Could Yanmar Make It The Big Four?

/ Could Yanmar Make It The Big Four? #31  
Question????? Dont forget about the number 1 tractor i the world MF!! When you talk about 1,2,3,4,5,6, they cannot be excluded!! My 2 cents...................

JD ending its association with Yanmar? Has this been confirmed!!

If Yanmar can build the rest of the CUT like the engines........The more the merrier!!

Take care

Will

/ Could Yanmar Make It The Big Four? #32  
I really think Yanmar could become one of the biggies...they've been building CUTs for John Deere for at least 15 years.

Now, they need to take a lesson from the Japanese automotive manufacturers...have the design work done in the USA.

Not to offend anyone, but every Yanmar I've seen looks rinky-dink. I know they can build a solid tractor, but they just need a robust appearence...like the Deere x70, x90 series.

Then, I think they'd sell like it;s going outta style!

/ Could Yanmar Make It The Big Four? #33  
Roy,

Good point on the design issue. Of course the newer F series Yanmars have come a long ways in that regard from the older 2-cylinder 2-wheel-drive YM's.

Yanmar has been affiliated with John Deere for about 30 years now. I'd be curious if they really are going to go separate ways, or if this is just a rumor. Anybody know?

/ Could Yanmar Make It The Big Four? #34  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I guess my observation is, why a dealer snap up Yanmar instead of one of the brands that is already here.............Will Yanmar be able to compete on price with Mahindra and still offer all the features consumers want )</font>

Two things going for yanmar are: 1St. it used to be a domestic unit.. so there is already a small foothold here that never left.. as the domestic units still are supported by the parts network . 2ND The yanmar grey unit following is quite large.. probably larger than any of the other grey units. This shows decent brand loyality, and familiarity. Yanmar/japaneese craftsmanship is pretty much a given ( look at other scut/cut engines by the big 3 ).

As for options vs price. I see lots of people buying used yanmars that are similar in price to new economy brands... that says that someone is willing to pay for a percieved 'better' tractor.. even if it is older and lacks some of the dealer support. Kind of a similar argument with the jinma chineese tractors. They are a domestic sales product.. have a growing parts support and name recognition due to the big suppliers like northern tools... yet lots of people will still purchase a used grey yanmar...

like others.. just my .02$

Soundguy

/ Could Yanmar Make It The Big Four? #35  
Soundguy, I tend to agree with much of what you've written, but looking around TBN I also think there are a lot of buyers out there who gravitate to the cheapest price. The Century, Branson, Kioti, Mahindra and Jinmas areas on TBN all have some very vocal advocates who say that my brand is just as good as the big 3 brands but it cost less. And I am not argueing that point, but they chose on price. It seems to me that Yanmar, being a Japanese company, will suffer from the higher material costs and higher labor rates that many Japanese companies suffer from. They can beat those costs by going offshore and having their tractors assembled here or in Mexico or even Korea, but I suspect that they won't want to do that if they have the capacity in Japan because they will no longer be producing some of the JD products. So I wonder how price competitive they will be??? JD and NH both assemble their CUTs here for a reason, to save money. Will Yanmar be able to do that while they try to enter the market?

Dave, as for the question about JD & Yanmar. There have been news articles detailing their separation as business partners. It is not an all at once cut off, but more a phasing out of the partnership over a period of time. I would venture to say the 2 brands will remain friendly for a long period of time, if for no other reason than parts support!!!

/ Could Yanmar Make It The Big Four? #36  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( there are a lot of buyers out there who gravitate to the cheapest price. The Century, Branson, Kioti, Mahindra and Jinmas areas on TBN all have some very vocal advocates who say that my brand is just as good as the big 3 brands but it cost less. )</font>

Oh sure.. I didn't mean to imply that no one was looking for an inexpensive tractor. Heck... it really makes you think about a 3400$ tractor inthe 20hp range.

That said.. I don't think the jinma tractors can claim to be just as good as the big three.. lets be reasonable.. just looking at thier threads.. as soon as you get your jinma.. the going recomendations are to change the nuts and bolts.. new battery.. drain all fluids... etc.. etc.. etc..

When my NH shows up from the dealr.. I've paid at least twice as much.. but also don't have to do any of that other stuff. This makes a distinction for price vs fit/finish/quality. For those that demand the fit/finish/quality.. a big 3 dealer is the way to go.

For those not scared to put a few hours work and getting greasy on their brand new tractor, and saving a bundle of cash.. an economy brand is the way to go...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Will Yanmar be able to do that while they try to enter the market )</font>

Well.. they've done it once...who knows. I also agree.. i think they will try to keep manufacturing centralized.

Soundguy

/ Could Yanmar Make It The Big Four? #37  
Will Yanmar assemble tractors in the US if the deem it to be a wise business decision?

I say yes. It is not as big of a change as it may sound. There is already a Yanmar engine facility not far from me in Adairsville, GA. It does not appear that it would be difficult for this facility to expand and allow even more assembly operations, if that was what they wanted to do. BTW, this is on I-75 just a little south of Mahindra's new facility in Calhoun, GA.

Jeff