Correct use of shuttle shifter

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #31  
If it's a column mounted hydraulic shuttle you have no clutch at all. Your 'inching is accomplished by the loose and not clamped hydraulic pack only. Kubota has not installed a dry clutch in the bell housing for years know, They understand the principle quite well and negate a dry clutch 100%. All that is inside the bell housing is a spring loaded damper plate (to keep any shock load off the crank flange) and the input shaft for the main box. The damper plate looks like a dry clutch plate but no drive plate at all.

No clutch disc, no pressure plate no intermediate shaft, no nothing but the gearbox seal and the crankshaft seal and no wobbling that comes with a worn friction disk and the resultant seal failures from excessive run out and vibration.
Excellent information, thanks very much. I thought I was directly engaging/disengaging clutch packs when I depress the clutch, but actually I'm simply activating or deactivating the hydraulic clutch controlled by the shuttle. That's cool. I knew that there weren't dry clutch discs inside the transmission but I figured it was like a wet clutch pack that are common on motorcycles. Either way, that "feathering" I'm doing with the clutch pedal is simply modulating the position of the proportionally reducing valve ... is that right?

m6060_clutch.jpg

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #32  
Kubota has not installed a dry clutch in the bell housing for years know, They understand the principle quite well and negate a dry clutch 100%.
Yes they do and always have had models with dry clutch
The L series DT use dry clutch

Also dry clutch in the grand L shuttle

Gee the MX series dry clutch

Last edited:
   / Correct use of shuttle shifter #33  
I see people saying they feel better using their brakes to slow to/almost a stop before using the hydraulic shuttle clutch setup to reverse direction. The idea comes from thinking the wet clutch is intricate and expensive to service, and the brakes, simple and inexpensive. I’ve had the same thought in my head, but with my tractor, the brakes are multi-plate wet brake disks buried in the bell housing area. Looks just as expensive to repair/replace, so I’m not sure in my case, using brakes instead of just the shuttle circuit is actually any future repair savings

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #34  
Yeah I defiantly don't bother hitting the brakes to change direction.

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #35  
I can change the brakes without removing the cabs, to access the shuttle clutch paks the cab comes off for transmission access.
The axles and housings come off for the brakes.

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #36  
I can change the brakes without removing the cabs, to access the shuttle clutch paks the cab comes off for transmission access.
The axles and housings come off for the brakes.
This thread was initiated concerning a M7040 which I also own that model with a cab. The hyd reverser clutch is located in the clutch housing in front of trans & can be repaired or replaced without R&R of the cab. I know for positive the manual reverser is located in clutch housing on an older M4900 could have reverser repaired with cab in place that I owned previous to the M7040.

Last edited:
   / Correct use of shuttle shifter #37  
L6060 with hydrostatic trans doesn't have a dry clutch it has a fixed drive plate.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-15 081642.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-15 081642.png
    266.1 KB · Views: 21
   / Correct use of shuttle shifter #39  
Thats the hydrostat .
We are talking about the gear models here
So you're referring to gear type trans BUT this thread was initiated concerning hydraulic operated reverser which doesn't have a dry clutch designed to be engaged/disengaged. One link you posted also pertained to tractors with hydrostatic trans.

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #40  
Thats the hydrostat .
We are talking about the gear models here
The point I'm trying to make is Kubota has manual and shuttle transmissions models with dry clutch and hydraulic shuttle with wet clutch just like most other manufacturers offer.
You want a wet clutch where you can forward/reverse without clutching generally you have to purchase a hydraulic shuttle, power reverser/ glide shift model or similar to get that feature