Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #41  
I've used grapples and liked them. Nonetheless, we'll get a clam shell for moving wood debris and hole logs off our trails. I find that when people purchase tool XYZ, they'll support that decision, no matter what. If the same person buys tool ABC which costs more and can do more, they still find mores uses than they originally thought they could do with it. A 4 in one bucket can't do it all, but it will help us with clearing wood debris and reduce our man hours.

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #42  
Good-grief. Did you do a spell check aslo, I'm really not getting your point, on my tractor I would put a thumb so to keep weight down, if I had a bigger tractor I would put grapple on, then if I wanted and or needed to scoop up dirt like how the 4--1 bucket does, I would temporarily bolt on a steel plate, on my tractor the thumb would be bolted/pinned for removal when not needed.
I would only have a 4--1 bucket on a construction site or at the farm to pick up farm stuff and then I would have on a quick detach loader. I cant wait for you nit-pick this apart.......

Sorry. I guess if you only saw one advantage to a 4n1 you probably wouldn't use it much anyway.

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #43  
I've used grapples and liked them. Nonetheless, we'll get a clam shell for moving wood debris and hole logs off our trails. I find that when people purchase tool XYZ, they'll support that decision, no matter what. If the same person buys tool ABC which costs more and can do more, they still find mores uses than they originally thought they could do with it. A 4 in one bucket can't do it all, but it will help us with clearing wood debris and reduce our man hours.

I think you'll find it has many, many uses. A good investment.

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #44  
It is kinda like the arguments that follow "if you could only have one gun". Fortunately I can have many different kinds of guns to do many different tasks. Just like the 4 in 1 or multi tool argument. If I could only have one implement, it would probably be a 4 in 1 bucket. By the way if I could only have one gun, it might be a 12 gauge pump gun. Mainly because you can use if for so many different purposes depending on how it is loaded. Not that it is the best gun for all purposes. They really suck for 400 yard antelope hunting!. :laughing:

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #45  
It is kinda like the arguments that follow "if you could only have one gun". Fortunately I can have many different kinds of guns to do many different tasks. Just like the 4 in 1 or multi tool argument. If I could only have one implement, it would probably be a 4 in 1 bucket. By the way if I could only have one gun, it might be a 12 gauge pump gun. Mainly because you can use if for so many different purposes depending on how it is loaded. Not that it is the best gun for all purposes. They really suck for 400 yard antelope hunting!. :laughing:

I agree. Although my dead killed a lot of Deer with his Winchester pump 12 gauge long barrel full choke shotgun shooting slugs. :D

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #46  
I have a 4in1 on the project list, now that I have a BH mounted regularly I find I could use one more often.
I have a grapple and it's good if I'm going to be doing tree cleanup but the 4-1 will fill that spot for general work without having to take the bh off or switch loader attachments regularly.

I think the cost of buying vs. building is a curve, the larger/heavier they are, the better off you are to buy, for smaller cut's I feel building can be cost effective.

There are more options for smaller tractors now with 48" and 54" lighter weight versions available which might make buying a little easier.

As for the original question, I think you'd be better off building from scratch then cutting up a bucket, unless you happen to have and extra one in good shape laying around. A sheet of 1/8 steel isn't too expensive.

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #47  
I read the whole thread,,, Hmmmm
I might have missed it,, but, I do not believe one of the best uses of a 4-in-1 bucket was mentioned.
When the bucket is positioned like this;

498055d1486572251-converting-fel-bucket-four-one-wrl-uj2-4n1-cmp-5t

the bucket functions almost identical to a landplane.

It may actually be better,, as the loader arms can add weight to the two cutting edges.

I have two relatives that own 953 CAT loaders, they both have 4-in-1 buckets.
The main reason they have that style bucket is for the landplane capability.

I was really amazed the first time I saw a 953 CAT landplane a field.
It was almost like the field had been disked and rolled after being just cleared of stumps.

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #48  
Good point. I've watched my friend do the same with his.

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #49  
Yeah, I forgot to mention with the two hydraulic cylinders and the extra steel in them they are quite heavy. I have always wondered why they are so popular on tractors in Australia, but not so much here in the US. You see them more on skid steers here than compact tractors for sure and I guess the weight penalty is one reason, but why do the Aussie's not seem to mind?

This was something that I didn't notice or think about before I bought my new Kioti CK35. It was sitting in the dealers yard with the 4 in 1 fitted, as was every other Kioti tractor - and also including some 80-100 HP models from other manufacturers. Every compact dealer around my area (Iseki, TYM and Mahindra) has 4 in 1s on the stock in their yards. So I suppose the question is - are they popular here because they are already installed by the dealers, or are they installed because they are popular? :confused:

I agree totally with the multitool comparison.

I don't know if the bucket is less usefull than a standard one (obviously never used one on this tractor) apart from the extra weight. But the grabbing function is nowhere near a proper grapple. It is fine for picking up individual logs, but grabbing into a pile of brush is very frustrating. You might manage to get a big mouthful of 3 or 4 branches, or you might just snap everything and get a couple of sticks.

However almost every time I get some seat time, it is handy to be able to carry out the different jobs the 4 in 1 can do. I'm sure its slower than it would be with a specifically designed tool, but when "seat time" is usually the same as "relaxation time" - what's the issue.:)

/ Converting FEL Bucket to Four in One #50  
4 in 1 are very popular in Australia for some reason. Many dealers sell tractors with them.
edit
Ops. Didn't read all the posts before posting.