Correct use of shuttle shifter

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #41  
OK which model Kubota tractors with hyd shuttle have a dry traction clutch controlled by foot pedal? I know my M7040 with hyd shuttle has a damper plate that's bolt securely to flywheel & clutch foot pedal controls a hydraulic valve.

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #42  
OK which model Kubota tractors with hyd shuttle have a dry traction clutch controlled by foot pedal?
When did I say they had dry clutch's on hydraulic shuttle tractors??
Did you read 5030's quote ??
"Kubota has not installed a dry clutch in a bellhousing in years now, They understand the principle quite well now and negate a dry clutch 100%"
That is false, Kubota has many models that still have a dry clutch.

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #43  
Thats the hydrostat .
We are talking about the gear models here
No I didn't read 5030's reply! As I previously stated this THREAD originated concerning hyd shuttle not synchro-reverser or gear type trans or hydrostatic or glide-shift. Kubota tractors with hyd shuttle such as my M7040 have ""gear type trans with hi-lo gears"" just has hyd instead of manual reverser.

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #44  
as a footnote, the hyd shuttle on MXX40's are mechanically operated by a cable on the steering column. i have had to adjust a turnbuckle close to the lever for cable stretch. easy, but something to remember if it is not engaging fully in either direction.

i do wish K had provided some kind of lube access to that cable. mine started sticking (600 hrs) & i had to have it replaced for 1k. (have to drop fuel tank, etc. those days are over for me)

Last edited:
   / Correct use of shuttle shifter #45  
Have a 2013 M7040SUHD with shuttle shift lever on steering column. I clutch every time I move lever between forward and reverse. Working with friend today operating a compact tractor with forward and reverse pedals no clutch action applied when stepping on forward and reverse pedals. OM for my tractor doesn’t address the question. Have I been stomping a redundant extra step every time I go between forward and reverse for ten years or properly operating the shuttle shift?

I have an M7040SUHD. I do a lot of loader work and the shuttle is also very handy with field work.

Clutch pedal 100% optional to move the shuttle lever, either F to R or stopping in N.

You can also put it in gear from neutral from a dead stop, or pull it into neutral when dumping bucket into wagon or spreader etc.

I will pull hydraulic shuttle in neutral using round baler, tie and eject bale, then shift into forward again. No clutch pedal needed.

I always let the RPMS drop before shifting, but it will cope with RPMS being set higher on hand throttle. Also let tractor slow to near stop before shifting direction.

You can also shift gears by pulling shuttle into N, changing speed or range lever, then shifting back into F or R.

I do a lot of road travel so I do use foot pedal for gearing up and down on the road since it keeps my hands on wheel and gear shift, left leg not busy otherwise.

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #46  
good post, sounds like my use is similar

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #47  
I'll stand corrected then. Mine don't however. If they did, I would have never purchased them

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #48  
I have an LS MT573 with the shuttle lever on the column and I will have to double check the manual again, but I swear I read in it and there is a rocker switch on my console with a sort of clock emblem on it, but I can adjust the timing for when the trans engages when using the shuttle shift lever.

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #49  
I have an LS MT573 with the shuttle lever on the column and I will have to double check the manual again, but I swear I read in it and there is a rocker switch on my console with a sort of clock emblem on it, but I can adjust the timing for when the trans engages when using the shuttle shift lever.
call service dept of your dealer

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter
My 2009 Kubota M6040 is hydraulic shuttle shift. The OP manual covers - M5040, M6040 & M7040. This is the pages for gear ops - directly out of my OP manual. Read and interpret for yourself. Specific page for both Synchro & Hydro shuttle. Hope this helps Steve.View attachment 851958
View attachment 851957
Thanks for taking time to copy OP manual pages. My full tractor model is M7040SUHD.SU = “standard utility” base model 7040 with no frills however HD = “hydraulic shuttle” the option I most wanted along w/4wd when purchasing a tractor to replace my old Allis Chalmers. I brush hog steep hillsides in WV safe operation is turtle speed up and down slope with tractor in reverse on up hill run. At top of hill quick transition to fwd is critical to prevent free wheeling down slope. Eliminating clutch action will make for safer operation.