Could Yanmar Make It The Big Four?

/ Could Yanmar Make It The Big Four? #21  
Yes it is possible that Yanmar can develop a dealer network. Most CUT potential end users know of the JD/Yanmar agreements. There are 130,000 CUTS sold new every year and at least 20,000 Grey Market tractors coming into the USA. The average CUT owner will use their tractor less than 50 hours a year. Take into account top quality CUTS will last 20-30 years and rust out before they wear out. If TBNers will think they will realize which dealers need the Yanmar tractors in their marketing mix. JD has good sales numbers but realize Kubota's sales are almost double of that of JD's CUT's. There is some good competition going on for 3-6 and Yanmar likely could be there quickly.

/ Could Yanmar Make It The Big Four? #22  
Soundguy,
Do you suppose that after the JD/Yanmar agreement goes away that people will be able to get greymarket Yanmar parts thru Yanmar legally ?

/ Could Yanmar Make It The Big Four? #23  
Deere's new 4x20's (which replaced the large chassis 4x10's) have Deere engines. The 3x20's (midchassis) are due soon, and the specs LOOK like they will also use Deere engines. All sport a HUGE jump in HP, at much lower rpm's, BTW...

I think Yanmar would do really well, not only selling CUTs through their existing industrial dealers, but making that equipment available to more dealers, who will want to offer their CUTs. I would have loved to see their newest engines in Deere's equipment.

strange things happen. We are just seeing our first Daimler diesels in Chrysler products. (Liberty, Sprinter and did i hear PT?) It seems crazy that the worlds largest diesel manufacturer would buy engines from another supplier for their trucks. Don't worry, they will keep those folks at Cummins busy for a while....

/ Could Yanmar Make It The Big Four? #25  
To a certain degree I think we may see a bit of the "Bradley-McMicheal factor" happen with the CUT market. That being the sudden growth and then slowly merger after merger to go back to status quo.

Examples?

Snowmachines at one time were manufactured by 34 manufacturers. Alouette, AMF, Boa Ski, Evinrude, Massey Fergusen, Scorpion, Solo, Hirth etc aren't doing so hot with market share these days. For a number of years they were even down to 4 (AC,Ski-doo, Polaris, Yamaha) and now they are slowly growing again.

The Class 9 truck industry consists of Paccar (Pete and Kenny
), Daimler (Freightliner, Sterling, Western Star), International, and Volvo (volvo and Mack). But when our company first started up we had a heck of a lot more selection than that. Hendrickson, Dodge and GMC were even in on it for a while.

It just seems that when a market explodes in sales (like CUT's are doing right now) that everybody wants in on it. I'm not saying that 15 years from now there will only be 4 or 5 companies but I do think we will see less.

/ Could Yanmar Make It The Big Four? #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do you suppose that after the JD/Yanmar agreement goes away that people will be able to get greymarket Yanmar parts thru Yanmar legally )</font>

I doubt it. In fact.. I would guess that it would even be harder.. and more 'sneaking' would have to happen.

I don't think it is the jd/yanmar agreement that curtails the used parts issue. I think it is more that those parts are for unsuported non-domestic units that don't meet the safety requirements of the domestic models... probably a good bit of it is lawsuit liability issue. After all.. if they provide parts for their no-rops no pto shield machines.. someone dies.. they might get sued .. I know we have older domestics here that are in the same bucket.. but I think the jap companies are a tad hesitant about american 'drop of a hat' big$ lawsuit culture we are developing.

Soundguy

/ Could Yanmar Make It The Big Four? #27  
Thanks Soundguy,
I was just curious as to why one cannot get parts for the grey tractors. I am not interested in a grey tractor, unless maybe an old Ford /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I just believe that the SE Asia re conditioned tractors are pretty much worn out before they are "reconditioned" and sold here. Would take one for free, but that is about it.
Ben

/ Could Yanmar Make It The Big Four? #28  
The grey yanmar are just laike any other used tractor.. ya gott look hard and be your own detective.

If it is low hours and 'rebuilt' that should be a flag.. Why should a low hour unit need rebuilding unless it had the snot worked out of it and no maintenance.

Rtv extruded out of every casting mating surface also bears inspection.. painted hoses and belts does to.. says 'auction' paint job on it.

There are many good dealers out there that support their product.. just gotta keep your whits about you.

Soundguy

/ Could Yanmar Make It The Big Four? #29  
The dealer that Yanmar has been visiting is Rainbow Ag. http://www.rainbowag.com/html/equipment.html
Yanmar, Rainbow Ag, and a large vineyard management company in the Napa Valley http://www.wvmgmt.com/ have been working together to develop a crawler vineyard tractor. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Board/yanmar/Number/396471/page/0/view//sb/5/o/all/fpart/all/vc/1 The owner of Rainbow Ag, is giddy about the possibility of selling Yanmar tractors. As you can see from his website he is a JD dealer. I presume tat he will continue selling green when he begins selling the new Yanmar tractors. If other dealers throughout the US are like Rainbow, they will sell several makes of tractors. If this is the case, many dealerships will become Yanmar dealers to block other large dealerships from taking the market share.

/ Could Yanmar Make It The Big Four? #30  
<font color="green"> If this is the case, many dealerships will become Yanmar dealers to block other large dealerships from taking the market share. </font>

The presumption is that Yanmar will make a great tractor, which is probably a safe presumption. However, money being what it is to so many people, brands like Mahindra and Branson seem to be growing although their numbers are still pretty small. I guess my observation is, why a dealer snap up Yanmar instead of one of the brands that is already here? Within 8 miles of my house I have a major Kubota/Case/Cub dealer, a JD dealer and a New Holland/Branson dealer. If the JD dealer picks up Yanmar that will give him another premium brand, but I am not sure that one more choice will dramatically alter the market. Over time I think it may, if Yanmar is price competitive. But the Korean machines seem to be very competitive in their pricing (although Kioti seems to be priced very close to the major brands and has an Oct 1 price increase). Will Yanmar be able to compete on price with Mahindra and still offer all the features consumers want? Kioti does that very well, but is losing its price advantage quickly. Currently no "minor" brand seems to have enough dealerships to really be a national competitor to the "big 3" and that will the first challenge Yanmar has, second will be the pricing issue.