Daily Driver 1994 F-350 4x4 Cummins Powered Flatbed

/ Daily Driver 1994 F-350 4x4 Cummins Powered Flatbed #21  
Nice truck. How is the trans mated to the engine? Does it have the ford transfer case? Did the engine and trans come from a 2 1/2 ford truck. Currently running 7.3 's turbo and non. Thank you for any info.

/ Daily Driver 1994 F-350 4x4 Cummins Powered Flatbed #22  
It must be a cummins swap. Even in 94 Dodge was using cummins while ford was using international (powerstroke or power joke as some call it).

Good luck with the truck! would love to see some video if you get a chance:thumbsup:
Indeed it is a swap. Along with that, before the subject comes up, Ford does not and never did own Cummins. If I recall correctly, Ford had a little interest for awhile but that was the extent of it.

Nice truck by the way. If you do decide to check on the dowel pin, go with the "tab" method and check all the bolts holding the front cover on. My neighbor had one drop out on his 92'. Snapped the cam gear off.

When I tabbed my 97' years ago, I too found bolts that were less than torque spec.

Best Ford conversion I ever saw was on one of the websites. Guy with rather excellant welding skills had stuffed an 8.3 with a ten speed in one. The 5.9 comes in around 900 lbs and the 8.3 is 1,100 or so I believe. Not to mention the size and weight of a RR.

A 97' crew with a 5.9 would be sweet!

/ Daily Driver 1994 F-350 4x4 Cummins Powered Flatbed
opa-locka Florida, which is pretty much Miami, I did buy all 6 tires new which wasn't cheap I had bridgestone traction tires in the rear and michelens up front the whole package came out to $1800 when it was all said and done

More than I willing to put in for tires and wheels at this point, But all things considered not a bad value for all that, Thanks for your responses.

tires actually still look good, unless it's just a missleading pic.

ditto on no rust.

Well the fronts will pass inspection for now but If I didn't need to get that silly yellow sticker on my windshield right now they would be good enough all around.

I got lucky with this one.

These guys have 19.5 wheels and tires, any size and style:
Rickson Wheel Manufacturing

I stumbled upon those last night while looking around, Definitely a good option if I cant buy some used. Thanks

It must be a cummins swap. Even in 94 Dodge was using cummins while ford was using international (powerstroke or power joke as some call it).

Good luck with the truck! would love to see some video if you get a chance:thumbsup:

Yep its a cummins Swap for sure, the truck came into this world with a 7.3 turbo powerstroke.

Thanks, Ill see what I can do about the video

Nice find! That would be a sweet ride for everyday towing.

My '99 Super Duty tow rig has 285K on it right now. I've been thinking about a Cummins / 6 spd. swap for quite awhile.

A guy pulled into the parking lot at an ice cream shop the other night with a Cummins powered Riviera! Sure got my attention!

Thats the plan for it, Lighter trailers for now, but if the need to haul heavy arises ill be ready. Its the only 4wd thing we own now with a gooseneck on it so if it keeps on raining I might have to use it for that sooner than expected.

I would 100% recomend it in place of the 7.3, hands down.

i will say.. had I not found the right 7.3psd.. that a dodge with a 5.9 was my very next choice...

I looked at dodges with the cummins for a long time but ill admit It scared me off what all the vibration and torque does to there bodys over time. I just felt is was a ticking time bomb before the body falls apart around the engine.

Nice truck. How is the trans mated to the engine? Does it have the ford transfer case? Did the engine and trans come from a 2 1/2 ford truck. Currently running 7.3 's turbo and non. Thank you for any info.

There mated together using a ford to cummins adapter plate you can buy. No the engine came from a 1990 model d250 dodge (non intercooled).

company's like this supply parts for the swaps:
Destroked - THE Cummins Conversion Company : Home Page
fordcummins.com - Increase Horsepower with Ford Cummins Diesel conversion kits

Indeed it is a swap. Along with that, before the subject comes up, Ford does not and never did own Cummins. If I recall correctly, Ford had a little interest for awhile but that was the extent of it.

Nice truck by the way. If you do decide to check on the dowel pin, go with the "tab" method and check all the bolts holding the front cover on. My neighbor had one drop out on his 92'. Snapped the cam gear off.

When I tabbed my 97' years ago, I too found bolts that were less than torque spec.

Best Ford conversion I ever saw was on one of the websites. Guy with rather excellant welding skills had stuffed an 8.3 with a ten speed in one. The 5.9 comes in around 900 lbs and the 8.3 is 1,100 or so I believe. Not to mention the size and weight of a RR.

A 97' crew with a 5.9 would be sweet!

I wholeheartedly agree about the tab, Ive seen people just tap it back in but to me that's like a band-aid on a bullet wound.

8.3 would have a definite coolness factor but I think is too much overkill for a one ton or smaller.

Let me ask you something: When you tabbed yours did you use locktight or a lock washer (or equivalent) on the bolt?

-Mills

/ Daily Driver 1994 F-350 4x4 Cummins Powered Flatbed #25  
From what I've read, The KDP was not an issue except on the 1994-97 model Cummins engines. Don't think I've ever heard of any pre- 94's having a problem. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.:D

Jim

From what I've read, The KDP was not an issue except on the 1994-97 model Cummins engines. Don't think I've ever heard of any pre- 94's having a problem. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.:D

Jim

It was a problem on all 12v cummins in the dodges from 1989-1998 1/2 year models. Also on some of the 24 valves too if im not mistaken.

-Mills

Well I went back to the house were the truck is currently at today to see what all it is going to take to get it up to my familys standards of daily driving roadworthy-ness.

So far from all of my checks it looks good, It looks like:
complete fluid/ filter change
some sort of new tires
one new headlight bezel
get the tachometer working (they didn't buy the adapter parts for the swap)
Check out the back fuel tank (been with out gas cap for quite some time)
put fuel settings back to normal
fix left hand speaker
new ignition switch (acts up every now and then)
windshield wipers
check on status of KDP
Clean!!!

Thats all I can think of for now. And thats plenty

-Mills

Here are a few pictures I took today: (last one is me being a proud papa):D

Attachments

• P5081280.jpg
    P5081280.jpg
    680.8 KB · Views: 327
  • P5081283.jpg
    P5081283.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 354
  • P5081285.jpg
    P5081285.jpg
    945.6 KB · Views: 583
  • P5081297.jpg
    P5081297.jpg
    1,010.8 KB · Views: 758
   / Daily Driver 1994 F-350 4x4 Cummins Powered Flatbed #28  
Nice find! That would be a sweet ride for everyday towing.

My '99 Super Duty tow rig has 285K on it right now. I've been thinking about a Cummins / 6 spd. swap for quite awhile.

A guy pulled into the parking lot at an ice cream shop the other night with a Cummins powered Riviera! Sure got my attention!

Are you sure the Riviera was Cummins powered? They made a diesel version for a couple of years.

/ Daily Driver 1994 F-350 4x4 Cummins Powered Flatbed #29  
Well I finally found my dream machine the other day and I went and Bought it today. I drove 225 miles round trip to get this beast and drive it back.

A little about this truck:
late 1994 F-350 Cab and Chassis, 4x4, ZF 5 speed was a turbo 7.3 truck
139,000 Miles on the truck
1990 Cummins motor, VE injection pump, Turned up way to high and aftermarket fuel pin.
Other goodies, 3rd gen cummins intercooler, Bigger Radiator, Decent flatbed with LEDs and two nice boxes on the sides.

My plans for it:
Reliable Daily Driver that can get at least 18-20 Mpg, Still Pull a decent load ,and Looks and rides good.

What it Needs:
I need to check and see if the Killer Dowel Pin Problem has Been fixed, Help with the interior (color change), Good service, Tires sometime soon. And some brake work (just in case)

Here it is when I finally got it home, It cruised 70 Mph and Ran Very Very Cool down the road, Over all im pleased with it so far
Nice! I was thinking you might be able to make a good buck by buying late model 6.0 PS powered Fords that had "issues' at distressed goods prices and stuffing a Cummins in it. Anyone know what the "Cummins into a Ford kits" go for?

/ Daily Driver 1994 F-350 4x4 Cummins Powered Flatbed #30  
"They" say you'll spend 10-15 thousand to convert a modern vehicle such as a ford truck to a cummins.