Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!!

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #21  
Last time I did a class a chimney Lowes had the best prices. Time before that Ace hardware had the better price.

I had pretty much the same experience. My local Ace store beat everyone local and online. The owner helped me sort through all the selections and actively knocked his prices down off sticker to help me out. One of the reasons I enjoy living in a small town.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #22  
In the '70s when I installed my first woodstove the price of insulated stainless was very reasonable. Don't remember the price but it didn't cause me any shock. About 10 years ago I need to buy more and was SHOCKED. (but I don't remember that price either). I would hate to need more today. Wood heating is not as prevalent today as it was in the '70s. That, and environmental concerns, have probably driven up the cost to us.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #23  
I'm willing to bet a ice cold barley pop that a lot of the price rise is due to insurance/lawyer costs ..... There are a lot of yahoos that probably do not install the chimneys correctly, don't burn properly seasoned wood, burn house trash, and never clean them. Then want to be compensated when the place goes up in smoke... I use the triple wall stainless, and buy it locally. Does not take much deformation to keep the pipes from not hooking together properly. I buy the other parts and heavy black pipe online.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #24  
Everything is a rip off today. now companies have 39 bosses and 5 workers. Products are buying built cheaper and last a fraction of what they used too. A while back a lifetime warranty meant something, now everything says limited liftime warranty and theirs hidden clauses the let companies get of the hook.

But whatever the prices are techonlogy has gotten better to some extent. So base on what you need your pipe for, is it for a once in awhile used wood stove? Cause if your going to use it every day then cetain are way better then others.

My setup allows me to burn 40+hrs before i have to reload. Cost out of pocket for me was 4,800 for everything.

So for me in the long run i will save tons of money on fuel. But in the beginning I spent a little extra.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #25  
I've lived in Montana for 30+ years and heated with wood the entire time. Installed 4 woodstoves during that stretch [three in mobile homes] and have always gone with the Canadian-made double-walled stainless lined stuff after learning from the mistakes I made in the first one when I used single wall cheap black hardware store pipe inside and insulated Metalbestos exterior chimney pipe..

I had a controlled chimney fire about every two weeks in the winter in that installation due to the rapid creosote buildup caused by thin, cold pipe/resinous woods/oxygen-starved smoldering overnight fires/no rain cap. I would build a quick, hot fire with paper, cardboard and pine cones and get that cheap sheetmetal stove glowing red. The glow would begin to creep up the pipe and a faint roaring sound would begin. I'd step out the front door and see an orange tongue of fire maybe a foot tall coming out of the chimney [always made me think of the Day of Pentecost for some reason]. It would only last for maybe a minute then die out and my chimney was clean!

Of course, that pipe only lasted about 2 1/2 years, then I replaced it with the good stuff and the Pentecostal shows became a thing of the past...

What I've been told by the local stove places is that you should NOT stuff that 2" airspace in the support box/thimble/whatever it's called in your neck of the woods with insulation.

The insulation WILL eventually physically conduct enough heat [if you're burning 24/7] to the opposite side of the airspace to slowly begin to turn the wood framing surrounding the thimble into charcoal. Should you have a chimney fire with resultant higher than normal flue temps that charcoal can ignite at a pretty low temp and presto!-you're buying a new roof if you're very lucky.

If you're not so lucky the charcoal conversion process continues until the wooden framing eventually has no mechanical strength remaining and the chimney collapses and probably sets both floor and roof on fire simultaneously.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #26  
I did my 6" stainless chimney for the woodstove just over a year ago. Used Amazon - Selkirk, Metalbestos, and Amazon Prime. Couldn't find it locally. This worked out great.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #27  
I removed an old, humongous oil furnace that had double wall going up through the above living space and out the roof. I'm thinking about putting a wood stove there to keep my shop warm in winter. I'll put a scavenger on the pipe to reclaim heat and reduce stack temp too.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #28  
I started off buying at HD. But they didn't have the pipe I needed. So I went to Lowes. Then I decided that I wanted double wall pipe all the way up. Lowes didn't have that, or the double wall connectors. I used the class A chimney from Lowes, but had to buy the double wall stove pipe online. A local place does sell stoves among other things, but their prices are crazy. I literally can buy the same thing online for 50% of what they charge. And they don't have much inventory, they want you to wait a week to pick it up. WTH, I can order it, get it delivered cheaper? No brainer.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #29  
I've lived in Montana for 30+ years and heated with wood the entire time. Installed 4 woodstoves during that stretch [three in mobile homes] and have always gone with the Canadian-made double-walled stainless lined stuff after learning from the mistakes I made in the first one when I used single wall cheap black hardware store pipe inside and insulated Metalbestos exterior chimney pipe..

I had a controlled chimney fire about every two weeks in the winter in that installation due to the rapid creosote buildup caused by thin, cold pipe/resinous woods/oxygen-starved smoldering overnight fires/no rain cap. I would build a quick, hot fire with paper, cardboard and pine cones and get that cheap sheetmetal stove glowing red. The glow would begin to creep up the pipe and a faint roaring sound would begin. I'd step out the front door and see an orange tongue of fire maybe a foot tall coming out of the chimney [always made me think of the Day of Pentecost for some reason]. It would only last for maybe a minute then die out and my chimney was clean!

Of course, that pipe only lasted about 2 1/2 years, then I replaced it with the good stuff and the Pentecostal shows became a thing of the past...

What I've been told by the local stove places is that you should NOT stuff that 2" airspace in the support box/thimble/whatever it's called in your neck of the woods with insulation.

The insulation WILL eventually physically conduct enough heat [if you're burning 24/7] to the opposite side of the airspace to slowly begin to turn the wood framing surrounding the thimble into charcoal. Should you have a chimney fire with resultant higher than normal flue temps that charcoal can ignite at a pretty low temp and presto!-you're buying a new roof if you're very lucky.

If you're not so lucky the charcoal conversion process continues until the wooden framing eventually has no mechanical strength remaining and the chimney collapses and probably sets both floor and roof on fire simultaneously.

I bought a insulation barrier that keeps the insulation away. It's pretty slick, sheet metal, with a sliding inner piece, and a outer shell.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #30  
Don't forget chimney height, too.

One of the articles previously linked went into it at depth, but here is my observation:
The chimney on my house is jusrt a few feet from the peak, and sticks up about 2' higher...right in line with the recommendations. The fireplace has always had excellent draft.

Our next-door-neighbor's fireplace is near the back corner of their house. Not sure if it passes the 2' higher within 10' rule, it might, bit it is definitely shorter than the peak. They added glass doors and vents and heat tubes and who knows what, but no matter, it always smoked them out of the room...gave away their wood when they moved. I don't think the current owners have even tried to run it.

So regardless of the type of pipe, not using enough of it to get a good draft will also cause you grief.