Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!!

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #41  
Yikes! That's expensive. Down here, if you want heat in the shop, you open a door. :) But if I had to have stove pipe I'd make my own. I have the sheet metal tools to form and do a junction crimp. (A stove pipe crimper from c.1864) A locking seam is easy to make. I've made antique car mufflers and the hardest part was figuring the seam allowance.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #42  
It's made out of rock minerals. They draw fibers out of the molten rock, Also called mineral wool or stone wool but Rockwool is actually a trade name sort of like everyone calling hot sauce "Tabasco sauce" no matter who makes it.

That explains it dead on. A trade name becoming a household name, the best example in Holland would be the Bahco, which is the Swedish brand which is known for it's adjustable wrenches.

Rockwool was used at my former employer in exhaust silencers for wheel loaders

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #43  
6 inch Schedule 10 sewer pipe. $120 for 22ft incl delivery. Tried the regular home depot 6 inch pipe, lasted 3 months then rusted out and fell over. The sched 10 came from the local plumbing wholesaler and I expect to get at least 20 years out of it and at lesser cost. This was for shop only no way it would pass any building codes - too robust and safe to be accepted by the building inspector.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #44  
6 inch Schedule 10 sewer pipe. $120 for 22ft incl delivery. Tried the regular home depot 6 inch pipe, lasted 3 months then rusted out and fell over. The sched 10 came from the local plumbing wholesaler and I expect to get at least 20 years out of it and at lesser cost. This was for shop only no way it would pass any building codes - too robust and safe to be accepted by the building inspector.

Yes regular stove pipe isn't worth the $$ or time to install, but what is that Schedule 10 sewer pipe?, that sounds affordable and fire safe-ish.....

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #45  
For my shop I just purchased a 20 foot length of 1/4 inch wall 6 inch pipe from the scrap dealer for $100. While it doesn't meet code, it will never burn out and allows for a safe chimney. One could always brick it up and that would actually meet code in many areas. Unfortunately we live in a regulated world, but if you have any ability to side step a bit, this is a great low cost alternative.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #46  
What you are paying for is fire protection. The stainless double or triple wall stove pipe is made from inconel for the inner liner, a layer of insulation, and then a stainless jacket on the outside. I know the triple wall also has a path so air can be drawn up through the stove pipe on the outside of the insulation. If you have a chimney fire the creosote inside the pipe will burn at an amazingly high temperature. If you don't use it I would make sure to keep your chimney clean.

/ Cost of chimney pipe...holy s***!!! #47  
I just priced some SS DuraPlus 6 in. x 36 in. Triple-Wall Chimney Stove Pipe, 7 for $600.00, that's getting to almost doable, for me to put a chimney block chimney in will be about the same cost with more work, time for a re-think, I only have till November.