:
It does....to a degree. ;) Pain also makes you think twice the next time you get in a similar predicament. For example, it didn't take me long to learn to keep my thumbs out of the inside of the steering wheel of an old John Deere with no power steering. Hitting a hole or a bale of hay or something like a stump was a painful experience not to soon be forgotten!

Originally I anticipated buying a 790, but wanted the 990 because it better met my needs, but settled on a new 2006 JD 3320 that I got at a great price.

I grew up on no-frills tractors with metal hoods, no cabs and manual trannies. The 790 and 990 both were something I could have easily lived with. It was a tough choice. I figured I would be glad in 10 or 15 years that I got a tractor that was a little more comfortable (as I get up in years) and with more capability even at the cost of a few ponies. The 990 with loader was roughly $20K and I got the 3320 combo for $3K less.

I am in lexington TN and bought from Vincent Implement in Paris. I would rate them as solid and would recommend them. But I actually prefer TN tractor in Jackson. These were the two I narrowed down to before buying, actually preferred TN tractor in Jackson but got a substantially better price from Vincents. TN Tractor called me to match the price too late. I had already committed to Vincents.

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #39  
I just got rid of a Yanmar 1610D and bought a 790 and agree that it isn't really a fair comparison. My Yanmar had lots of problems and I got tired for being a diesel mechanic, but ignoring that the 790 cost almost exactly twice as much but for that -- it is new with a warantee, heavier, wider, and has more ground clearance, HP, all safety things, zero interest loan, power steering, FWD and diff lock shift on the go, regen hydraulics, step to platform, roomier platform & better controls, key shutoff, auto prime, user manual, live PTO, bigger/wider tires, local dealer, resell value, much better loader with better attachments, better hydraulics, etc. And the 790 is a Yanmar too.

/ Confused..3203 vs 3320 vs 790 why similar? #40  
I am in a little different position than most of you. I bought 35 acres last year that we hope to move to soon(when current home sells). I live on 2.5 acres now but went ahead and bought a 3520 last year, fully aware that it was overkill for my current situation. I just wanted to end up with a little overkill when we get moved. We are going to have ~10 acres of pasture for a couple of horses, a 3-4 acre lake and have to improve the land, as it is all timber. I do a little work on the side and still have only 93 hrs or so in 12 months.

Other than a fuel gauge issue and some whining from my 3 point that I have yet to fix I have had zero problems and am thoroughly impressed with the 3520. Have done a lot of tilling, mowing and loader work with no complaints from the eHydro. I have found that the standard R4s lose traction long before the hydro reaches any inherent limitations. I was leery of a hydro on a sure enough tractor, but now am happy I chose it.