Cutting trails on a slope

/ Cutting trails on a slope #1  

12Bravo

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 TLB, Gill 5' Scraper Blade (Tilt/Angle)
I have been trying to think of the best way (without renting an excavator with a blade) to cut a trail around to the backside of my property and up a slope.

I have a reasonable level spot to start but not sure of the best way to make a leading edge into the slope on the up hill side and then move the dirt to the down hillside and continue.

This is what I was thinking, tell me what you all think. Good, bad or indifferent.....

Back up to where I want slope to start, use backhoe to break soil up and even move what I can to the down hillside of slope. Move tractor and use a hand compactor or vibrating compactor to get down hill side firm. Then repeat the process over and over again till I need to turn, Like a switch back.......Not a clue how to do this!

Thanks!

/ Cutting trails on a slope #2  
You might be able to do this by angling the scraper blade you have lower on the high side of the hill and make mulitlple small cut passes. I did this with a box blade. I was learning how the whole time I did it so Im no expert, but it worked.

/ Cutting trails on a slope
That's a good idea. I was thinking about that last night but was concerned with effective it would be. Do you have any pictures of your trail?

/ Cutting trails on a slope #4  
I'm guessing it's to steep to use a turning plow towards the down hill side?

Ronnie

/ Cutting trails on a slope #5  
The best way to cut a side hill trail is to start from the top and work your way down. Can you get up there or do you have no choice to start from the bottom?

Working from the top, once you get your original 'flat' spot just keep digging in with the FEL and flip the dirt in front of you, the slope will help move it to the downhill side. Depending on how steep your slope is, you need to take into consideration how much 'bench' you need. It's the relationship of how much cut/fill/backslope you need relative to the original slope to create stability on the new trail.

/ Cutting trails on a slope #6  
Here's a dumb question? Wouldn't you first need to create a dirt or ground "catch" so that anything you move of the dirt has a place to fall and stay? Other than that every movement of dirt falls/ rolls to the bottom instead of to a stop point that you could compact.

This assumes of course that your sidehill trail is not being built at the very bottom of the hill where there is no place for the dirt to fall/roll to :)

The best way to cut a side hill trail is to start from the top and work your way down. Can you get up there or do you have no choice to start from the bottom?

Working from the top, once you get your original 'flat' spot just keep digging in with the FEL and flip the dirt in front of you, the slope will help move it to the downhill side. Depending on how steep your slope is, you need to take into consideration how much 'bench' you need. It's the relationship of how much cut/fill/backslope you need relative to the original slope to create stability on the new trail.

I "Might" be able to get to the top. But it is looking unlikely, I have an old logging road that goes all the way to the backside of the property. But it doesn't got to the top of the hill where I want to start a cabin build and garden site. Plenty of sun up there!

I do have a STEEP up slope that I have cleared for ATV fun, but I wouldn't feel safe running the tractor up that, at least not now. It's not wide enough and I don't want to widen it to that fit the tractor unless I have too.

I will take some pictures and post to this thread as see what you all think.

This tractor is a curse and a blessing, now I have not excuse "Not" to get stuff done..lol

Here's a dumb question? Wouldn't you first need to create a dirt or ground "catch" so that anything you move of the dirt has a place to fall and stay? Other than that every movement of dirt falls/ rolls to the bottom instead of to a stop point that you could compact.

This assumes of course that your sidehill trail is not being built at the very bottom of the hill where there is no place for the dirt to fall/roll to :)

No, this is what the bench is for. I plan to cut into hillside the full width that is needed for tractor to fit plus 18" on each side and 24" on each side cleared trees.

Now, for an ATV trail, I would cut a half bench and just compact dirt till it stopped sliding down and became firm. 600#'s compared to 5,000#'s, full bench is the only way I would feel safe running tractor on that trail.

/ Cutting trails on a slope #9  
I really can't be tremendously difficult seeing as you have a backhoe. You will make better headway by digging into the side of the embankment to set your grade rather than piling loose fill on the drop-off side. If you are working with soil and not rock and gravel it's pretty difficult to build a road bed that won't just wash out. Any place you build a switchback will likely need some drainage pipe or big-O to prevent rain erosion.

Work safe and slow, keep your tractor as level as possible at all times and like the CDN Farm Boy said, if you are using the FEL, start from the top of the hill so that gravity is working for you. With the backhoe it is far less of a problem starting from the bottom.

It actually sounds kinda like fun to me, but I'm strange that way :construction:

/ Cutting trails on a slope #10  
I'm not an expert on this, but full bench with the spoils on the side as a bonus sounds good to me. Just gently lay the spoils off to the side, and compact them by tamping them down with the backhoe bucket. Check out this site or US Forest Service about erosion control methods. Make it wide enough to start, and wider later:)