Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP)

/ Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP) #22  
I too at one time was looking for the best diesel truck for my needs. I was finally able to find the highly desirable early 98 model with 12v, 4wd, quad cab. The drilling the case to lock the pin is no good if it has moved you can not put back in place. The tab method is the way to go. All that is needed to buy is a timing seal kit, the tab is easily cut out of sheet metal the thickness of a washer. I did this on mine. I would like to note if you do this...... buy a engine barring tool ($45-50) and to remove the fan pulley, clamp a pair of vicegrips to the large nut and turn it by using a air impact hammer with a pickle fork to turn vice grips. The only real weak point is the auto trannys. They barely hold up at stock power and don't like more. Good news is extra power is cheap to get and these trannys can be built for any power level. These trucks are rock solid. The engine will run on alternative fuels easily. I think these are much more reliable than the newer ones. Seems to me when someone has a issue with a modern diesel engine not running it is due to a electrical problem. The 12v is mostly immune to this. The 24v has a bad habit of the lift pumps ruining the injector pumps, again not a issue on the 12v. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/ is the place for cummins info.

/ Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP) #23  
oh and don't forget about the dreaded "53" block that is known to crack, these are found on 24v's not on 12v's.

/ Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP) #24  
I hear ya. And, normally, I'd not get overly concerned about something going wrong with a 10-15 year old vehicle. You pays your money and takes your chances.

But, I'm looking for a dependable 1T PU for towing my parade tractors on a 10K GN trailer. I'd be mighty POed if the KDP hit me while towing at 65 mph on I5 with an 18-wheeler on my tail. Could be a big safety concern then.

I'm good friends with the service manager of one of the largest Dodge dealerships in the country. He's been there for almost 20 years. He's never had a 5.9 come in with the engine damaged from the dowel pin dropping into the timing gears. He has a whole three ring binder full of claim nightmares where Dodge has refused to warrant 5.9 Cummins engines were they have proof of the total junk toilet paper type of filter membrane in Fram filters coming apart and plugging oil passages in the engine. After knowing him for so long and after running the heck out of my '96 5.9 Cummins powered Dodge, I'd be far more concerned to know if someone has been running a junk Fram filter on the truck. The odds of that trashing the engine are far greater than the internet sensation "KDP".

/ Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP)

Thanks for these links.

What a mess!!!. That poor guy was victimized by both the KDP and a loose bolt that got into the timing gears and ruined the aluminum timing gear cover. However, he was lucky that none of those gears weren't ruined and that the cam shaft wasn't jammed by those loose parts.

Wonder how much this job would cost at a dealer's shop.

/ Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP) #26  
oh and don't forget about the dreaded "53" block that is known to crack, these are found on 24v's not on 12v's.

I had forgot all about the 53's. Also this should not concern Flusher but I know a couple guys who blew out the inter-cooler on Dodge's with chips. They can handle a little extra pressure but I know 2 guys that blew the sides out of them. I think it has a metal core and plastic sides and the transition between the two is where they separated. A easy fix with a aftermarket cooler but costly.

Chris

/ Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP) #27  
Thanks for these links.

Wonder how much this job would cost at a dealer's shop.

Shop rates in my area are around $60 per hour. Looks like it would be a solid day job so maybe $600 in labor plus parts...

I know our shop rates are low so many places may be in the $75-$100 range. We have cheap shop rates due to the large amount of unemployment thanks to the Auto Industry. My county was at 18%.

Chris

Shop rates in my area are around $60 per hour. Looks like it would be a solid day job so maybe $600 in labor plus parts...

I know our shop rates are low so many places may be in the $75-$100 range. We have cheap shop rates due to the large amount of unemployment thanks to the Auto Industry. My county was at 18%.

Chris

More like $100/hr at the local Ford dealer's shop around here.

In checking a few websites for the KDP tab fix kit, I found that several vendors offer kits for the 1998.5 to 2002 24-valve 5.9L Cummins. Looks like the smart move is to concentrate on 2003 and later models to avoid KDP worries.

The "53" block glitch is a problem for the 24-valve engine from 1998.5 to 2001. Cracks show up in the water jacket on the engine block.

/ Cummins 5.9L diesel and the killer dowel pin (KDP) #29  
Your trading the worries of 12v dowel pin for worries of lift pump failure. If you get a 24v put a pressure gauge or warning light it for the lift pump fuel pressure.If the lift fails the truck will still run but it will destroy the pricey injector pump. If your looking to build a fast truck, it's a no brainier. The p-pump on the 12v can fuel better than 24v injector pump.

Your trading the worries of 12v dowel pin for worries of lift pump failure. If you get a 24v put a pressure gauge or warning light it for the lift pump fuel pressure.If the lift fails the truck will still run but it will destroy the pricey injector pump. If your looking to build a fast truck, it's a no brainier. The p-pump on the 12v can fuel better than 24v injector pump.

Yep, I'll definitely get a pressure gauge installed to monitor that pesky lift pump, if there's not one there already.