Constantly flat front tire.

/ Constantly flat front tire. #21  
EddieWalker,

On the subject of patching a tire with slime in it. They can so it, but they don't like to clean out the Slime mess. It is a messy job. On any tire repair, they grind down the rubber to provide grip on the patch. If plugging, they ream out the hole real good. You might expect them to charge more if loaded with slime, or any other fluid.

/ Constantly flat front tire.
Here's a dumb question for you guys: When I look at tractor tires some specify tubes and some tubeless. Mine are Goodyear Dyna Torque 8-16s and they say 'tubeless' on them. I'm assuming you can still put tubes in them, but why the specification? I guess maybe you can't run a tire specified as 'tube' as a tubeless?

/ Constantly flat front tire. #23  
I had asked about foaming the front tires of the CUT. They said it would be about $300 to do them and that when I wore out the tread on the tire, it was easy to scrape the rim to mount a new tire. I didn't ask if I had to foam the replacement tire or not. Eddie

I would just have the tires recapped. That way you could save the foam.

/ Constantly flat front tire. #26  
Bead sealer comes in a can like pvc cement. has a little puffball brush on the end..it's more or less kinda like a rubber cement.. black in color.. fills in small voids.. etc. If your rim isn't bent, I'd sand the bead and repaint with epoxy paint.. let cure, and then remount tire with bead sealer.. then perhaps slime the tire... that OR go tubes.

I myself prefer tubes... if you have lots of thorn issues.. try a boot.. or stick with tubless with sealer plus slime.

soundguy

I have a front tire that is constantly going flat. Its a tubeless ag tire (4wd). It has many tiny leaks around the bead. I think the problem is my fault. Several times I have neglected to notice that the air pressure was low and have driven the tire off the rim, filling the rim with dirt etc. To fix that I have removed the tire myself to clean out the dirt and stuff. I've used the wrong tools (crow bar, cat's claw, screwdrivers,etc) to remove and remount the tire, plus I've had it done at a tire place several times. I think I have damaged the bead and that's why it continues to leak.

I'm tired of it being flat every weekend so I'm looking at my options:

1) Bead sealer. Don't know what it is. Never used it before. Don't know if it will help with a damaged bead.

2) Getting tubes put in. This would solve the leaking bead problem. But I'm worried about punctures. I've got honey locust trees like weeds around here. Always finding them stuck in my tires, but they've never caused a flat so far.

3) Foam. I don't know much about this. Have several concerns. Expense is one of them. Also, does the foam ruin the tire and rim if you ever want to do anything else? I'm also concerned about sidewall flex. Under heavy bucket loads these R4's have fairly weak sidewalls and tend to flex too much unless air pressure is just right. Will the foam make this worse? Better? Finally, but least of my worries, how about ride quality? Too bumpy?

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

I've been doing a little reading about foam and for my purposes I've definitely decided against it. The main worry that I have is that my manual very specifically says not to load the fronts. It does not say why (I hate that) but I'm assuming the extra weight stresses drivetrain and steering components. That coupled with a harder, less compliant tire and I'd be afraid I would put too much stress on the front end. If my tractor was 2wd, heavier duty, or allowed loaded fronts I'd seriously look into foam. But as it is, I'm going to drop them off at the tire place for tubes tomorrow. Thanks for all the excellent advice.

I also realize that getting tubes won't mean I've had my last flat, so I think I'm going to buy some proper tire tools and tube repair stuff. I already have a compressor on site, its just getting the tires off the rims where I have a hard time. I just use a ratchet strap when getting the beads to reseal. My neighbor down the road has large tire tools for doing the rears, but oddly, I'm going on 4 years of use I haven't had a flat in the rears.

/ Constantly flat front tire. #28  
So far with the Mesquite thorns we've go slime has work real well. A neighbor has a tire that was constantly leaking down for whatever reason (we never found the hole). Loaded tire with slime and after several months of not using his tractor the tire is still holding air. There may be better products out there but slime is cheap, easy to use, non-toxic and water soluable. Works for me:)

Good luck.

/ Constantly flat front tire. #29  
I've been doing a little reading about foam and for my purposes I've definitely decided against it. The main worry that I have is that my manual very specifically says not to load the fronts. It does not say why (I hate that) but I'm assuming the extra weight stresses drivetrain and steering components. That coupled with a harder, less compliant tire and I'd be afraid I would put too much stress on the front end. If my tractor was 2wd, heavier duty, or allowed loaded fronts I'd seriously look into foam. But as it is, I'm going to drop them off at the tire place for tubes tomorrow. Thanks for all the excellent advice.

I also realize that getting tubes won't mean I've had my last flat, so I think I'm going to buy some proper tire tools and tube repair stuff. I already have a compressor on site, its just getting the tires off the rims where I have a hard time. I just use a ratchet strap when getting the beads to reseal. My neighbor down the road has large tire tools for doing the rears, but oddly, I'm going on 4 years of use I haven't had a flat in the rears.

My knowledge of foam is limited but IIRC you can get varying densities of foam. Some of which would provide a similiar ride as air and is fairly light weight.

/ Constantly flat front tire. #30  
George,

I think I would try what JJ and SoundGuy suggest. First, very lightly sanding the tire bead with a fine sandpaper just enough to renew the rubber surface and then using the bead sealer. I have seen the bead sealer used before and it does a good job.

I would try the cheapest, simplest route first. And please let us know what you do and how it works out...since it may happen to one of us later on.