Cutting trails on a slope

/ Cutting trails on a slope #31  
I watched one of the videos in this thread where a motorcycle was climbing a trail. Yikes . . off roading is one thing . . . But narrow roads and steep drop offs and nothing to stop ypu from sliding off is not recreational to.me :) ...

:| Where is this place, it sounds like awesome fun to me!

EOTAgrandVet5.jpg

/ Cutting trails on a slope #32  
12Bravo,

I think you have some pretty good answers. And yes at 20 and 40 I used to ride dirt bikes and scramblers in some unique terrains. But I wasn't responsible for maintaining most of those terrains either.

I don't know how old you or your kids are . . . but my point is . . . are they invested in the efgort of helping create the trail and maintaining it with you? A few years ago we had a 12 inch summer rain in a period of 4 hours. Anyone could have one. In western WI we don't have flat land even for many farms . . much less for recreational purposes. Decisions in this area regarding trails are ongoing committments . . . the steeper . . the greater the committment to the future.

And building a dry cabin at the top certainly has advantages during the fair weather seasons.

My point is merely to mention that as we age we depend on our brain to function.more as our body functions a bit slower or for less hours per day. I'm a long way from being "done" but as retirement is coming in sight . . I'll appreciate having easier or less committments that I have to do . . and more things I can choose to do. Like you, I also don't have the financial luxury to hire everything done or carry on at the same speed as when I was 40.

I hope your kids and grandkids are willing to participate and be invested inthe present and future needs of the project :)

Happy trails :)

/ Cutting trails on a slope #33  
So, it looks like there is about a 100 foot rise from the road to the cabin. A deep U to the south doesn't look like a bad route to construct. What are you going to do about power?

/ Cutting trails on a slope
So, it looks like there is about a 100 foot rise from the road to the cabin. A deep U to the south doesn't look like a bad route to construct. What are you going to do about power?

Power.....ah, no power. Oil lamps and wood stove is the plan, this is more of a camping spot for me and the kids to just enjoy some during the summer and fair weather time periods. Plus a place for my wife to sit on porch and read while over looking the valley below.

In the long range future, I might tear the cabin down and turn this into another home site. This all depends on if we plan to stay on this property or sell and move on to large more "Farm" worthy places. Not sure yet, I'm a "Redneck" and my wife is a "City Slicker", so baby steps on where and how much "Off-Grid" I can get us. Happy Wife Happy Life.....FYI..

/ Cutting trails on a slope #35  
Perfect! I was wondering about trenching in underground power. Living off the grid is cool. You can buy cheap solar panels now for niceties for the better half. People up here put them on ice shacks to power LED lights, charge cell phones and computers, and power small appliances.

Was I close on the 100 ft rise to the cabin. If so, your contour lines look like a pretty manageable trail. A project that should give you satisfaction.

Last edited:
   / Cutting trails on a slope #36  
That's a good idea. I was thinking about that last night but was concerned with effective it would be. Do you have any pictures of your trail?
No pictures as I don't live there any more. But I didn't do a lot of engineering (despite the fact Im a retired engineer). I just got on my tractor and tried to make what I had work. Im retired and had time and I enjoyed it!

/ Cutting trails on a slope #37  
You might be able to do this by angling the scraper blade you have lower on the high side of the hill and make mulitlple small cut passes. I did this with a box blade. I was learning how the whole time I did it so Im no expert, but it worked.

We might be making this more complicated than it needs to be. From the looks of most of your slope, this method might work the easiest for most of your trail. I know you don't have a box blade, but they aren't that expensive. Those scarifiers would help loosen things up, and make it easier for a rear blade.

When do we start seeing pics?

/ Cutting trails on a slope
We might be making this more complicated than it needs to be. From the looks of most of your slope, this method might work the easiest for most of your trail. I know you don't have a box blade, but they aren't that expensive. Those scarifiers would help loosen things up, and make it easier for a rear blade.

When do we start seeing pics?

I have been so focused on cleaning up my brush and working on the water issue on driveway. I will get back into the woods once I get one more tree moved and I can get the ATV down the trail....soon I hope. I miss riding and just relaxing in the woods.

I started another post I am about to post pictures of the driveway issue. Busy busy busy around here, weather warming and stuff to do...Life is GOOD!

Also, I'm on a fixed income, so $500 for a box blade won't happen. I just bought the tractor and a scraper blade. Maybe in a few months if all works out. But I will have to get trees cut and gravel delivered and a mad poured for the saw mill first.

Last edited:
   / Cutting trails on a slope #39  
Now that you have a back blade, you can start scratching things up :trafficcone:

/ Cutting trails on a slope #40  
I'm on a fixed income

Not picking on you, Bravo, but where does this come from?
Fixed at $100/year, $1M/year, $1B/year?

Who's income isn't fixed? If mine weren't, it'd be cranked to 11!!
Even if you're hourly (I'm salaried), there'd likely be a max hours/week you are allowed to work.

Just ranting. Nevermind.... :D